The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Atypical mole

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Atypical mole

Participant

Whilst having my derm check, I was told that a mole on my belly was now atypical. It wasnt 3 years ago!:-(  

He said it was mildly atypical and just to watch… Its about 4mm x 3mm (used to be 3×3)… And the edge has become a bit blurry, and it seems to have lightened with this blurring… I keep looking at the flipping thing!  I had  noticed it changed, but thought it was so minor, it was nothing. (Live and learn).

Its bugging me now, it's obviously not been biopsied… Whats the chance the derm got it wrong and its not atypical but something worse? Can they discern with a dermoscope?

Remove or not remove?? 

Thank you 🙂 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        A
        Participant

Personally, I would remove and forget about it. Otherwise you will keep looking and looking at it. Just my 2 cents.

wildpoppy
            Participant

Thank you!! I want to, I did ask my derm to remove it… He said no need! I am UK, so operate within NHS. They won't remove easily… I could try privately but in total would cost me around £700 🙁 money I don't easily have… I may go privately and get a second opinion? Thanks for responding. My friend also has an atyical mole (no history) but has also been told to watch and wait! Ugh….

FairRosa1
              Participant
                Hello
                I have had several atypical moles that I decided to get removed for peace of mind. Like you I live in the UK but NHS not doing so found a clinic that did this for £165. So you might be able to find cheaper than £700? Or you could get a second opinion which might cost you £250 obviously this does depend on where you live.
                Like the other comment you will keep looking at it and this can lead to undue anxiety so best to remove it then you can get on with your life.
                Regards
              MelanomaMike
              Participant
                Hello WildPoppy,3 words: ” REMOVE IT NOW! like yerself, back in 2000, my mole was small (on left leg), flat & asymmetrical but didnt know about Melanoma. Fast forward to 2008:Diagnosed stage 3b Melanoma wich metastasized to lyphnodes & have had 6 surgeries since then (all in left leg) and today, its in both lungs heavily & stage 4. Dont wait!, CUT IT OUT!!.Mike..
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics