The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

bad mixed results after 4 months on zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community bad mixed results after 4 months on zelboraf

Participant

Just came from doctor with scan results from 4 months on zelboraf.  Liver tumor continues to decrease, lungs have stayed same.  But intestines now have two big tumors wrapping around them growing quickly. πŸ™   I go tonite for MRI and thurs for PET scan.  Plan as of now is surgery asap to remove two intestinal tumors, meanwhile staying on zelboraf until surgery (dr is checking on whether to stay on or not) and then figure out what plan I go with from there.  I am going to be hopeful/optimistic as I sailed thru the last intestinal surgery and was out of

Just came from doctor with scan results from 4 months on zelboraf.  Liver tumor continues to decrease, lungs have stayed same.  But intestines now have two big tumors wrapping around them growing quickly. πŸ™   I go tonite for MRI and thurs for PET scan.  Plan as of now is surgery asap to remove two intestinal tumors, meanwhile staying on zelboraf until surgery (dr is checking on whether to stay on or not) and then figure out what plan I go with from there.  I am going to be hopeful/optimistic as I sailed thru the last intestinal surgery and was out of hospital in 4 days and walking around fine.  Doctor said sometimes each area of the body reacts differently to the drugs, and he is hoping that the stomach/intestine is only area that didnt react to Zelboraf. But guessing he is also thinking if I am strong enough after surgery we go to ippi or interleukin?    I am guessing plans might change depending on mri and pet results

wish me luck – keeping strong thoughts and staying strong not going to let this knock me down.

laurie from maine. 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        boot2aboot
        Participant

Lauri,

i did not think that was possible! to have some tumors respond while one grows new ones…i am sorry to hear this…especially since all of us on zelboraf are kicked out of braf-mek trials…

boots

boot2aboot
          Participant

Lauri,

i did not think that was possible! to have some tumors respond while one grows new ones…i am sorry to hear this…especially since all of us on zelboraf are kicked out of braf-mek trials…

boots

boot2aboot
            Participant

Lauri,

boots

jmmm
              Participant
                My husband just had surgery while on Zelboraf. He had strict orders from his doctor to stop the Zelboraf a full 5 days before surgery and not start for 5 days after. Since it’s such a new drug, they’re not too sure on drug interactions and wanted to play it safe.
                jmmm
                Participant
                  My husband just had surgery while on Zelboraf. He had strict orders from his doctor to stop the Zelboraf a full 5 days before surgery and not start for 5 days after. Since it’s such a new drug, they’re not too sure on drug interactions and wanted to play it safe.
                  jmmm
                  Participant
                    hope4cure1
                    Participant

Hi Laurie.  I will certainly keep up the good thoughts for you.  You definitely have the right attitude, and that is the strongest medicine in the world!

Hope

boot2aboot
                        Participant

oh Laurie,

i forgot to mention surgeries while on zelboraf…i was told to stop 2 days prior and 3 days after my kidney stent removal…

boots

i can't get over the idea that your melanoma mutated in some areas while in other areas did not…i just thought it would be across the board…

we are bounced out of braf-mek trials…i am looking at several anti-pd1 trials

boots

Laurie from maine
                          Participant

hi,

thank you for your responses.  Yes the doctor said it was very unusual to have a mixed response and was going to talk to other doctors to see what their thoughts were on whether I stayed on zelboraf or not.  Thank you good to know that you stopped zelboraf several days before surgery, my doctor thought so also.  I think the key is going to be MRI and PET results to make sure/hope that there isnt growth anywhere else.

thank you all for your help and thoughts

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                            Participant

hi,

thank you for your responses.  Yes the doctor said it was very unusual to have a mixed response and was going to talk to other doctors to see what their thoughts were on whether I stayed on zelboraf or not.  Thank you good to know that you stopped zelboraf several days before surgery, my doctor thought so also.  I think the key is going to be MRI and PET results to make sure/hope that there isnt growth anywhere else.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                              Participant

hi,

laurie from maine

deardad
                                Participant

Hi Laurie,

Sorry to hear that you've had a mixed result and I hope your next results are good news. It's so weird that some can go on this drug for over a years and others only months. I'd have plan B ready go just in case, I am also looking into antipd trials in Australia for my dad when Zelboraf stops working.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                  Participant

Hi Laurie,

Sorry to hear that you've had a mixed result and I hope your next results are good news. It's so weird that some can go on this drug for over a years and others only months. I'd have plan B ready go just in case, I am also looking into antipd trials in Australia for my dad when Zelboraf stops working.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                    Participant

Hi Laurie,

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

boot2aboot
                                      Participant

oh Laurie,

i forgot to mention surgeries while on zelboraf…i was told to stop 2 days prior and 3 days after my kidney stent removal…

boots

i can't get over the idea that your melanoma mutated in some areas while in other areas did not…i just thought it would be across the board…

boots

boot2aboot
                                        Participant

oh Laurie,

boots

boots

hope4cure1
                                        Participant

Hi Laurie.  I will certainly keep up the good thoughts for you.  You definitely have the right attitude, and that is the strongest medicine in the world!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                          Participant

Hope

Charlie S
                                            Participant

Actually, because Zelboraf is a inhibitor/pathway drug, odd as it sounds, I would consider this good news and not bad news considering what the drug is designed to do.

Why?  Liver mets are decreasing, lungs staying the same but something new in the intestine.  So to me, that means Zelboraf has shut down or is shutting down or holding two pathways, but that sneaky melanoma found a work around via a new pathway to the intestines…………..so Zel is two for three.

That ain't bad.

Just an opinion and I do wish you luck.

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                              Participant

Actually, because Zelboraf is a inhibitor/pathway drug, odd as it sounds, I would consider this good news and not bad news considering what the drug is designed to do.

Why?  Liver mets are decreasing, lungs staying the same but something new in the intestine.  So to me, that means Zelboraf has shut down or is shutting down or holding two pathways, but that sneaky melanoma found a work around via a new pathway to the intestines…………..so Zel is two for three.

That ain't bad.

Charlie S

Laurie from maine
                                                  Participant

Hi Charlie,

thank you for your optimistic thoughts.  I think my doctor is asking others what they think about whether I should stay on zelboraf or not after surgery.  Holding breath right now that brain MRI and PET scan do not show anything else. 

thank you

laurie from maine πŸ™‚

Laurie from maine
                                                    Participant

Hi Charlie,

thank you for your optimistic thoughts.  I think my doctor is asking others what they think about whether I should stay on zelboraf or not after surgery.  Holding breath right now that brain MRI and PET scan do not show anything else. 

thank you

laurie from maine πŸ™‚

Laurie from maine
                                                      Participant

Hi Charlie,

thank you

laurie from maine πŸ™‚

Charlie S
                                                      Participant

That ain't bad.

Charlie S

shellebrownies
                                                        Participant

Laurie,

Wishing you the very best of luck with your scans. Stay strong. You have lots of prayers coming your way!

Michelle

shellebrownies
                                                          Participant

Laurie,

Wishing you the very best of luck with your scans. Stay strong. You have lots of prayers coming your way!

Michelle

shellebrownies
                                                            Participant

Laurie,

Michelle

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics