The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Biopsy

Participant
      How frequent is it to have moles biopsied after the first primary melanoma? And if multiple biopsies do they ever come back normal? For some reason my biopsy wasn’t logged into the system so I am having to wait still on my biopsy. Will end up being double the wait they said.

The doctor said he wouldn’t have ever chosen that mole to biopsy except it showed up new. I am driving myself crazy! It was just a dot. And my original Stage 1A was on my leg, this is on my back. What does that mean? Or does it mean anything? I never know what to ask in these appointments and I get too deer in the headlights. It just makes me go tilt emotionally and all sense abandons me. Not proud of that!!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        QuietPoet
        Participant
          Hi Chelem2:

I know this can be very anxiety producing, but there’s no way to know what anything “means” until you receive your report. Did you ask your doctor’s office when you can realistically expect it at this point? Statisticaly speaking, it’s unlikely to be anything to worry about. I’ve had four moles (some of them very worrysome looking) biopsied since my 1A three years ago, and nothing has even come back worse than a dysplastic nevi. You will be okay. Just try to breathe. And let us know what happens when you get your results. Take care.

kwb
          Participant
            Chelem2 – I agree with quietpoet, ask your doctor’s office when to expect the biopsy results. Having other moles or suspicious spots biopsied – after a primary melanoma – shows proper vigilance on your doctor’s part. At the same time, try not to worry yourself, too much. I know it’s easier said than done. I wish I could give you better advice on how not to worry. Finally, regarding your appointments, take some time beforehand to write down – or put in your phone – specific questions/concerns you have. (Even if they’re general treatment questions.) I’ve been making notes beforehand for several years, now, and it definitely helps. Best of luck. Please let us know how the biopsy turns out.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics