The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Back in ER, hospital

Forums General Melanoma Community Back in ER, hospital

Participant
      Melanoma presents in nasty and unpredictable ways. Yesterday my wife had severe headache and it couldn’t be controlled through pain meds, especially when she became nauseous. When you are multi-symptomatic and have multiple areas of cancer involvement and treatment its really hard to figure out cause and effect. Eventually I got her to ER, where a CT scan revealed overly large ventricles due to excess spinal fluid – water on the brain. After a horrible pain filled evening she’s now resting and the pain is under control through IV drip.

So our Sunday now turns to how to relieve the pressure (lumbar tap?), what is causing it (cancer cells in spinal fluid, one of her new tumors?), and how to address (different chemo, direct chemo to spinal fluid, shunt to drain fluid). Difficult issues the neurosurgeon, neurologist and oncologist will tackle. Its complicated by her low blood counts from chemo.

An ugly turn of events.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

I really feel for the two of you, this really does not want to give her a break.

MichaelFL
          Participant

I really feel for the two of you, this really does not want to give her a break.

Gene_S
              Participant

So sorry to hear.  I hope they can find something to help her quickly.  Plus a treatment that will work to help her overcome this nasty beast.  Prayers being sent your way for the family and her.

Gene_S
                Participant

So sorry to hear.  I hope they can find something to help her quickly.  Plus a treatment that will work to help her overcome this nasty beast.  Prayers being sent your way for the family and her.

Gene_S
                  Participant

MichaelFL
                  Participant

jax2007gxp
                    Participant

So many prayers for her relief and a solution!

jax2007gxp
                      Participant

jax2007gxp
                        Participant

CarolA
                          Participant

Just another post of caring and concern over your wife's situation.    I think someone  has said it best that there just doesn't seem to be a break coming your way.    I offer my prayers for your wife, and for her medical team's guidance to help her, to gain some kind of control ahead of this cruel beast.

Carol A – Stage III

Amherst, NY

NYKaren
                              Participant

Please know that I too am thinking of you both.

karen

NYKaren
                                Participant

karen

NYKaren
                                  Participant

karen

deardad
                                    Participant

Im sorry to hear how much you and your wife are going through.

My thoughts are with you.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                      Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

nickmac56
                                        Participant
                                          Thank you all for your care, concern and support.
                                          nickmac56
                                          Participant
                                            nickmac56
                                            Participant
                                              deardad
                                              Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

CarolA
                                              Participant

Just another post of caring and concern over your wife's situation.    I think someone  has said it best that there just doesn't seem to be a break coming your way.    I offer my prayers for your wife, and for her medical team's guidance to help her, to gain some kind of control ahead of this cruel beast.

Carol A – Stage III

Amherst, NY

CarolA
                                                Participant

Carol A – Stage III

Amherst, NY

jag
                                                  Participant

Nicmac, 

I am sorry that things don't seem to be getting better, but it is good that you have hope.

You both are in my prayers.

John

jag
                                                    Participant

Nicmac, 

I am sorry that things don't seem to be getting better, but it is good that you have hope.

John

jag
                                                      Participant

Nicmac, 

John

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics