The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biopsy Questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Biopsy Questions

Participant

Is it standard for the dermatologist to perform the biopsy or should it be a surgeon? It seems I have read both here and I’m wondering what the difference is? I’m scheduled for a biopsy on November 15th with the dermatologist. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

A dermatologist almost always does biopsies.  If the lesion were to be melanoma, either a derm or a surgeon would do the WLE – wide local excision – where they take extra margins.  Often who does the WLE depends on the depth (if a lymph node test is needed) and the comfort of the derm.

Rami
            Participant

Thank you! Is it standard to have to wait several weeks just for the biopsy? I’m so anxious and worried at this point, I’ve read where some have a biopsy the same day as the exam? 

Janner
              Participant

It totally depends on the practice.  Some derms do them immediately, some schedule a later time.  Often it depends on the biopsy type.  Shave biopsies are often done immediately, but shaves aren't the best when it comes to melanoma because staging information can be lost.  My derm mostly does surgeries and only sees a few patients.  So he typically schedules biopsies for a different day so he can see more patients on his clinic days.  Again, just depends on the practice.  As for worry, why worry?  There is absolutely nothing to worry about now.  You can worry later if you happen to have melanoma.  Most biopsies are NOT melanoma!  But worrying now when you have no diagnosis is just a waste of energy that I'm sure could be better used.  Worry about what you can control, not what you can't!

Rami
                Participant

Thanks for the information and the positive attitude. My husband has told me the same thing about my worry, it won’t change a thing so it’s just a waste of energy. I wish my brain would listen. I’m highly anxious anyway and this is so out of my control, my anxiety is in overdrive…..

MelanomaMike
                Participant
                  Yep! Like they said, both Derm & surgeon can do it, my Dermo did all my biopsys that either where exposed “out the skin” or felt just “under the skin”, now my Surgeon Oncologist did the deep rooted ones found only by Scans and eventually performed the actual extraction…good luck on that, like us all, we need it…
              Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics