The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Bilateral groin lymph node pain and swelling?

Forums General Melanoma Community Bilateral groin lymph node pain and swelling?

Participant

Hi everyone, 

I am currently stage 3a, still awaiting a left complete groin lymph dissection scheduled for next week at MDA. Since my initial surgery 12/13/16 for the WLE and SNB I have had intermittent burning in both left and right groin areas. The surgical oncologist (not at MDA)  didn’t address my concerns at all, I have also been having low grade fevers. With time the pain and swelling is getting worse. The last few nights I haven't been able to sleep due to the pain. I can feel two swollen nodes maybe the size of a walnut, in each groin. The odd thing is that the swelling is not isolated to the left groin, the side of the positive SN, but rather on both sides. Has anyone else had these symptoms or could offer remedies to reduce the pain, or reduce my anxiety. A hot bath appears to help some. 

Thank you, Shawna 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jules
        Participant

Hi Shawna,

Just wanted to share with you that last year I had terrible pain and a lump right near my pelvic bone. I thought it was a hernia and didn't even think of it being a node. Long story short I went to the ER and had a Ct scan and they sent me home because everything was clear- made me think because of the location it was a  ruptured cyst. A few days later the pain and swelling was s worse so I went to my OB and he touched the area and knew immediately that it was a lymph node and said it was infected because it was hot to the touch. Wrote me antibiotics and had me do a very  thorough ultrasound to confirm and make sure nothing else was going on. After the antibiotics the pain subsided but because of how close it is to my ovary and how swollen it got its considered chronic and comes and goes. It has never gotten as big as it did with the infection but I can still feel it over a year later. Not sure if this is applicable to your situation but I thought I would share. I am here as a care giver I do not have melanoma myself. 

Wishing you all the best 

Jules
          Participant

Hi Shawna,

Just wanted to share with you that last year I had terrible pain and a lump right near my pelvic bone. I thought it was a hernia and didn't even think of it being a node. Long story short I went to the ER and had a Ct scan and they sent me home because everything was clear- made me think because of the location it was a  ruptured cyst. A few days later the pain and swelling was s worse so I went to my OB and he touched the area and knew immediately that it was a lymph node and said it was infected because it was hot to the touch. Wrote me antibiotics and had me do a very  thorough ultrasound to confirm and make sure nothing else was going on. After the antibiotics the pain subsided but because of how close it is to my ovary and how swollen it got its considered chronic and comes and goes. It has never gotten as big as it did with the infection but I can still feel it over a year later. Not sure if this is applicable to your situation but I thought I would share. I am here as a care giver I do not have melanoma myself. 

Wishing you all the best 

Jules
            Participant

Hi Shawna,

Wishing you all the best 

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics