The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

bad scan and thank you everyone

Forums General Melanoma Community bad scan and thank you everyone

Participant

I really want to thank everyone for their letters.  I read them to my mom and she felt better and encouraged.  This has been such a helpfull tool.  We felt that we had been beat, but not now!!!!  The body scans were so bad that they took mom off chemo.  We are looking at the ipi trials now.  This will be her third trial and we will keep going.  I will more than likely be going in for a back surgery myself ( fell and broke both my rods).  I am scared but you guys are my heros and so is my mom.  Keep the faith.

Tracey

I really want to thank everyone for their letters.  I read them to my mom and she felt better and encouraged.  This has been such a helpfull tool.  We felt that we had been beat, but not now!!!!  The body scans were so bad that they took mom off chemo.  We are looking at the ipi trials now.  This will be her third trial and we will keep going.  I will more than likely be going in for a back surgery myself ( fell and broke both my rods).  I am scared but you guys are my heros and so is my mom.  Keep the faith.

Tracey

mom stage 1V with brain mets, lung, body.

P.S  Mom looks great in her wig, younger.  She sleeps in the terry turban at night very soft and keeps her head warm.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        JakeinNY
        Participant

Keep going. Don't give up, ever!

I pray that one of these trials will work for your mom.

JakeinNY
          Participant

Keep going. Don't give up, ever!

I pray that one of these trials will work for your mom.

Fen
            Participant

Oh Tracey, I'm so sorry to hear that.  Do the only thing you can – fight like the dickens!  Keeping your mom and you in my prayers.

Fen

Fen
              Participant

Oh Tracey, I'm so sorry to hear that.  Do the only thing you can – fight like the dickens!  Keeping your mom and you in my prayers.

Fen

Sharyn
                Participant

Hi Tracey,

Sorry to hear about your Mom's recent bad scan. I just wanted to share with you my experience, as I think it's quite similar to your Mom's.  I have brain and lung mets, and a few sub-qs. I did WBR in Oct 2009, helped marginally, followed by chemo (Temodar), which did absolutely nothing. As in your Mom's case, my Dr took me off the chemo. A couple more new mets showed up in the brain in April, so I went to Montreal for Gammaknife radiation surgery. That helped a bit to stablize them enough to allow me eligibility for the ipi trial. Meanwhile, I had learned that I was BRAF and C-KIT negative, but NRAS positive — no treatment for that yet, but I could be wrong.  Anyway, I started the compasionate use trial for ipi, and although some people experience side effects, I have sailed through so far without a hitch. No side effects, and visible shrinkage in my sub-q tumors. I'm still waiting on the results of my Dec scan to see what's going on in the lung and brain, but given the results I'm seeing with the sub-qs, I'm hoping for a good report.  I was diagnosed in March 2006, and I've done several trials and treatments with no luck, but ipi is the first time I could really see a difference. Tell your Mom her energy (and her hair) will come back, and she will soon start to feel a lot better. I hope she does try ipi and that it works for her as well as it has with me. Best of luck to her — and you!

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Sharyn
                    Participant

Oops! Almost forgot! The terry turban is cozy, but it sometimes comes off from the friction against the pillow case. Pick up a satin pillow case, and she'll see quite a difference. I had a nice wig too, but I only wore it from Nov-June. After that it got too hot in the summer, and I had enough regrowth to sport a short cut. The centre of the top of the head and the bangs are difficult to fill in well, but after a year, it was filled in.

Hugs

Sharyn 

Sharyn
                      Participant

Oops! Almost forgot! The terry turban is cozy, but it sometimes comes off from the friction against the pillow case. Pick up a satin pillow case, and she'll see quite a difference. I had a nice wig too, but I only wore it from Nov-June. After that it got too hot in the summer, and I had enough regrowth to sport a short cut. The centre of the top of the head and the bangs are difficult to fill in well, but after a year, it was filled in.

Hugs

Sharyn 

Tracey FL
                        Participant

Sharyn, I really would like to keep intouch with you.  Your response really helped mom.  I just got back from the surgeon and he wants to do the wait and see approach to see if I will need surgery.  I am not in to much pain now and  he said maybe I can live with the broken rods in my back, a month would tell.  I am glad because this would be a bad time for major back surgery.  Sounds like you and mom have a lot of the same things going on.  She has an apt on the 27th for the ipi consult.  I really want to know what the ipi involves how long, how often and what is it (shots,drip).

She has 10 more days of WBR.    What state do you  live in?  We are in FL.

Tracey

Tracey FL
                          Participant

Sharyn, I really would like to keep intouch with you.  Your response really helped mom.  I just got back from the surgeon and he wants to do the wait and see approach to see if I will need surgery.  I am not in to much pain now and  he said maybe I can live with the broken rods in my back, a month would tell.  I am glad because this would be a bad time for major back surgery.  Sounds like you and mom have a lot of the same things going on.  She has an apt on the 27th for the ipi consult.  I really want to know what the ipi involves how long, how often and what is it (shots,drip).

She has 10 more days of WBR.    What state do you  live in?  We are in FL.

Tracey

Sharyn
                          Participant

Hi Tracey,

Sorry to hear about your Mom's recent bad scan. I just wanted to share with you my experience, as I think it's quite similar to your Mom's.  I have brain and lung mets, and a few sub-qs. I did WBR in Oct 2009, helped marginally, followed by chemo (Temodar), which did absolutely nothing. As in your Mom's case, my Dr took me off the chemo. A couple more new mets showed up in the brain in April, so I went to Montreal for Gammaknife radiation surgery. That helped a bit to stablize them enough to allow me eligibility for the ipi trial. Meanwhile, I had learned that I was BRAF and C-KIT negative, but NRAS positive — no treatment for that yet, but I could be wrong.  Anyway, I started the compasionate use trial for ipi, and although some people experience side effects, I have sailed through so far without a hitch. No side effects, and visible shrinkage in my sub-q tumors. I'm still waiting on the results of my Dec scan to see what's going on in the lung and brain, but given the results I'm seeing with the sub-qs, I'm hoping for a good report.  I was diagnosed in March 2006, and I've done several trials and treatments with no luck, but ipi is the first time I could really see a difference. Tell your Mom her energy (and her hair) will come back, and she will soon start to feel a lot better. I hope she does try ipi and that it works for her as well as it has with me. Best of luck to her — and you!

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

JuleFL
                            Participant
                              Best wishes for you and your Mom, Tracey. I hope Ipi can help. Sending prayers your way.
                              Jule
                              JuleFL
                              Participant
                                Best wishes for you and your Mom, Tracey. I hope Ipi can help. Sending prayers your way.
                                Jule
                                lhaley
                                Participant

Tracey,

I'm sorry to hear that your having back issues at the same time as being a caretaker for your mom. What an overload!!  I hope your surgery is a success and you have a fairly quick recovery time. Sending prayers for your mom that she gets into the ippi compassionate care trial quickly and sees good results.

Best wishes,

Linda

lhaley
                                  Participant

Tracey,

I'm sorry to hear that your having back issues at the same time as being a caretaker for your mom. What an overload!!  I hope your surgery is a success and you have a fairly quick recovery time. Sending prayers for your mom that she gets into the ippi compassionate care trial quickly and sees good results.

Best wishes,

Linda

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics