The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Atezolizumab

Forums General Melanoma Community Atezolizumab

Participant
      Has anyone here been on Atezolizumab immunotherapy. There is a new study my husband has the opportunity to try, which is Atezolizumab combined a NT-17 shot. He was in a trial 5 years ago with Opdivo and a vaccine, which did shrink down his tumors. However, Opdivo was already being used as a treatment, and the vaccine was the experimental component. In researching Atezolizumab the materials state it’s being used for lung cancer, and breast cancer, but I don’t think it’s being used as standard melanoma patients. He’s hesitant to get on a study where neither drug has been proven effective for melanoma. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about it or has feedback. Thank you!!!
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Here are lots of articles on atezolizumab in melanoma patients: posts regarding atezo

Right now the only standard meds for melanoma are immunotherapy – in the form of anti-PD-1 as either Keytruda (pembrolizumab) or Opdivo (nivolumab) or in the ipi (Yervoy)/nivo combo – or targeted therapy – in the form of a BRAF inhibitor with a MEK inhibitor which are only effective in melanoma patients who are BRAF positive.

Atezo has served many well. However, other things looking good for melanoma patients just now beyond the current FDA approved drugs above are:

Anti-LAG-3 combined with nivo: Relatlimab plus Nivolumab in advanced melanoma patients – better than Nivo (Opdivo) alone!

NKTR-214 combined with nivo: NKTR- 214 (bempegaldesleukin) with Opdivo

There are other things out there as well, but were I in your husband’s shoes, those are the treatments I would be asking about – as well as whether or not to simply use the ipi/nivo combo. Many here have had to follow up nivo alone with that combo and have had good results. Others here have take atezo. Perhaps they will respond.
          I wish you both my best. Celeste

maxandersonjr
            Participant
              Is it possible for Atezo to work if Opdivo didn’t? I can’t seem to find any answers online and wondering if someone here knows.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics