The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Atypical Nevi

Forums General Melanoma Community Atypical Nevi

Participant

I have searched high and low for answers to my questions, but kind of get run around answers. Everyone here seems very educated on the topic, so I thought I would give it a shot here. 

I have never watched my moles….didn't ever think about melanoma. Then the doctor removed two that looked odd. The first pathologist could not come up with a clear determination on classification, so it was sent to a second pathologist. This pathologist sent report saying one was severely atypical and the other was moderately to severely atypical. Neither had clear margins so I am having both excised to get clear margins. When I went to dermatologist for first time, she saw another suspicious one, and it came back moderate but had clear margins. 

My question is…I didn't realize these were odd, so never watched for change. I have several others which are odd looking now that I have done a body check. Since I have no idea which have changed, and which have always looked weird, and all three have come back atypical, should I be concerned that there could be one that is melanoma? I'm not sure what to do now. I don't want to wait around and have the bad one missed, and I cent find answers on what I should do. 

Thanks!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Colleen66
        Participant

In my case, the melanoma was found first because it was amelanotic nodular melanoma.  my severely atypical's were found after, when I started visits with the dermatologist.  We biopsied around 4 spots I think.  Three were atypical.  I had had these before my diagnsis.  I  also have on average, 2-3 new ones per year.  My dermatologist is aggressive and leaves nothing to chance.  About 85% of mine have been atypical.  I think once one is found, there is reason to believe there is and/or may be more of them.

Colleen

Colleen66
          Participant

In my case, the melanoma was found first because it was amelanotic nodular melanoma.  my severely atypical's were found after, when I started visits with the dermatologist.  We biopsied around 4 spots I think.  Three were atypical.  I had had these before my diagnsis.  I  also have on average, 2-3 new ones per year.  My dermatologist is aggressive and leaves nothing to chance.  About 85% of mine have been atypical.  I think once one is found, there is reason to believe there is and/or may be more of them.

Colleen

Colleen66
            Participant

Colleen

Janner
              Participant

Start watching NOW.  Take pictures NOW.  If something were melanoma, it would continue to change.  But if something really isn't an ugly duckling now, I'd be fine watching things from now on.  Remove anything that changes.  The vast majority of atypical nevi will never turn into melanoma.  You are aware now and that is what counts.

Boo79
                  Participant

Thank you so much!

Boo79
                    Participant

Thank you so much!

Boo79
                      Participant

Thank you so much!

Janner
                      Participant

Start watching NOW.  Take pictures NOW.  If something were melanoma, it would continue to change.  But if something really isn't an ugly duckling now, I'd be fine watching things from now on.  Remove anything that changes.  The vast majority of atypical nevi will never turn into melanoma.  You are aware now and that is what counts.

Janner
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics