The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

B-RAF positive

Forums General Melanoma Community B-RAF positive

Participant

Well, met with oncologist today and I did test positive for B-RAF. But…..apparently my insurance company now has to pre-approve me for a clinical trial. WTF? It's not like they will be paying for it, well I guess if I get the chemo arm they will. But c'mon. I wait 2 weeks for the results and then I have to wait again? If I'm denied I know my oncologist will just keep reapplying until they say Yes.

Well, met with oncologist today and I did test positive for B-RAF. But…..apparently my insurance company now has to pre-approve me for a clinical trial. WTF? It's not like they will be paying for it, well I guess if I get the chemo arm they will. But c'mon. I wait 2 weeks for the results and then I have to wait again? If I'm denied I know my oncologist will just keep reapplying until they say Yes.

I had a good long discussion about all my options and I feel confident going forward with B-RAF. IL-2 is not out of the picture but with the toxicity I faced with it and the long recovery I would not finish the round now, I would start over again. I'm not against it but right now I'd prefer to try something that might not make me so horribly sick.

Another 8 weeks of ALT-801 might be an option also. DR. is trying to allow them to dose me at a higher dose than before. I responded both times I did an 8 week cycle.  

So I guess waiting around again.

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV since June 2008

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lori C
        Participant

I am glad you have the b-raf option – the more options the better.  I think your plan makes sense.  The ALT801 people – the Altobioscience group – were quite reasonable the times I spoke to them.  They actually sped up getting the trial set up in Illinois when I explained the situation with Will.  Unfortunately his onc. didn't realize the chemotherapy he'd had disqualified him for it. 

Wishing you excellent results and NED very soon!

Lori C
          Participant

I am glad you have the b-raf option – the more options the better.  I think your plan makes sense.  The ALT801 people – the Altobioscience group – were quite reasonable the times I spoke to them.  They actually sped up getting the trial set up in Illinois when I explained the situation with Will.  Unfortunately his onc. didn't realize the chemotherapy he'd had disqualified him for it. 

Wishing you excellent results and NED very soon!

glewis923
            Participant

Dear Kellie Sue-

Welcome to the mutant club! , which I suppose is a good thing.  I should be on IPI in 2 weeks, but I will see if I can get into the PLX4032 "Expanded Access Program".  Please keep us informed, as I'm unsure what to do, and would be curious to see how they decide to give you the B-raf inhibitor.  ie: "trial" or "expanded access".

Take Care, Grady.

glewis923
              Participant

Dear Kellie Sue-

Welcome to the mutant club! , which I suppose is a good thing.  I should be on IPI in 2 weeks, but I will see if I can get into the PLX4032 "Expanded Access Program".  Please keep us informed, as I'm unsure what to do, and would be curious to see how they decide to give you the B-raf inhibitor.  ie: "trial" or "expanded access".

Take Care, Grady.

lhaley
                Participant

So glad you have another option!!  I really don't understand why your insurance would have to pay if you got the chemo arm! It's still part of the trial and it's not like you wanted that arm.  Also, if they would have paid for that drug if you weren't part of a trial it should be approved very quickly.

Wishing you the best!

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

So glad you have another option!!  I really don't understand why your insurance would have to pay if you got the chemo arm! It's still part of the trial and it's not like you wanted that arm.  Also, if they would have paid for that drug if you weren't part of a trial it should be approved very quickly.

Wishing you the best!

Linda

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics