The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Avastin and Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Avastin and Yervoy

Participant

Can anyone tell me anything about Avastin?  My father's oncologist suggested he be part of a study combining Yervoy with Avastin.  He has stage 4 melanoma.  I've read a lot about Yervoy but nothing on Avastin.  Thank you.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        joelcairo
        Participant

It's an anti-angiogenesis drug that targets VEGF. In other words it prevents the growth of new blood vessels that are needed in order for tumors to grow.

That's the classic explanation for how it works, but it seems to have the effect of closing off existing capillaries as well. Maybe they need a continued supply of VEGF to remain functional? Just a guess. I've had Avastin injected into my eye for retinopathy that was caused by blood vessel growth, and not only did it stop the progression but it reversed the damage completely.

It was once a promising anticancer superdrug, but its effects are much more nuanced than anticipated. In large, established tumors, it seems to have the effect of walling off the tumor, causing it to become more hypoxic, which actually makes it more dangerous. But if the tumors are very small and perhaps don't have self-sufficient microenvironments set up yet, it could be beneficial by choking them off and suppressing growth signals.

BTW, as you can imagine, it is fairly toxic as a systemic agent.

dwright09
            Participant

Can you give me the name of a Doctor who injects into the eye? My father has vision issues as a result of Yervoy.

Thanks

dwright09
              Participant

Can you give me the name of a Doctor who injects into the eye? My father has vision issues as a result of Yervoy.

Thanks

dwright09
                Participant

Thanks

joelcairo
                Participant

It's an anti-angiogenesis drug that targets VEGF. In other words it prevents the growth of new blood vessels that are needed in order for tumors to grow.

That's the classic explanation for how it works, but it seems to have the effect of closing off existing capillaries as well. Maybe they need a continued supply of VEGF to remain functional? Just a guess. I've had Avastin injected into my eye for retinopathy that was caused by blood vessel growth, and not only did it stop the progression but it reversed the damage completely.

It was once a promising anticancer superdrug, but its effects are much more nuanced than anticipated. In large, established tumors, it seems to have the effect of walling off the tumor, causing it to become more hypoxic, which actually makes it more dangerous. But if the tumors are very small and perhaps don't have self-sufficient microenvironments set up yet, it could be beneficial by choking them off and suppressing growth signals.

joelcairo
                  Participant

Tim–MRF

This is an interesting study.  As you saw in the earlier response, Avastin is an antiangiogenesis drug. In this case, though, the effect is less about stopping the formation of blood vessels and more about blocking VEGF. VEGF stands for vascular endothelial growth factor, and it is a major component in creating blood vessels. Tumors need a lot of blood so they force the body to create blood vessels in their area, much like the plan in "Little Shop of Horrors" that is always saying, "Feed me!"

But VEGF does other things, and it is over-expressed in melanoma cells. VEGF has been linked to melanoma progression and growth.  

I was actually involved peripherally in pushing this study along. A researcher had done a small study combining Avastin and Yervoy, and showed strong results. This was only a handful of patients, though, and this researcher wanted to do a larger trial. They lined up everything necessary but could not get one of the companies involved to donate drug to the study. This drug on for, I believe, a couple of years. I was in a meeting with some senior people at that company and told them that their delay was a major problem for patients. Maybe this got someone's attention because the approval was given within a month of that meeting.

It is too early to tell if this will all pan out, but here are some thoughts. The best immunotherapy drugs right now are the anti-PD1 drugs, two of which are approved. They are both approved, however, for patients who have already been treated with Yervoy. Since Yervoy is not a bad drug, and taking it is a gateway to getting an even better drug, it makes sense to give Yervoy the best possible chance to succeed. I would definitely give a clinical triap of some sort very serious consideration, and this particular trial is not a bad one.

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Francyn
                        Participant

I was on Yervoy and Opdivo,  but it didn't work. Tumors continue to grow. I've had three rounds of Taxol and Carboplatin. Doc also wanted me on Avastin  but insurance did not approve it. During my third round of chemo on Monday, I heard from Genetec  and they approved donating the Avastin. Thursday I had my first round but I do have to pay for administrative costs out-of-pocket. Small price to pay if it works. I'm scheduled for a CT at the end of the month. We'll see how well this works. 

Francyn
                          Participant

I was on Yervoy and Opdivo,  but it didn't work. Tumors continue to grow. I've had three rounds of Taxol and Carboplatin. Doc also wanted me on Avastin  but insurance did not approve it. During my third round of chemo on Monday, I heard from Genetec  and they approved donating the Avastin. Thursday I had my first round but I do have to pay for administrative costs out-of-pocket. Small price to pay if it works. I'm scheduled for a CT at the end of the month. We'll see how well this works. 

Francyn
                            Participant

Tim–MRF

This is an interesting study.  As you saw in the earlier response, Avastin is an antiangiogenesis drug. In this case, though, the effect is less about stopping the formation of blood vessels and more about blocking VEGF. VEGF stands for vascular endothelial growth factor, and it is a major component in creating blood vessels. Tumors need a lot of blood so they force the body to create blood vessels in their area, much like the plan in "Little Shop of Horrors" that is always saying, "Feed me!"

But VEGF does other things, and it is over-expressed in melanoma cells. VEGF has been linked to melanoma progression and growth.  

I was actually involved peripherally in pushing this study along. A researcher had done a small study combining Avastin and Yervoy, and showed strong results. This was only a handful of patients, though, and this researcher wanted to do a larger trial. They lined up everything necessary but could not get one of the companies involved to donate drug to the study. This drug on for, I believe, a couple of years. I was in a meeting with some senior people at that company and told them that their delay was a major problem for patients. Maybe this got someone's attention because the approval was given within a month of that meeting.

It is too early to tell if this will all pan out, but here are some thoughts. The best immunotherapy drugs right now are the anti-PD1 drugs, two of which are approved. They are both approved, however, for patients who have already been treated with Yervoy. Since Yervoy is not a bad drug, and taking it is a gateway to getting an even better drug, it makes sense to give Yervoy the best possible chance to succeed. I would definitely give a clinical triap of some sort very serious consideration, and this particular trial is not a bad one.

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics