The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biopsy Results – MM

Forums General Melanoma Community Biopsy Results – MM

Participant

Hello all,

Well, my scanxiety (new word I learned today from Charlie S…thanks for giving it a name!!) is over.  The biopsy confirmed malignant melanoma.  I have an appointment with Dr. Jakowski at the Chao Cancer Center at UC Irvine on Wednesday morning.  I'm not wasting any time in fighting back!  The crying is (mostly) over and I'm ready to kick Mel's a$s!!!

Hello all,

Well, my scanxiety (new word I learned today from Charlie S…thanks for giving it a name!!) is over.  The biopsy confirmed malignant melanoma.  I have an appointment with Dr. Jakowski at the Chao Cancer Center at UC Irvine on Wednesday morning.  I'm not wasting any time in fighting back!  The crying is (mostly) over and I'm ready to kick Mel's a$s!!!

Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive and shared positive thoughts.  It is greatly appreciated.  I'm sure I will be looking to you for more advice and shared experiences in coming weeks and months.

Jacki

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        mclaus23
        Participant

Your positive attitude will get you thru this along with your family, friends and support! As I am sure you know,  there have been great advancements in the treatment of melanoma.

Good luck! I will be praying for you.

Maggie

mclaus23
          Participant

Your positive attitude will get you thru this along with your family, friends and support! As I am sure you know,  there have been great advancements in the treatment of melanoma.

Good luck! I will be praying for you.

Maggie

alicia
            Participant

I'm so sorry Jacki to hear you are dealing withthis too.  I'm getting ready to have an ultrasound guided biopsy this thur and you are an inspiration to see how positive you are thru this.  Keep us updated on how your doing.  Thanks for sharing:-)

Alicia Stage 3a w/ mult primaries

jax2007gxp
                Participant

Good luck to you, Alicia!  I had a great radiologist, in spite of a little boo-boo.  He made sure the pathologist was there to ensure we had a great sample for them to review and made me feel so comfortable during the process.  I hope your experience is a positive one for you!!  And I pray for good results.  🙂

Jacki

jax2007gxp
                  Participant

Good luck to you, Alicia!  I had a great radiologist, in spite of a little boo-boo.  He made sure the pathologist was there to ensure we had a great sample for them to review and made me feel so comfortable during the process.  I hope your experience is a positive one for you!!  And I pray for good results.  🙂

Jacki

alicia
                    Participant
                      Thanks so much Jacki:0) I had a little boo boo too. My radiologist did a core biopsy of three nodes that looked abnormal by ultrasound standards. The node under my left armpit he didn’t get numbed up too good and when he pulled the trigger for the core it hurt pretty bad but he quickly injected me with more lidocaine:). Thanks so much for your well wishes I’ll know results early next week.

Much love,
                      Alicia

alicia
                      Participant
                        Thanks so much Jacki:0) I had a little boo boo too. My radiologist did a core biopsy of three nodes that looked abnormal by ultrasound standards. The node under my left armpit he didn’t get numbed up too good and when he pulled the trigger for the core it hurt pretty bad but he quickly injected me with more lidocaine:). Thanks so much for your well wishes I’ll know results early next week.

Much love,
                        Alicia

alicia
                      Participant

I'm so sorry Jacki to hear you are dealing withthis too.  I'm getting ready to have an ultrasound guided biopsy this thur and you are an inspiration to see how positive you are thru this.  Keep us updated on how your doing.  Thanks for sharing:-)

Alicia Stage 3a w/ mult primaries

killmel
                        Participant

Hi Jackie,

For what it is worth, I have experience with Dr. J & UCI. If you decide to go with Dr. J, be ready for Dr. J to give you a limited time when he sees you as a patient. He always seems rushed.

He takes "new" patient on Wednesday, and give you alot of time with him because you are a new patient. Then once you are his patient, you see him on Tuesday and he overbooks himself so that you are lucky to get 10 minutes of his time. Dr. Jakowatz's nursing & administrative staff are not friendl  and caring. They come across asjust doing there job. Also,his staff treats you as a "number"…no personal atttention.

I wish someone had told me about Dr.J. & UCI Chao.

GoodLuck

jax2007gxp
                            Participant

Hi Anon,

Thanks for the heads up.  I will be on the look out for those folks.  So far, I have to say the one woman, Cheryl, with whom I have been working has been a dream in helping me make sure tomorrow's visit is a productive one.

Jacki

killmel
                              Participant

Jacki,

I think that is great to keep your eyes open. Like I said, Dr. J will be charming tomorrow & spend as much time as you want with him.

But it is only AFTER you become his patient, do you become one of MANY of his patient that he only can give 10 minutes during his "normal" Tuesday patient visits. It is like a "bait & switch" scenario. I was shocked how Dr. J'snatttide changes once I was his patient.

I do not like the feeling that he is being rushed & Dr. J is not a good listener. He likes to hear himself talk. When my husband went with me to the office visit, he talked to my husband like I was not in the room.

Cherly is the best person on his staff. You can call her direct.

Carolyn is the worst. She schedules operation & gets Insurance approvals for scans,  etc. She has an attitude & NEVER returns calls. It is very frustrating when you are waiting for her to get back to you.

To talk to any of his staff members you have to leave messages with the main number & hope some will get back to you.

Trust me, I have seen other doctors at other facilities & thyr are very different than the treatment I got from Dr. J & his staff. I highly recommend seeking a second opinion so you have an opportunity to evaluate Dr. J  comparedwith another doctor.

Needless to say, I feel strongly about warning you. I only wish some took the time to tell me about Dr. J & his staff.

Please keep us updates on how thing are going for you.

Good Luck

killmel
                                Participant

i also found dr jakowatz andhis staff to be as stated by the post above. i first thought it was me, but when i are waiting 1 hour to see dr jakowatz (typical wait time is 30-60 minutes, i started to talk to other patient. all seemed to have similair experiences with dr jakowatz..

bottomline, he has a good bed side manner but i question how good a surgeon he is. i had 2 surgeries with dr jakowatz and both times he did NOT get clear margins.

picking the right doctor is so difficult…hope you find the right doctor.

killmel
                                  Participant

i also found dr jakowatz andhis staff to be as stated by the post above. i first thought it was me, but when i are waiting 1 hour to see dr jakowatz (typical wait time is 30-60 minutes, i started to talk to other patient. all seemed to have similair experiences with dr jakowatz..

bottomline, he has a good bed side manner but i question how good a surgeon he is. i had 2 surgeries with dr jakowatz and both times he did NOT get clear margins.

killmel
                                    Participant

killmel
                                      Participant

killmel
                                        Participant

Jacki,

I think that is great to keep your eyes open. Like I said, Dr. J will be charming tomorrow & spend as much time as you want with him.

But it is only AFTER you become his patient, do you become one of MANY of his patient that he only can give 10 minutes during his "normal" Tuesday patient visits. It is like a "bait & switch" scenario. I was shocked how Dr. J'snatttide changes once I was his patient.

I do not like the feeling that he is being rushed & Dr. J is not a good listener. He likes to hear himself talk. When my husband went with me to the office visit, he talked to my husband like I was not in the room.

Cherly is the best person on his staff. You can call her direct.

Carolyn is the worst. She schedules operation & gets Insurance approvals for scans,  etc. She has an attitude & NEVER returns calls. It is very frustrating when you are waiting for her to get back to you.

To talk to any of his staff members you have to leave messages with the main number & hope some will get back to you.

Trust me, I have seen other doctors at other facilities & thyr are very different than the treatment I got from Dr. J & his staff. I highly recommend seeking a second opinion so you have an opportunity to evaluate Dr. J  comparedwith another doctor.

Needless to say, I feel strongly about warning you. I only wish some took the time to tell me about Dr. J & his staff.

Please keep us updates on how thing are going for you.

Good Luck

jax2007gxp
                                          Participant

Hi Anon,

Thanks for the heads up.  I will be on the look out for those folks.  So far, I have to say the one woman, Cheryl, with whom I have been working has been a dream in helping me make sure tomorrow's visit is a productive one.

Jacki

killmel
                                          Participant

Hi Jackie,

For what it is worth, I have experience with Dr. J & UCI. If you decide to go with Dr. J, be ready for Dr. J to give you a limited time when he sees you as a patient. He always seems rushed.

He takes "new" patient on Wednesday, and give you alot of time with him because you are a new patient. Then once you are his patient, you see him on Tuesday and he overbooks himself so that you are lucky to get 10 minutes of his time. Dr. Jakowatz's nursing & administrative staff are not friendl  and caring. They come across asjust doing there job. Also,his staff treats you as a "number"…no personal atttention.

I wish someone had told me about Dr.J. & UCI Chao.

GoodLuck

dutchchic
                                            Participant

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I totally remember that feeling!  

Love the attitude!  Be as strong as you can be!  Fight like a girl!  

and keep us posted!

prayers and a hug!

lol  scanxiety…

dutchchic
                                              Participant

and keep us posted!

prayers and a hug!

lol  scanxiety…

dutchchic
                                                Participant

and keep us posted!

prayers and a hug!

lol  scanxiety…

killmel
                                                    Participant

Duthchic…so good to see your post. How are you doing? Mary

killmel
                                                      Participant

Duthchic…so good to see your post. How are you doing? Mary

dutchchic
                                                      Participant

and keep us posted!

prayers and a hug!

lol  scanxiety…

kkmora
                                                        Participant

Hi Jackie, I found your posts/blogs on random search yahoo….I have the exact same thing that happened to you – now is happening to me…..I have the biopsy scheduled for next week- huge lump on the groin area showed up after 4 years of cancer free…..where are you at now in treatment?

kkmora
                                                          Participant

Hi Jackie, I found your posts/blogs on random search yahoo….I have the exact same thing that happened to you – now is happening to me…..I have the biopsy scheduled for next week- huge lump on the groin area showed up after 4 years of cancer free…..where are you at now in treatment?

kkmora
                                                            Participant

kkmora
                                                              Participant

kkmora
                                                                Participant

kkmora
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics