The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

back pain

Forums General Melanoma Community back pain

Participant

Good Morning,

Has anyone experienced incessant back pain as a side effect of Opdivo?  I had back pain prior to my diagnosis but after undergoging Opdivio for over a year now it has greatly increased.  It is difficult to know how much of this is attributed to the drugs vs just normal wear and tear.  I am under 40 and before this have never dealt with back issues.  I have had the joint pain in my knees, wrists and feet but they all ebb and flow.

There has never been any sign of disease in my back so they have ruled out the Melanoma causing any issues.  It has gotten to the point where pain pills barely take the edge off of the pain and I am searching for any answers or understanding of what is happening.  Anyone have similar stories/experiences – if so what did you do to manage it?

Thank you!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jimchief
        Participant

Very coincidental that I saw this today as the first message. I'm getting Opdivo adjuvant treatment #4 of 26 today, and I was telling my oncologist that Treatment #3 gave me pretty severe back pain that lasted a week. I am wondering if it's a coincidence, as I had some off/on back situations (the classic "threw my back out" but always in response to bad behavior on my part like lifting too much or improperly without warming up, etc.), but this last treatment caused my back to slowly "seize up" in the hours after the treatment and it stayed with me for about 6 days. I'll check on responses to this post and let you know if Treatment #4 causes the same problems as Treatment #3 for me. (No back pain after treatments #1 and #2.)

brianm
            Participant

I have backpain and am getting opdivo also.  My back pain is internal and almost like kidney problems but on both sides in the lower back.  Morphine seems to help some, but not all of the way.  

I am not thinking I've been sitting on my butt and my muscles are so weak that it gets that way.  It seems to come on at night after I've been laying down for a while.  But the last two nights it has been absent.  (Since I've started doing simple exercises with arms and going up and down stairs a few times.).  I don't know if this will solve the problem though…

I am also on Opdivo and have back pain but mine is most certainly from my not exercising and my stomach and back muscles weakening.  I'm slowly getting back into exercising and have had an improvement although  it isn't completely resolved.  

Good wishes to you.

Jennifer

Sharon93065
            Participant

I

I also have these symptoms, and like all of you think some of this is due to the fatigue so I've layed around and not exercised.  So i make myself walk further in parking lots etc.  Can't wait until we can turn our solar on in the pool to do water aerobics.  Ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, lower back pain.  I am 71 and older than most of you and do have arthritis, but did not have it this bad.  Taking glucosamine chondroitin, it takes awhile to get into your system.  I took it for year and it helped.  I quit last year when i started the combo treatments and should not have.  Cannot take Tylenol – liver!  Motrin – kidneys.  My meloxicam prescription.  Dr said i could take 1 – 2 pills a day but only for 2 weeks but it can affect my kidneys so i save it for a bad flareup.  Scroll down and you will see others having the same side effects with Opdivo.  It even hurts to sit now so i carry a cushion to some places LOL!  God Bless us all, Sharon

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics