The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Baby Addison Cox of Phoenix

Forums General Melanoma Community Baby Addison Cox of Phoenix

Participant

Baby Addison Cox of Phoenix passsed away last night of Stage 4 Melanoma.  She was born with Stage 4, passing through the placenta.  Her mother has already passed away, and I read last night that Addison passed away in the arms of her Daddy….she and her mother are together once again…You can goggle it and look up the story…So very sad. I do not know if they were a member of the MPIP family or not.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER AND ALWAYS

Baby Addison Cox of Phoenix passsed away last night of Stage 4 Melanoma.  She was born with Stage 4, passing through the placenta.  Her mother has already passed away, and I read last night that Addison passed away in the arms of her Daddy….she and her mother are together once again…You can goggle it and look up the story…So very sad. I do not know if they were a member of the MPIP family or not.

Take Care,

Viewing 30 reply threads
    • Replies
        casagrayson
        Participant

I've been following this story.  So very, very sad.

casagrayson
          Participant

casagrayson
            Participant

POW
              Participant

Sherron, I wish you had posted this on the "Off Topic" forum rather than on the main MPIP page. Who among us needs more sad news that we can't do anything about? 

I am especially concerned for our members who have or had melanoma and are afraid to get pregnant for fear that the disease might be passed to the fetus. There have been many posts here over the years about the advisability of getting pregnant when one has/had melanoma. It is a very complex issue with many medical, emotional, financial and religious considerations. It is a very personal decision that needs to be discussed between the spouses and their doctor. 

While possible transmission to the fetus is POSSIBLE, it is not likely. Here is a quote from an abcnews.com article in April about this case: "In a rare and unexplained medical mystery, Cox's cancer cells had crossed the placenta to her developing fetus… The phenomenon has only been recorded 'a handful of times' in medical literature, according to Dr. Pooja Hingorani, a pediatric oncologist who treats Addison at Phoenix Children's Hospital." 

By the way, when I Googled Addison Cox I did not see any reports of her death. Perhaps she died; perhaps she didn't (she was doing well in April). Frankly, I didn't want to poke around for information about this child any more than necessary.

POW
                Participant

Sherron, I wish you had posted this on the "Off Topic" forum rather than on the main MPIP page. Who among us needs more sad news that we can't do anything about? 

I am especially concerned for our members who have or had melanoma and are afraid to get pregnant for fear that the disease might be passed to the fetus. There have been many posts here over the years about the advisability of getting pregnant when one has/had melanoma. It is a very complex issue with many medical, emotional, financial and religious considerations. It is a very personal decision that needs to be discussed between the spouses and their doctor. 

While possible transmission to the fetus is POSSIBLE, it is not likely. Here is a quote from an abcnews.com article in April about this case: "In a rare and unexplained medical mystery, Cox's cancer cells had crossed the placenta to her developing fetus… The phenomenon has only been recorded 'a handful of times' in medical literature, according to Dr. Pooja Hingorani, a pediatric oncologist who treats Addison at Phoenix Children's Hospital." 

By the way, when I Googled Addison Cox I did not see any reports of her death. Perhaps she died; perhaps she didn't (she was doing well in April). Frankly, I didn't want to poke around for information about this child any more than necessary.

POW
                  Participant

Sherron
                    Participant

So sorry, did not mean to upset anyone.  I know Melanoma and preganancy is a scary thought.  The mother did have one child, and everything went okay.  Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone.  This came through my facebook that she had passed away.  Please accept my sincere apologies if I offened anyone.

Take Care,

casagrayson
                      Participant

Don't apologize, Sherron.   We all know this disease comes with tragedy.  Just because a family did not avail itself of the resources here does not mean we don't care nor does it mean we shouldn't acknowledge their journey and struggles.  

POW … saying that you don't know if this little angel died was unnecessary.   Sherron said that she did; that should be enough.  

casagrayson
                        Participant

Don't apologize, Sherron.   We all know this disease comes with tragedy.  Just because a family did not avail itself of the resources here does not mean we don't care nor does it mean we shouldn't acknowledge their journey and struggles.  

POW … saying that you don't know if this little angel died was unnecessary.   Sherron said that she did; that should be enough.  

casagrayson
                          Participant

awillett1991
                            Participant
                              This family, their battle, and their work to raise awareness – they are heroes. Thanks for posting Sherron. Glad Asdison has gone someplace better to be with her mama.
                              Phil S
                              Participant
                                Sherron, Thanks for posting on baby, Addison, I had seen the news of her passing on two other melanoma websites I frequent! I hope all who read this news send positive, healing thoughts to her family as they struggle with her loss. I feel you were totally right to post this news here, it’s part of melanoma and for me I say a pray for all the strong warriors who ultimately pass away from this disease and for their caregivers. In my opinion, it’s respectful to their struggle and to their memory to be acknowledged on a Board that shares their journey. I usually love to read comments from POW, but today I feel they were way off the mark. No sense in any of us having our heads in the sand, Melanoma doesn’t fight fair, so as much knowledge as possible is key! I think young parents need to know the risks involved, after all it did happen to Addison’s family. I wish all of us strength as we continue to fight the Beast, and I wish peace for Addison’s family and for all who are suffering with the loss that melanoma creates! God Bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                Phil S
                                Participant
                                  Sherron, Thanks for posting on baby, Addison, I had seen the news of her passing on two other melanoma websites I frequent! I hope all who read this news send positive, healing thoughts to her family as they struggle with her loss. I feel you were totally right to post this news here, it’s part of melanoma and for me I say a pray for all the strong warriors who ultimately pass away from this disease and for their caregivers. In my opinion, it’s respectful to their struggle and to their memory to be acknowledged on a Board that shares their journey. I usually love to read comments from POW, but today I feel they were way off the mark. No sense in any of us having our heads in the sand, Melanoma doesn’t fight fair, so as much knowledge as possible is key! I think young parents need to know the risks involved, after all it did happen to Addison’s family. I wish all of us strength as we continue to fight the Beast, and I wish peace for Addison’s family and for all who are suffering with the loss that melanoma creates! God Bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                  Phil S
                                  Participant
                                    JC
                                    Participant

Another tragic part of this story is one report states, "Addison's mother had a malignant skin melanoma removed in 2006 and was assured by her doctors that the cancer had not spread and all her margins were clear." 

JC
                                      Participant

Another tragic part of this story is one report states, "Addison's mother had a malignant skin melanoma removed in 2006 and was assured by her doctors that the cancer had not spread and all her margins were clear." 

JC
                                        Participant

Swanee
                                          Participant

Thank you Valerie, well said and a thoughtful reply!

Janner
                                            Participant

Having talked many people down from anxiety in the past, I understand where POW is coming from.  The one study I read had less than 10 women over the last 30 years, or so, who had transmitted their melanoma through the placenta.  Not all the children ended up with melanoma or died as I recall. 

I think it's fine to post about Addison, but also good to know that this situation is EXTREMELY rare.  It can happen, but it needs to be kept in perspective.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                              Participant

Having talked many people down from anxiety in the past, I understand where POW is coming from.  The one study I read had less than 10 women over the last 30 years, or so, who had transmitted their melanoma through the placenta.  Not all the children ended up with melanoma or died as I recall. 

I think it's fine to post about Addison, but also good to know that this situation is EXTREMELY rare.  It can happen, but it needs to be kept in perspective.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Lori C
                                                  Participant

Sherron, I appreciate your posting this and it certainly doesn't strike me as "off topic."  It's about a reality of melanoma.  It's not everyone's reality, mercifully, but we need to honor those who struggle in many ways, including with these losses.  I appreciated their family's willingness to share their struggle and believe it will contribute to the information pool and help others.  I am so sorry for the family's multiple losses. 

I know that the presence of some of us who have lost our loved ones to melanoma may be difficult here.  However, melanoma is part of our lives and we still feel a part of these boards.  It's not that we want to "share sad news that no one can do anything about" – not at all.  People who die from melanoma are part of the melanoma community.  They participated in clinical trials, fought hard, and advanced the science (often) to help others.  The fact that they did die from the disease should not be a discouragement to anyone.  Many of them lived far longer than expected.  Some lived incredibly richly despite the disease.  All are inspirations. 

Lori, caregiver to Will.

mel123
                                                    Participant

I think it's nice to share information here that others may want to be aware of. Unfortunately there are many times I come to read these boards and find sad news. If I don't want to read any sad news, then I probably should stay away from any and all news sources, and especially cancer related message boards and blogs. What I wish is that people would stop being so negative and finding something wrong with everything. It makes me want to stop reading these boards, which is kind of sad. And, for the record, it is true, I follow the family on Facebook and the news was shared there. 

As far as worrying about having melanoma and planning pregnancy, it's a fact that it can pass through the placenta, although it rarely happens. There is no reason to pretend that it isn't true. It doesn't mean that someone who's had melanoma should give up on having children, but it's something a future mother and father should know, understand, and come to terms with, just like any other risk of pregnancy. Just like with our medical care, it's up to each of us to be informed and advocate for ourselves, so why would family planning be any different? 

Thank you Sherron for sharing, and I'm sorry that some people insist on finding fault with something that clearly had no cruel intentions. It is a very sad story, my heart is breaking for this family that has lost Briana (mom) a little over a year ago and now little Addison. 

mel123
                                                      Participant

I think it's nice to share information here that others may want to be aware of. Unfortunately there are many times I come to read these boards and find sad news. If I don't want to read any sad news, then I probably should stay away from any and all news sources, and especially cancer related message boards and blogs. What I wish is that people would stop being so negative and finding something wrong with everything. It makes me want to stop reading these boards, which is kind of sad. And, for the record, it is true, I follow the family on Facebook and the news was shared there. 

As far as worrying about having melanoma and planning pregnancy, it's a fact that it can pass through the placenta, although it rarely happens. There is no reason to pretend that it isn't true. It doesn't mean that someone who's had melanoma should give up on having children, but it's something a future mother and father should know, understand, and come to terms with, just like any other risk of pregnancy. Just like with our medical care, it's up to each of us to be informed and advocate for ourselves, so why would family planning be any different? 

Thank you Sherron for sharing, and I'm sorry that some people insist on finding fault with something that clearly had no cruel intentions. It is a very sad story, my heart is breaking for this family that has lost Briana (mom) a little over a year ago and now little Addison. 

mel123
                                                        Participant

bikerwifee
                                                          Participant
                                                            Sherron dont apologize. I know only to well what this terrible disease can do. I just pray for the family. This page is for us to express our opions thoughts and share each others greif.
                                                            bikerwifee
                                                            Participant
                                                              Sherron dont apologize. I know only to well what this terrible disease can do. I just pray for the family. This page is for us to express our opions thoughts and share each others greif.
                                                              bikerwifee
                                                              Participant
                                                                bikerwifee
                                                                Participant
                                                                  bikerwifee
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    bikerwifee
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Sherron
                                                                      Participant

So sorry, did not mean to upset anyone.  I know Melanoma and preganancy is a scary thought.  The mother did have one child, and everything went okay.  Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone.  This came through my facebook that she had passed away.  Please accept my sincere apologies if I offened anyone.

Take Care,

Sherron
                                                                        Participant

Take Care,

awillett1991
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            This family, their battle, and their work to raise awareness – they are heroes. Thanks for posting Sherron. Glad Asdison has gone someplace better to be with her mama.
                                                                            awillett1991
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Swanee
                                                                              Participant

Swanee
                                                                                Participant

Lori C
                                                                                  Participant

Sherron, I appreciate your posting this and it certainly doesn't strike me as "off topic."  It's about a reality of melanoma.  It's not everyone's reality, mercifully, but we need to honor those who struggle in many ways, including with these losses.  I appreciated their family's willingness to share their struggle and believe it will contribute to the information pool and help others.  I am so sorry for the family's multiple losses. 

I know that the presence of some of us who have lost our loved ones to melanoma may be difficult here.  However, melanoma is part of our lives and we still feel a part of these boards.  It's not that we want to "share sad news that no one can do anything about" – not at all.  People who die from melanoma are part of the melanoma community.  They participated in clinical trials, fought hard, and advanced the science (often) to help others.  The fact that they did die from the disease should not be a discouragement to anyone.  Many of them lived far longer than expected.  Some lived incredibly richly despite the disease.  All are inspirations. 

Lori, caregiver to Will.

Lori C
                                                                                    Participant

Lori, caregiver to Will.

Viewing 30 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics