The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Beta blockers as adjuvant treatment?

Forums General Melanoma Community Beta blockers as adjuvant treatment?

• Replies
      Cooper
      Participant

actually the doctors I've checked with say it hasn't been well proven yet. 

bradcope1
          Participant

I'm sure most docs will say it isn't well proven, but it seems that the downside is very low. The upside is off the charts, expecially compared to a year of Interferon torture. I suspect that the biggest problem for this potential therapy will be finding Pharma companies willing to finance studies on drugs that they can't patent. Sad but true.

bradcope1
            Participant

another POV on BBs

I keep thinking to myself, wouldn't it be wonderful if there was something simple and non-toxic that did put an end to melanoma in one's body?  Scientists in the past have always thought overkill with cancer, blasting the good parts of the body with the tumors. It has never seemed logical to me.  I hope this will be studied further.  Dr. Flaherty finds it interesting which means it has potential once it has been tested a little bit further.

Catherine M. Poole, President/Founder

Melanoma International Foundation

bradcope1
              Participant

another POV on BBs

I keep thinking to myself, wouldn't it be wonderful if there was something simple and non-toxic that did put an end to melanoma in one's body?  Scientists in the past have always thought overkill with cancer, blasting the good parts of the body with the tumors. It has never seemed logical to me.  I hope this will be studied further.  Dr. Flaherty finds it interesting which means it has potential once it has been tested a little bit further.

bradcope1
                Participant

another POV on BBs

bradcope1
                  Participant

I'm sure most docs will say it isn't well proven, but it seems that the downside is very low. The upside is off the charts, expecially compared to a year of Interferon torture. I suspect that the biggest problem for this potential therapy will be finding Pharma companies willing to finance studies on drugs that they can't patent. Sad but true.

bradcope1
                    Participant

Cooper
                    Participant

Cooper
                      Participant

Cynthia C
                        Participant

This is just my experience and could be completely coincidental. I started taking Atenolol, a beta blocker, for hypertension sometime around 1998. I was diagnosed with melanoma 12/2000 with WLE and LND 3/2001 ending up stage 3 (T3bN2M0). I only tolerated 8 or 9 doses of high dose interferon. I have had no other treatment and no recurrences. I have taken that Atenolol every day from 1998 to the present. Anyway it will be interesting to see if beta blockers do prove to have an affect on melanoma. My prescription only costs $10.00 for 3 months cash price!

I wish everyone happiness and good health,

Cynthia C from Colorado

Cynthia C
                            Participant

Whoops, I meant effect!

Cynthia C
                              Participant

Whoops, I meant effect!

Cynthia C
                                Participant

Whoops, I meant effect!

Cynthia C
                                Participant

This is just my experience and could be completely coincidental. I started taking Atenolol, a beta blocker, for hypertension sometime around 1998. I was diagnosed with melanoma 12/2000 with WLE and LND 3/2001 ending up stage 3 (T3bN2M0). I only tolerated 8 or 9 doses of high dose interferon. I have had no other treatment and no recurrences. I have taken that Atenolol every day from 1998 to the present. Anyway it will be interesting to see if beta blockers do prove to have an affect on melanoma. My prescription only costs $10.00 for 3 months cash price!

Cynthia C from Colorado

Cynthia C
                                  Participant

Cynthia C from Colorado

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics