The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Back from Scans! EasyBreasy!

Forums General Melanoma Community Back from Scans! EasyBreasy!

Participant
      Wow that was fast! Mri abd ct in the history books, im already home!
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        jbronicki
        Participant
          Better MRI’ing through pharmaceuticals/chemistry! Love it!
          Bubbles
          Participant
            Zactly! Well played and well done!

c

killmel
            Participant
              Congrats Mike making it through your scans! I was reading that since you are in a clinical trial, the Pharma sponsor of clinical trials pick up the cost of scans, getting biopsy done for use in trial, drugs used trial, blood work for trial, etc.

You should be able to SAVE lots of money from your GOFUNDME. If Dr Hamid or his nurse did NOT review the costs that will be picked up by the pharma sponsor of the Clinical Trial, you should ask them. If they have told you what costs are going to be picked, please tell us. This would be helpful information for anyone considering a clinical trial. Hang in there man!!!

Bubbles
                Participant
                  Just an FYI, Killmel. I and 30 other fellow ratties participated in an early BMS Phase 1 trial of Nivolumab (now Opdivo) that began in 2010. BMS did provide the drug and the research labs they wanted. HOWEVER, they did NOT cover REQUIRED doctor visits, labs, scans, time in the infusion room, hospital charges, or supplies. We ratties had to cover all those costs with our own dollars or through our insurance coverage (which of course required the usual copays and deductibles). The trial contract also noted that neither BMS, the provider, nor the institution would be held responsible for any side effects or poor outcomes we might experience. Meaning they would not be considered guilty of inflicting harm, nor would they pay for any care needed to cover the development of those potential side effects. Not all trials run that way, but many do. Sharing because it was a real eye opener for me and my family and I haven’t blinked since!!!! That said, there are various entities and groups who can help cover those kinds of costs as well as transportation for those in need in some cases.

For what it is worth! c

killmel
                  Participant
                    Celeste, thank you for sharing your situation with the clinical trial experience. That’s an eye opener for sure.

I had heard and wondered if true, if a patient doesn’t have insurance or the insurance doesn’t cover out of network, like with Mike’s situation with Kaiser Insurance which will not pay the doctors (Hamid) & services (ie: biopsy scans, blood labs associated with the clinical trial, that the pharma sponsor of the clinical trial will pick up the cost for doctors ( DR Hamid) & services (ie: biopsy scans, blood labs associated with the clinical trial) because Kaiser will not pay for the costs.

That’s why I was interested in knowing if Dr Hamid or the trial nurse said anything to Mike about the pharma sponsor picking up costs because Kaiser is not. It seems to me that since Mike is being the Rattie for the pharma sponsor trial and since Kaiser isn’t picking up Mike’s cost, it’s only fair that the pharma pick up the cost because Mike’s insurance won’t.

Bubbles
                    Participant
                      Yes, when Pharma laments the costs and tribulations they must endure in order to bring a drug to market….you’d think they’d be happy to have ratties and help us in every way. Unfortunately, they often know they can get more desperate ratties where those came from and don’t worry their pretty little heads about it. NOW….with that said….most institutions running the trials have good social service departments and associations that CAN amend/waive charges and gain assistance from drug companies for patients/ratties who are in dire straits and without funding. Plus, there are many outside agencies that can help out with costs as well. Occasionally, trials run differently…those at NIH are often “free”…but many are as I experienced.

On a brighter note, as I understand it, Mike is going to be able to switch to a different insurance situation that Hamid and his institution does accept and Hamid has noted that he is willing to work with Mike. But, Mike would be better able to answer the particulars of all that.

Didn’t mean to barge into all this…but it is a huge pet peeve (really it’s much bigger than a ‘peeve’!!!!!) of mine that ratties are treated in this manner!!! But, I feel I should share it because my experience certainly illuminates the necessity to read the fine print in the 9 zillion papers one signs upon entering a trial. I would make all this roll SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO differently if only I could be queen of the world for one day! HA! – c

MelanomaMike
                      Participant
                        KillMel! Long see no time! How are you? Theres so many of us here so when one disappears or “lays low under the radar” i almost forget about them, i did start a “ledger” when i first started, names, their stages, if their the patient or if their “representing” the patient…Yes, like Most Sponses of a trial, they will pick up the bill on certain procedures throughout the trial, the others will be either free to me, or “hopefilly” billed to my insurance (haha, cant wait to see how that plays out) Bubbles explained it better to you (us) below, i have a chart that explains the process and once again, THANK GOD i chose $5000 on GFM and not just the initial consult money (out of pocket $1,000 with 40% new patient discount thank thank you thank you thank you again guys!! ) cuz over a possible 2 year trial that i may be healthy enough to reach ( little toxicity or stable or no disease progression) it will help big time, just the parking and gas is out of pocket every appt.! (No validation ! 🙁 ….
                      BethL
                      Participant
                        Phew! Glad things are moving along!
                        Sending you all good thoughts-BethL
                    Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics