The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biopsy results back

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Biopsy results back

Participant

Hey all!

Well I got the biopsy results back yesterday from the subcutaneous tumor that was growing on my arm…..Sure enough it's melanoma.  URG!!!  Surgery next week after Pet scan on Wednesday to make sure it hasn't spread anywhere else. (fingers crossed)  They said I was high risk to recur and sure enough I did!  It was just over a year.  So now I guess I'm going back to the Melanoma Center in San Francisco to determine what kind of treatment to do.

Hey all!

Well I got the biopsy results back yesterday from the subcutaneous tumor that was growing on my arm…..Sure enough it's melanoma.  URG!!!  Surgery next week after Pet scan on Wednesday to make sure it hasn't spread anywhere else. (fingers crossed)  They said I was high risk to recur and sure enough I did!  It was just over a year.  So now I guess I'm going back to the Melanoma Center in San Francisco to determine what kind of treatment to do.

It was so hard telling my kids last night and it's scary to think about the future.  I guess if I was going to recur my arm would be the best case scenario vs any organs.  My doctor said that I will likely have these nodules pop up here and there.  The tumor started out the size of a BB when I noticed it and grew to the size of a marble/grape in about 2 months.  I have another one that is the size of a BB just below my belly button that we are going to remove and test too.  That one wasn't biopsied since it was so small but we're going to take it out just in case. 

I know a lot of you have been fighting and it amazes me the strength and courage you all have.  I am in this to fight as well and any input to what kind of treatments have worked or are working would really help me.  Someone told me about a Doctor in Germany that can cure melanoma.  Has anyone heard of this?  What about diet change or any other things I can do?  I refuse to go down without a fight!! 

Also I'm on unemployment right now and have temporary insurance until December 18th.  Could I get social security/disability?  How do I go about getting that so I would have insurance?

Denise

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

Wow Denise, I am really shocked!  Due to the location in relation to where you had the original melanoma I was really hoping this was something else.

My wife and I have a disabled daughter and it took us quite some time to get her on disability/medicaid. I don't know what the laws are where you live but we live in Florida and it took us three appeals to get it. You will have to go online and do some reading and fill out some forms. We had so much trouble getting our daughter approved, we almost thought about talking to a lawyer before it finally came through. You may wish to talk to one as they work on a percentage of the amount of back pay you may receive.

You said you live in California right? Try:

http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHIP-Program-Information/By-State/california.html

http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/1620

Good luck!

MichaelFL
          Participant

Wow Denise, I am really shocked!  Due to the location in relation to where you had the original melanoma I was really hoping this was something else.

My wife and I have a disabled daughter and it took us quite some time to get her on disability/medicaid. I don't know what the laws are where you live but we live in Florida and it took us three appeals to get it. You will have to go online and do some reading and fill out some forms. We had so much trouble getting our daughter approved, we almost thought about talking to a lawyer before it finally came through. You may wish to talk to one as they work on a percentage of the amount of back pay you may receive.

http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHIP-Program-Information/By-State/california.html

Good luck!

DeniseK
              Participant
                Thanks for the links, didn’t realize you could apply right online.
                My doctor said there’s no real rule of thumb when it comes to where your likely to recur. I don’t have any swollen lymph nodes so probably traveling through the blood. The depth of my primary may have something to do with it.
                MichaelFL
                Participant

We did apply online originally, but we were sent forms in the mail that requested additional information. This was done several times over a period of time. I am not sure how they actually do it in CA.

MichaelFL
                  Participant

We did apply online originally, but we were sent forms in the mail that requested additional information. This was done several times over a period of time. I am not sure how they actually do it in CA.

MichaelFL
                    Participant

DeniseK
                      Participant
                        My doctor said there’s no real rule of thumb when it comes to where your likely to recur. I don’t have any swollen lymph nodes so probably traveling through the blood. The depth of my primary may have something to do with it.
                        DeniseK
                        Participant
                        MichaelFL
                        Participant

Good luck!

kwb
                          Participant

Certainly thinking about you and the many others who continue to battle every day.  Wish you the best. 

kwb
                            Participant

Certainly thinking about you and the many others who continue to battle every day.  Wish you the best. 

kwb
                              Participant

dian in spokane
                                Participant

Hi Denise,

I haven't been reading the boards for a couple of years, so I'm not familiar with you, but I have had subQ's removed, two, from my leg back in 09.

When I discovered the first one, I wanted surgery immediately, then some kind of treatment. I soon found out there was no trail or treatment available to me post surgical, though I found one I was interested in that would have taken my tumor to make a cell line and vaccine, but they needed the tumor sent to them immediatly, and I had hastily removed mine. SO the second one was kind of a gift to me, in that it allowed me to have a post surgical treatment plan.

I mention this to you in case something like this might apply to you. I don't kow what's out there these days in terms of trials for resected stage 3 and 4 patients, but you might want to look before you have the tumor out, rather than after.

Having said that, even though I was very happy with the very expensive and individualized trial I was on, I don't credit it for keeping me NED this long (I likely have a recurrence now) I credit my SURGEON for the fine job she did in removing both of those sub Qs.

I have known several others on this board who had individual subQs removed and gone many years before having progressions. I'm one of them, and I hope you are too.

Whether you are stage 3 or 4 right now, you should easily qualify for SSI Disability.

Good Luck,

dian

dian in spokane
                                  Participant

Hi Denise,

I haven't been reading the boards for a couple of years, so I'm not familiar with you, but I have had subQ's removed, two, from my leg back in 09.

When I discovered the first one, I wanted surgery immediately, then some kind of treatment. I soon found out there was no trail or treatment available to me post surgical, though I found one I was interested in that would have taken my tumor to make a cell line and vaccine, but they needed the tumor sent to them immediatly, and I had hastily removed mine. SO the second one was kind of a gift to me, in that it allowed me to have a post surgical treatment plan.

I mention this to you in case something like this might apply to you. I don't kow what's out there these days in terms of trials for resected stage 3 and 4 patients, but you might want to look before you have the tumor out, rather than after.

Having said that, even though I was very happy with the very expensive and individualized trial I was on, I don't credit it for keeping me NED this long (I likely have a recurrence now) I credit my SURGEON for the fine job she did in removing both of those sub Qs.

I have known several others on this board who had individual subQs removed and gone many years before having progressions. I'm one of them, and I hope you are too.

Whether you are stage 3 or 4 right now, you should easily qualify for SSI Disability.

Good Luck,

dian

dian in spokane
                                    Participant

Hi Denise,

Good Luck,

dian

DeniseK
                                        Participant
                                          Hi Dian,
                                          Thank you so much for the info, I have to admit I’ve been kind of freaking out. I woke up this morning crying and trying to wrap my mind around not being here for my family. I guess its something we all go through. So reading this has lifted my spirits and made me feel hopeful. I know that if its going to come back my arm is the best case scenario. What I don’t understand is, am I now stage 4? I thought your only stage 4 if it comes back in your organs.
                                          so where do you think you’ve recurred again? When they removed your tumors did they do like a wide excision or just took the tumor?
                                          Going to look into trials this weekend, thanks again!!
                                          Denise
                                          DeniseK
                                          Participant
                                            Hi Dian,
                                            Thank you so much for the info, I have to admit I’ve been kind of freaking out. I woke up this morning crying and trying to wrap my mind around not being here for my family. I guess its something we all go through. So reading this has lifted my spirits and made me feel hopeful. I know that if its going to come back my arm is the best case scenario. What I don’t understand is, am I now stage 4? I thought your only stage 4 if it comes back in your organs.
                                            so where do you think you’ve recurred again? When they removed your tumors did they do like a wide excision or just took the tumor?
                                            Denise
                                            DeniseK
                                            Participant
                                              Hi Dian,
                                              Denise
                                              dian in spokane
                                              Participant

well, it's normal to cry and freak out. But it's best to only allow yourself to be in that place for short periods of time. In my opinion, keeping your wits about you and trying not to let fear and emotion overcome reason is vitally important when dealing with melanoma. One is bound to have meltdowns, but, I try to get over mine quickly.

Mine is a long and complicated history with melanoma. I haven't updated my profile for a while, but if you can access it and are interested you could check it out. But..it might not be at all pertinent to your situation.

Part of pushing emotion aside and embracing reason is knowing as much about your own disease as you can. So you should ask your doctor what your stage is.

You can find very precise staging information here: http://www.cancerstaging.org/staging/index.html if you go to staging resources, you'll find a printable poster specifically on melanoma.

But yes, you may be stage IV on a technicality, just like me. I was stage 3 on a technicality for a long time, and I've been stage 4 on a technicality for three years now. Here's the technicality, see if it fits you, but try not to freak out if it does. "distant skin, subcutaneous or nodal metastes' makes you stage IV. Again, I would stress that I am no doctor, and not even the sharpest knife in the drawer, but if your primary was on your chest, and your subcutaneous tumor is classified as a metastes or recurrence, then it is likely considered 'distant'. Like me, your melanoma has skipped your lymph node basins..which likely means it is traveling (like mine) via your circulatory system.

I'm not sure how long you've been on the board since I've been away (maybe over a year though right?) but I'm sure you've read about plenty of stage IV patients who are going strong out there, so don't let that notion of being stage IV make you too nuts.

My cancer is much more slow moving than yours. I guess all of our cancers have their own aspects and properties.

My first melanomas were back in the 1980s. I was stage I for over 20 yrs. I advanced to stage 3B in 2003, though, knowing what I know now.. I think I might have even been stage IV then. I advanced to stage IV via distant subcutaneous tumors in 2008. And this week they've told me I likely have a single nodlue, a small tumor, likely melanoma, in my right lung.

I've been stage IV for 4 yrs and this will be my first organ involvement.

dian

dian in spokane
                                                Participant

well, it's normal to cry and freak out. But it's best to only allow yourself to be in that place for short periods of time. In my opinion, keeping your wits about you and trying not to let fear and emotion overcome reason is vitally important when dealing with melanoma. One is bound to have meltdowns, but, I try to get over mine quickly.

Mine is a long and complicated history with melanoma. I haven't updated my profile for a while, but if you can access it and are interested you could check it out. But..it might not be at all pertinent to your situation.

Part of pushing emotion aside and embracing reason is knowing as much about your own disease as you can. So you should ask your doctor what your stage is.

You can find very precise staging information here: http://www.cancerstaging.org/staging/index.html if you go to staging resources, you'll find a printable poster specifically on melanoma.

But yes, you may be stage IV on a technicality, just like me. I was stage 3 on a technicality for a long time, and I've been stage 4 on a technicality for three years now. Here's the technicality, see if it fits you, but try not to freak out if it does. "distant skin, subcutaneous or nodal metastes' makes you stage IV. Again, I would stress that I am no doctor, and not even the sharpest knife in the drawer, but if your primary was on your chest, and your subcutaneous tumor is classified as a metastes or recurrence, then it is likely considered 'distant'. Like me, your melanoma has skipped your lymph node basins..which likely means it is traveling (like mine) via your circulatory system.

I'm not sure how long you've been on the board since I've been away (maybe over a year though right?) but I'm sure you've read about plenty of stage IV patients who are going strong out there, so don't let that notion of being stage IV make you too nuts.

My cancer is much more slow moving than yours. I guess all of our cancers have their own aspects and properties.

My first melanomas were back in the 1980s. I was stage I for over 20 yrs. I advanced to stage 3B in 2003, though, knowing what I know now.. I think I might have even been stage IV then. I advanced to stage IV via distant subcutaneous tumors in 2008. And this week they've told me I likely have a single nodlue, a small tumor, likely melanoma, in my right lung.

dian

dian in spokane
                                                  Participant

dian

o2bcheri
                                                  Participant

Hi Denise….

i keep posting about this… and no one seems to even want to check it out..

but.. there is a mineral supplement out there called Cellect.. that is working miracles with cancer and other

diseases…

it works really fast… worth checking out…

they re kind and if you cannot afford it.. they will most likely get it to you free of charge..

wonderful people..

if you believe in the body's abilty to heal… give them a call… you want to talk to Fred Eichorn

good luck and hugs

Michele

o2bcheri
                                                    Participant

Hi Denise….

but.. there is a mineral supplement out there called Cellect.. that is working miracles with cancer and other

diseases…

they re kind and if you cannot afford it.. they will most likely get it to you free of charge..

wonderful people..

if you believe in the body's abilty to heal… give them a call… you want to talk to Fred Eichorn

good luck and hugs

Michele

o2bcheri
                                                      Participant

Hi Denise….

diseases…

wonderful people..

good luck and hugs

Michele

DeniseK
                                                          Participant
                                                            Thanks Michele, I will definately look into it!! 🙂
                                                            DeniseK
                                                            Participant
                                                              DeniseK
                                                              Participant
                                                                MichaelFL
                                                                Participant

The reason no-one checks it out is because it is total hogwash!

From Memorial Sloan-Kettering:

Clinical Summary

Cellect has not been studied in clinical trials and there is no evidence that it can be used to prevent or treat any diseases in humans. We do not support using this product as a cancer treatment.

Cellect is a line of dietary supplements that include gelatin, cod liver oil, and different blends that consist of vitamin e minerals, shark cartilage and milk thistle. It is marketed as a vitamin program purported to maintain the body's normal functions, to help boost the immune system, and to treat cancer by alleviating the body's chemical imbalances. Although shark cartilage was examined for its antitumor and antiangiogenic activities in vitro and in animal models, clinical trials show that it is not effective in humans.

MichaelFL
                                                                  Participant

Clinical Summary

Cellect has not been studied in clinical trials and there is no evidence that it can be used to prevent or treat any diseases in humans. We do not support using this product as a cancer treatment.

Cellect is a line of dietary supplements that include gelatin, cod liver oil, and different blends that consist of vitamin e minerals, shark cartilage and milk thistle. It is marketed as a vitamin program purported to maintain the body's normal functions, to help boost the immune system, and to treat cancer by alleviating the body's chemical imbalances. Although shark cartilage was examined for its antitumor and antiangiogenic activities in vitro and in animal models, clinical trials show that it is not effective in humans.

MichaelFL
                                                                    Participant

Clinical Summary

Gene_S
                                                                    Participant

Hello Denise,

You can file the SS forms online but even with disability you will not be able to get the medicaid for 2 years afterward unless you will be 62.  We spoke with a lawyer and he said to gtry to file ourselves and then if we wanted he would help us and would take a percentage of the back pay if we had any coming.  We did it ourselves online.  My husband has been on disability and received it 6 months after filing but he is not old enoughtto get the medicaid so is forced to wait the 2 years.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

Gene_S
                                                                      Participant

Hello Denise,

You can file the SS forms online but even with disability you will not be able to get the medicaid for 2 years afterward unless you will be 62.  We spoke with a lawyer and he said to gtry to file ourselves and then if we wanted he would help us and would take a percentage of the back pay if we had any coming.  We did it ourselves online.  My husband has been on disability and received it 6 months after filing but he is not old enoughtto get the medicaid so is forced to wait the 2 years.

Gene_S
                                                                        Participant

Hello Denise,

dian in spokane
                                                                            Participant

hmm.. Judy.. are you sure you are not talking about medicare rather than medicaid? SSI disability has a 3 yr wait for medicare.

dian in spokane
                                                                              Participant

hmm.. Judy.. are you sure you are not talking about medicare rather than medicaid? SSI disability has a 3 yr wait for medicare.

dian in spokane
                                                                                Participant

DeniseK
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    Hi Judy,
                                                                                    I could have sworn my doctor said I would get medicaid. I’ll have to look into it. Thanks for the info!!
                                                                                    Denise
                                                                                    DeniseK
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      Hi Judy,
                                                                                      I could have sworn my doctor said I would get medicaid. I’ll have to look into it. Thanks for the info!!
                                                                                      Denise
                                                                                      DeniseK
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        Hi Judy,
                                                                                        Denise
                                                                                      JerryfromFauq
                                                                                      Participant

I have known people that died while trying to save up money to go to miracle Cures, especially in Mexico. If some one had a totally miracle cure for all cancers, cancer would be thing of the past. Cancer is not just one thing to be cured by any one treatment. Melanoma is not even just one cancer, but actually over a hundred different things going by the signaling paths, mutations and treatments that might effect an individuals cancer. Even my c-kit mucosal melanoma is several types of cancer, not just one.

Read the following two articles:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3031081/

http://books.google.com/books?id=CN9sYPJdXs4C&pg=PA436&lpg=PA436&dq=PIK3CA+%2Bmucousal+melanoma&source=bl&ots=hScJmFJgtI&sig=htetOB7otk1PqYPHCrg-DSokX1I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jH-VUMebDsLLyQGb_4Fo&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=PIK3CA%20%2Bmucousal%20melanoma&f=false

As far as diet changes, my Surgical Oncologist refereed me to read the books written by Dr Andrew Weil – founder, professor, and director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona. l. His website is: http://www.drweil.com/ I have read several of his books. I have not bought any of the products that he sells.

Some universities have made small studies and found some benefit in things like Broccoli, asparagus, and Cucurmin (MDA – http://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/news-releases/2005/07-11-05-potent-spice-works-to-block-growth-of-melanoma-in-lab-test-news-release.html

There have been several recent studies that indicate that an adult strength aspirin a day helps cut the inflammation that cancer uses to aid its growth. There have also been some small studies that indicate that low level doxycyline helps to create conditions for cell apoptosis. 

If not on a Chemo (like Gleevec) that would require reduced anti-oxidents, I recommend high leveels of anti-oxident intake. 

NYKaren
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            Denise,
                                                                                            It is definitely Medicare you get after 2 years on Social Security Disability. My husband is on it. People, even doctors, often mistake Medicare & Medicaid.
                                                                                            Medicaid us strictly income-based.
                                                                                            Hope this helps,
                                                                                            Karen
                                                                                            NYKaren
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Denise,
                                                                                              It is definitely Medicare you get after 2 years on Social Security Disability. My husband is on it. People, even doctors, often mistake Medicare & Medicaid.
                                                                                              Hope this helps,
                                                                                              Karen
                                                                                              NYKaren
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                Denise,
                                                                                                Hope this helps,
                                                                                                Karen
                                                                                              JerryfromFauq
                                                                                              Participant

I have known people that died while trying to save up money to go to miracle Cures, especially in Mexico. If some one had a totally miracle cure for all cancers, cancer would be thing of the past. Cancer is not just one thing to be cured by any one treatment. Melanoma is not even just one cancer, but actually over a hundred different things going by the signaling paths, mutations and treatments that might effect an individuals cancer. Even my c-kit mucosal melanoma is several types of cancer, not just one.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CN9sYPJdXs4C&pg=PA436&lpg=PA436&dq=PIK3CA+%2Bmucousal+melanoma&source=bl&ots=hScJmFJgtI&sig=htetOB7otk1PqYPHCrg-DSokX1I&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jH-VUMebDsLLyQGb_4Fo&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=PIK3CA%20%2Bmucousal%20melanoma&f=false

As far as diet changes, my Surgical Oncologist refereed me to read the books written by Dr Andrew Weil – founder, professor, and director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona. l. His website is: http://www.drweil.com/ I have read several of his books. I have not bought any of the products that he sells.

Some universities have made small studies and found some benefit in things like Broccoli, asparagus, and Cucurmin (MDA – http://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/news-releases/2005/07-11-05-potent-spice-works-to-block-growth-of-melanoma-in-lab-test-news-release.html

There have been several recent studies that indicate that an adult strength aspirin a day helps cut the inflammation that cancer uses to aid its growth. There have also been some small studies that indicate that low level doxycyline helps to create conditions for cell apoptosis. 

If not on a Chemo (like Gleevec) that would require reduced anti-oxidents, I recommend high leveels of anti-oxident intake. 

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                Participant

Swanee
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Denise,

I got a little off track and replied  to your 10/19 post!  I think I looked at this post and then reread your last post and then replied…..Oops!   Please check that post!    Please email me if you think of  anything  might be able to help you with!  I'm thinking of you and wishing you good thoughts, wisdom and the right doctors that  lead you to a cure!

Take care, 

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Denise,

I got a little off track and replied  to your 10/19 post!  I think I looked at this post and then reread your last post and then replied…..Oops!   Please check that post!    Please email me if you think of  anything  might be able to help you with!  I'm thinking of you and wishing you good thoughts, wisdom and the right doctors that  lead you to a cure!

Take care, 

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi Denise,

Take care, 

Swanee

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics