The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bio Chemo for Stag IV

Forums General Melanoma Community Bio Chemo for Stag IV

Participant

What does everyone think of bio chemo for a stage IV patient that is sort of recovering from other treatments??  IPI and Temodar. 

What does everyone think of bio chemo for a stage IV patient that is sort of recovering from other treatments??  IPI and Temodar. 

We are going to MD Anderson, meeting with Dr. Patel.   I expect this the bio chemo option to be presented to us.  I'd like to have more information, so that we can have better questions. It seems like a great thing to try at stage III or if you were in fairly good shape, but I question it when you struggling already.   I wonder if having a few weeks break could benefit the body and give IPI a chance to do it' s thing.

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm sort of frazzled at this time.  I'll relax in a week or two and try to help others instead of being such a posting hog.

Lisa

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Theresa123
        Participant

Bio was very, very hard.  I would look at other therapies first.  Bio is so toxic.  I could only do it 3 times.  It didn't work, and I was in ICU hallucinating.  I hate to be a naysayer, it might be a magic bullet for you, it sure wasn't for me.'Good Luck.

Theresa123
          Participant

Bio was very, very hard.  I would look at other therapies first.  Bio is so toxic.  I could only do it 3 times.  It didn't work, and I was in ICU hallucinating.  I hate to be a naysayer, it might be a magic bullet for you, it sure wasn't for me.'Good Luck.

Theresa123
            Participant

melissa ann
              Participant

Lisa, ask away, I do not believe anyone thinks you are hogging anything.  Dr. Hwu at MDA is talking about Biochemo for Peck.  Actually it is a bichemo/ipi trial that is not yet open to those who have had IPI but may soon be. We have discussed the biochemo treatment option with Dr. Amin in Charlotte and he is not thrilled with the idea.   We have heard from others that it is tough.  It is a hard call because it has helped some people.  We have not yet done Biochemo because we were afraid of the effect that it would have on Peck's immune system which has done a pretty good job fighting his melanoma for 10 years.  However, it is still there and continues to keep us on our toes.  Take a deep breath…I find myself doing that a lot lately…Melissa

melissa ann
                Participant

Lisa, ask away, I do not believe anyone thinks you are hogging anything.  Dr. Hwu at MDA is talking about Biochemo for Peck.  Actually it is a bichemo/ipi trial that is not yet open to those who have had IPI but may soon be. We have discussed the biochemo treatment option with Dr. Amin in Charlotte and he is not thrilled with the idea.   We have heard from others that it is tough.  It is a hard call because it has helped some people.  We have not yet done Biochemo because we were afraid of the effect that it would have on Peck's immune system which has done a pretty good job fighting his melanoma for 10 years.  However, it is still there and continues to keep us on our toes.  Take a deep breath…I find myself doing that a lot lately…Melissa

melissa ann
                  Participant

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      I did biochemo at MDA. I believe it slowed things down but definitely left a damaged immune system in its wake and i progressed anyway. If you’re not in tip top shape physically, I don’t believe it will be presented to you. I had to do pulmonary and heart function tests, including running for l5 minutes.
                      awillett1991
                      Participant
                        I did biochemo at MDA. I believe it slowed things down but definitely left a damaged immune system in its wake and i progressed anyway. If you’re not in tip top shape physically, I don’t believe it will be presented to you. I had to do pulmonary and heart function tests, including running for l5 minutes.
                        awillett1991
                        Participant
                          thrashter
                          Participant

i'm stage iv and have completed 3 rounds of bio going for 4th round on the 14th of this month. It shrunk one tumor the other 3 did not grow. it has been tough and i have thought about stopping but anything that seems to even slow mel down is a positive. I am at Kaiser and dr. gailani seems to do this on stage iv patients. good luck with wichever way you decide to go

Cooper
                              Participant

Bio Chemo is terribly toxic, nearly killed me. And I recurred with it.  Docs at other places don't give it anymore, and these are good places like Moffitt and Sloan Kettering.  How about PD1 trial?

Cooper
                                Participant

Bio Chemo is terribly toxic, nearly killed me. And I recurred with it.  Docs at other places don't give it anymore, and these are good places like Moffitt and Sloan Kettering.  How about PD1 trial?

Cooper
                                  Participant

thrashter
                                  Participant

i'm stage iv and have completed 3 rounds of bio going for 4th round on the 14th of this month. It shrunk one tumor the other 3 did not grow. it has been tough and i have thought about stopping but anything that seems to even slow mel down is a positive. I am at Kaiser and dr. gailani seems to do this on stage iv patients. good luck with wichever way you decide to go

thrashter
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics