The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Axillary Web Syndrome (aka Cording) after SLNB

Forums General Melanoma Community Axillary Web Syndrome (aka Cording) after SLNB

Participant

Has anyone developed this condition after axillary (arm pit) lymph node surgery?  I don't see my surgeon for my next follow up until next Tuesday, and have not confirmed that I have it… But based on what I've read, it sure does look and feel like exactly that.  2 visible "tendon like" cords that run from the incision down the back & front of my arm, into the elbow.  It's extremely tight and painful when raising my arm or stretching to reach something. My range of motion is more limited now than the day after surgery. Any suggestions for pain relief?  

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

You will need to get that looked at by a physical therapist who specializes is lymphedema. They will massage it and work it out. I would try an OTC pain reliever like Advil or Alleve. 

Linny
          Participant

You will need to get that looked at by a physical therapist who specializes is lymphedema. They will massage it and work it out. I would try an OTC pain reliever like Advil or Alleve. 

Linny
            Participant

washoegal
              Participant

This is not at all unusual.  What you can do is stand next to a wall and slowly walk you hand up the wall.  Only stretch your arm to the point where it starts to pull then stop.  Repeat two or three times.  Do this several times a day, you will find you will start to strech a little more each time.  Remember don't push beyound your limits, you want to do very slow stretching.

washoegal
                Participant

This is not at all unusual.  What you can do is stand next to a wall and slowly walk you hand up the wall.  Only stretch your arm to the point where it starts to pull then stop.  Repeat two or three times.  Do this several times a day, you will find you will start to strech a little more each time.  Remember don't push beyound your limits, you want to do very slow stretching.

washoegal
                  Participant

MindyD
                    Participant

Thank you both for your feedback!  This has really thrown me for a loop, as I expected to be somewhat back to normal ROM by now.  I just wish they would've informed me of this as a possible complication.  I hate surprises! Lol.   Thanks again, much appreciated!

MindyD
                      Participant

Thank you both for your feedback!  This has really thrown me for a loop, as I expected to be somewhat back to normal ROM by now.  I just wish they would've informed me of this as a possible complication.  I hate surprises! Lol.   Thanks again, much appreciated!

MindyD
                        Participant

BrianP
                          Participant

Mindy,

I had my axillary disection in 2011 and I still have some range of motion issues due to the "cording".  I had radiation to the armpit following the lymph node removal which probably complicated the problem.  I could not believe how tight that tendon was.  It reminded me of a guitar string and you could clearly see it in my armpit when I raised my arm above my head.  It felt like it ran from my pinky to my armpit.  I did physical therapy off and on for about 6 months which helped.  The exercise mentioned about where you walk your arm up the wall is a good one.  I never really had any pain associated with mine, just range of motion issues.  One thing that has developed within the last year which I also attribute to the axillary disection is I get muscle spasms in my trapezoid.  It's really a pain when I'm driving and I have to try to stretch my arm over my head to get rid of the spasm without driving off the road.  I think it will get better for you over time but it does take work.

Brian

BrianP
                            Participant

Mindy,

I had my axillary disection in 2011 and I still have some range of motion issues due to the "cording".  I had radiation to the armpit following the lymph node removal which probably complicated the problem.  I could not believe how tight that tendon was.  It reminded me of a guitar string and you could clearly see it in my armpit when I raised my arm above my head.  It felt like it ran from my pinky to my armpit.  I did physical therapy off and on for about 6 months which helped.  The exercise mentioned about where you walk your arm up the wall is a good one.  I never really had any pain associated with mine, just range of motion issues.  One thing that has developed within the last year which I also attribute to the axillary disection is I get muscle spasms in my trapezoid.  It's really a pain when I'm driving and I have to try to stretch my arm over my head to get rid of the spasm without driving off the road.  I think it will get better for you over time but it does take work.

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

Mindy,

Brian

Bubbles
                                Participant

Hey Mindy,

Sorry you are dealing with this.  I echo most of the advice you have been given.  I had a complete lymphadenectomy of my right axilla in 2003 and of my left in 2007.  Both required work to get things back together!!!  My right has had the most residual issues (numbness, tingling, and occasional cramping…much like a Charlie Horse along my rib cage….sort of like what Brian described.)  Overall, though I cannot complain.  I'm still here!  I run, exercise, do elliptical…though sometimes there are little reminders!  I have been very lucky not to have developed lymphedema.  I found the best source for exercises to stretch things out early on were on breast cancer web sites and articles.  Walking your hands up a wall, as mentioned by Washoegal, is very helpful.  Here's an article I ran into when doing some melanoma research this am….thought you might find it interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25626622

Not sure if the process is as rare as those folks think…or maybe your case is more complicated than the rest of ours.  At any rate, the researchers seem to profer the same treatment approach that the rest of us used and there has been no link to axiallary mets just because you develop this syndrome.  (For the record…I had a positive node on one side and not on the other!)  For what it's worth.  Hang in there. You got this!!!!  Celeste

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Hey Mindy,

Sorry you are dealing with this.  I echo most of the advice you have been given.  I had a complete lymphadenectomy of my right axilla in 2003 and of my left in 2007.  Both required work to get things back together!!!  My right has had the most residual issues (numbness, tingling, and occasional cramping…much like a Charlie Horse along my rib cage….sort of like what Brian described.)  Overall, though I cannot complain.  I'm still here!  I run, exercise, do elliptical…though sometimes there are little reminders!  I have been very lucky not to have developed lymphedema.  I found the best source for exercises to stretch things out early on were on breast cancer web sites and articles.  Walking your hands up a wall, as mentioned by Washoegal, is very helpful.  Here's an article I ran into when doing some melanoma research this am….thought you might find it interesting:

Not sure if the process is as rare as those folks think…or maybe your case is more complicated than the rest of ours.  At any rate, the researchers seem to profer the same treatment approach that the rest of us used and there has been no link to axiallary mets just because you develop this syndrome.  (For the record…I had a positive node on one side and not on the other!)  For what it's worth.  Hang in there. You got this!!!!  Celeste

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Hey Mindy,

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics