The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

At what point does Yervoy not work?

Forums General Melanoma Community At what point does Yervoy not work?

Participant

Hi all,

I have read and heard that Yervoy has a delayed effect and sometimes doesn't work until months after the last infusion. Since there are many out there who are on or have used Yeroy, I thought I ask the question. At what point did your doctor conclude that it didnt work for you and what was the basis? At your first scans (around 3-4 weeks) after the last infusion?

Hi all,

I have read and heard that Yervoy has a delayed effect and sometimes doesn't work until months after the last infusion. Since there are many out there who are on or have used Yeroy, I thought I ask the question. At what point did your doctor conclude that it didnt work for you and what was the basis? At your first scans (around 3-4 weeks) after the last infusion?

My father had his last dose today and his doctor is not all that optimistic as his tumors have gotten worse. However, he still hasnt offerred us any other options except decarbazine which is not very effective. I am just so frustrated.

Any thoughts,advice, suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Chau

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        robinblgb
        Participant
          I was more than happy to find this internet-site.I wished to thanks on your time for this glorious learn!! I undoubtedly enjoying each little little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.
          Electronic cigarette liquid refill Fastball Cheap cost insurance life low term Dreary
          robinblgb
          Participant
            I was more than happy to find this internet-site.I wished to thanks on your time for this glorious learn!! I undoubtedly enjoying each little little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.
            Electronic cigarette liquid refill Fastball Cheap cost insurance life low term Dreary
            robinblgb
            Participant
              mombase
              Participant

Hi, Chau,

I hope others with more experience will chime in, but I am thinking that 3-4 weeks after the last infusion is way too early to make a determination. I have my last infusion next Monday and I have new tumors and inflamed old tumors, and my onc is not concerend a bit. He said he would nor even expect progress for three months after the last infusion. I am glad for that!

Cristy, Stage IV

cwu
                  Participant
                    Hi Cristy,

I think this is why I am so confused about all this, dad’s doctor has been more pessimistic after his second dose as his tumors have worsened. Plus we have no plan B at this point except for chemo which we are not thrilled about and don’t know if it is worthwhile to put dad through. All we can do for now is wait and see what scans show in 3 weeks.

Thanks Cristy and let us know how you do with Yervoy. Good luck.
                    Chau

mombase
                    Participant

Thank you, Chau, will do.  Here's hoping the best for your dad, and you. In my opinion, the waits between treatments and scans are the worst for me. I am a "fix it" kind of person, but I have had to become more patient!

Take care,

Cristy

mombase
                      Participant

Thank you, Chau, will do.  Here's hoping the best for your dad, and you. In my opinion, the waits between treatments and scans are the worst for me. I am a "fix it" kind of person, but I have had to become more patient!

Take care,

Cristy

mombase
                        Participant

Take care,

Cristy

cwu
                          Participant
                            Hi Cristy,

I think this is why I am so confused about all this, dad’s doctor has been more pessimistic after his second dose as his tumors have worsened. Plus we have no plan B at this point except for chemo which we are not thrilled about and don’t know if it is worthwhile to put dad through. All we can do for now is wait and see what scans show in 3 weeks.

Chau

cwu
                            Participant
                              Hi Cristy,

Chau

mombase
                            Participant

Hi, Chau,

I hope others with more experience will chime in, but I am thinking that 3-4 weeks after the last infusion is way too early to make a determination. I have my last infusion next Monday and I have new tumors and inflamed old tumors, and my onc is not concerend a bit. He said he would nor even expect progress for three months after the last infusion. I am glad for that!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                              Participant

Hi, Chau,

Cristy, Stage IV

Charlie S
                                Participant

Although I am sure you and others will, please do not take what follows in the wrong way.

First, don't beleive everything you read or hear about Yervoy:  but know this……….Yervoy was approved by the FDA on the sole basis  that it iextended life expectancy from 6.4 months to 10 months ina small group of  patients with adbanced melanoma.  Read that again.

Additionally in a  20% subset of that group there was a 2 year survival rate.  Read that again as well.

Some are under the mistaken spell that Yervoy works fast, has immediate and measurable results, works for everyone,  has proven tumor reduction/eradication or remission free  durability ,   None of this is true.

Although Yervoy is a welcome addition to the toolbox for working on melanoma, it as other approaches, has limits and it is far from being a silver bullet.

Frankly, if you fathers onc has just now administered the third prescribed dose of Yervoy and as is expecting to "see" something right away…………..well the guy is sorely lacking a scientific understanding of what he is administering.   It is widely known that things will get worse before they get better with Yervoy.

Yervoy of itself does not kill melanoma, rather it enables and enhances the ability of the body to launch an immune response to seek out and destroy melanoma.  And it will take time for that immune response to initiate.

I would urge you again read paragraph two to understand why Yervoy was approved.  Over the years, and still today I continue to see unrealistic hand-wringing about treatment expectations. 

Look at Intron and all the mental turmoil people go through, yet they often miss how it is billed as a treatment, which is to "delay recurrence of those at high risk for recurrence",,,,,,,,,,,yet time and time again people miss that.

There is no magic pill for melanoma, and it is unrealistic to expect immediate and measurable response from any drug.

I empathize and understand your concerns for your father and I do wish him well, but please do not fall prety to unrealistic expectations and expect something right now…………………it will take time.

There are many reasons it is truly a battle with melanoma because the victories can be small, impossible to see at the moment,  are cumulative and require constant regrouping to assess progress.

Don't expect too much too soon; but surely keep working the problem.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                  Participant

Although I am sure you and others will, please do not take what follows in the wrong way.

First, don't beleive everything you read or hear about Yervoy:  but know this……….Yervoy was approved by the FDA on the sole basis  that it iextended life expectancy from 6.4 months to 10 months ina small group of  patients with adbanced melanoma.  Read that again.

Additionally in a  20% subset of that group there was a 2 year survival rate.  Read that again as well.

Some are under the mistaken spell that Yervoy works fast, has immediate and measurable results, works for everyone,  has proven tumor reduction/eradication or remission free  durability ,   None of this is true.

Although Yervoy is a welcome addition to the toolbox for working on melanoma, it as other approaches, has limits and it is far from being a silver bullet.

Frankly, if you fathers onc has just now administered the third prescribed dose of Yervoy and as is expecting to "see" something right away…………..well the guy is sorely lacking a scientific understanding of what he is administering.   It is widely known that things will get worse before they get better with Yervoy.

Yervoy of itself does not kill melanoma, rather it enables and enhances the ability of the body to launch an immune response to seek out and destroy melanoma.  And it will take time for that immune response to initiate.

I would urge you again read paragraph two to understand why Yervoy was approved.  Over the years, and still today I continue to see unrealistic hand-wringing about treatment expectations. 

Look at Intron and all the mental turmoil people go through, yet they often miss how it is billed as a treatment, which is to "delay recurrence of those at high risk for recurrence",,,,,,,,,,,yet time and time again people miss that.

There is no magic pill for melanoma, and it is unrealistic to expect immediate and measurable response from any drug.

I empathize and understand your concerns for your father and I do wish him well, but please do not fall prety to unrealistic expectations and expect something right now…………………it will take time.

There are many reasons it is truly a battle with melanoma because the victories can be small, impossible to see at the moment,  are cumulative and require constant regrouping to assess progress.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Lisa13
                                      Participant
                                        Hi Chau,

I just watched the video again from dr. Wolchuk on ipi. A patient with lungs mets had new tumours and bigger ones in his liver, but he felt great. Weeks later, there was a big change in the scans and everything starting to shrink.

As Charlie said, it’s normal at times for some people to get worse before they get better. Your DAd’s dr should keep an open mind until they know for sure it’s not working.

Did you mention before that your dad’s ALC dropped?

Lisa

Lisa13
                                        Participant
                                          Hi Chau,

I just watched the video again from dr. Wolchuk on ipi. A patient with lungs mets had new tumours and bigger ones in his liver, but he felt great. Weeks later, there was a big change in the scans and everything starting to shrink.

As Charlie said, it’s normal at times for some people to get worse before they get better. Your DAd’s dr should keep an open mind until they know for sure it’s not working.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                          Participant
                                            Hi Chau,

Lisa

cwu
                                            Participant
                                              Hi Lisa,

Congrats for having such a great response to Yervoy. I also have watched that video and read a paper from dr. Wolchuk that talks about cases where patients respond differently to Yervoy which is why it is baffling why dads doctor has been so pessimistic about his reaction to Yervoy so far. His ALC dropped after second dose to 1.58 from 1.98 but I don’t know what it is today, I forgot to ask. If people react so differently to this med, I guess how do you know at what point should you stop waiting for it to work and start another treatment? His doctor said the scans in three weeks are crucial so I guess all we can is wait to see what happens.

Thanks Lisa,

Chau

cwu
                                              Participant
                                                Hi Lisa,

Congrats for having such a great response to Yervoy. I also have watched that video and read a paper from dr. Wolchuk that talks about cases where patients respond differently to Yervoy which is why it is baffling why dads doctor has been so pessimistic about his reaction to Yervoy so far. His ALC dropped after second dose to 1.58 from 1.98 but I don’t know what it is today, I forgot to ask. If people react so differently to this med, I guess how do you know at what point should you stop waiting for it to work and start another treatment? His doctor said the scans in three weeks are crucial so I guess all we can is wait to see what happens.

Thanks Lisa,

Chau

cwu
                                                Participant
                                                  Hi Lisa,

Thanks Lisa,

Chau

Lisa13
                                                  Participant

Hi Chau,

First of all, I wish your Dad best wishes for his next scan.  Until the treatment is over and the scans are done at about 16 and 20 weeks, you won't know for sure.  The important thing is to have the ALC above 1.00, so your Dad's is still above the norm. Keep hanging in there.

I think after the 20th or 24th week scan, you should know for sure. However, Terra's husband was told he didn't respond in September and I think it was late October, when it started happening for him. He was a late responder.  I think because this drug is still fairly new, that Dr;s don't even know for sure what's going to happen.  Have a plan b and c in place as this is what most people do.

I unfortuntely grew 2 brain mets while on Yervoy which was shocking to them since I had great success in my lungs and received no other new tumours.  ipi could have been making 1 of them a bit bigger or I had more before – they just don't know for sure. I had gamma knife done and always remain hopeful.  It's very normal for people to grow new tumours while on Yervoy – that's because Yervoy takes about 3 months to work, so it's easy for new tumours to grow in the meantime. Once the immune system has kicked in, you just hope that it flows through the body and targets tumours to shrink and helps eliminate micromets for awhile. Some people are very lucky to be put in a remission with ipi. Yes, it's not many at all – but some have.

Again, figure out your Plan B & C, and don't give up hope on this drug until you absolutely have to,

Lisa

Lisa13
                                                    Participant

Hi Chau,

First of all, I wish your Dad best wishes for his next scan.  Until the treatment is over and the scans are done at about 16 and 20 weeks, you won't know for sure.  The important thing is to have the ALC above 1.00, so your Dad's is still above the norm. Keep hanging in there.

I think after the 20th or 24th week scan, you should know for sure. However, Terra's husband was told he didn't respond in September and I think it was late October, when it started happening for him. He was a late responder.  I think because this drug is still fairly new, that Dr;s don't even know for sure what's going to happen.  Have a plan b and c in place as this is what most people do.

I unfortuntely grew 2 brain mets while on Yervoy which was shocking to them since I had great success in my lungs and received no other new tumours.  ipi could have been making 1 of them a bit bigger or I had more before – they just don't know for sure. I had gamma knife done and always remain hopeful.  It's very normal for people to grow new tumours while on Yervoy – that's because Yervoy takes about 3 months to work, so it's easy for new tumours to grow in the meantime. Once the immune system has kicked in, you just hope that it flows through the body and targets tumours to shrink and helps eliminate micromets for awhile. Some people are very lucky to be put in a remission with ipi. Yes, it's not many at all – but some have.

Again, figure out your Plan B & C, and don't give up hope on this drug until you absolutely have to,

Lisa

Lisa13
                                                      Participant

Hi Chau,

Lisa

cwu
                                                        Participant
                                                          Hi Charlie,

I understand your point, Yervoy worked on a very small percentage of patients but we feel that this is the best hope for dad as he cannot take other treatments that are more toxic because of his age. We are prepared (though impatient) to wait for Yervoy to do it’s thing but just very disappointed and confused as his doctor is not that hopeful.
                                                          Thanks for your input,
                                                          Chau

Charlie S
                                                          Participant

Hey there Chau, I wanted to expand on my previous post to you.  When people are a bit impatient about treatments, in particular new ones, I may come across as a bit harsh, which is not my intent, but it always seems important to inject some hard realities about expectations, and that was my intent.

There is NO way I would ever question the approach your father has chosen, only to try and temper your expectations.  My good pal Jerry from Cape Cod (whom I posted an update about today)has been a Yervoy………what was .then Ipilimumab,  poster boy for well over two years when he entered the IPI brain mets trial

Progress has been slow, response was slow, complications were many,  but he DID improve, but only because he believed in ipi, his doctors believed in ipi, they stayed on top of any problems that arose and always, always, always continued to work the problem.  And it took time and it has been a process.

It is troubling to me, and leads me to question why the doctor attending your father has such a pessimistic viewpoint of the ability of Yervoy to work in such a short period of time.

.  The clinical trials showed it, since approval, patient experience has showed it, that if Yervoy is going to work, it will not happen in days or weeks, but may well take four to six months and will probably get worse before there is a measurable immune response.

No question of  your choices from me.  In fairness though, the doctor is not being realistic and is doing your father and your family a disservice to expect instant results.. …he should be encouraging you, based upon the science, that Yervoy is going to take time and not be so dismissive about the ability for the treatment to work.

If I may role play a moment, if I were in the doctors office ……………"Doctor, you have just given my father the third administration of Yervoy, and you appear to have no real patience or faith that it will be beneficial and I do not understand why you feel that way. So please tell me."

"Doctor, It has been clearly shown in clinical trials that this drug does not work fast and can take weeks or months for the desired result. and I am confused why on the third month you appear to have no belief it will work for my father.  Is there some other treatment you feel may be more effective?  If that is true, why did you not say so before embarking on this path? "

" We, as a family are confused that you, as his doctor , seem unconvinced this is the best way forward.  Exactly why do you feel this way, because frankly, doctor, if you do not believe the treatment may be beneficial, we are compelled to ask why you prescribed it in the first place"

End of role play.  But really, think about that and don't get white coat syndrome, it is the life of your father and not his doctor.  You need an explanation the doctors pessimism.  And I would plant my feet in his office and not budge until given an explanation.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Lisa13
                                                            Participant
                                                              Charlie,

Thanks for posting about Jerry. He’s done so well on ipi and it took a long time for his lung and brain mets to disappear. From what i recall, it was longer than 100 days!

Even though he’s going through some rough challenges right now, I hope I can be as lucky as him for at least 2 years.

Believe it or not, with the crap that you’ve been through after being diagnosed years ago, you’re a huge hero to me as well.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                                              Participant
                                                                Charlie,

Thanks for posting about Jerry. He’s done so well on ipi and it took a long time for his lung and brain mets to disappear. From what i recall, it was longer than 100 days!

Even though he’s going through some rough challenges right now, I hope I can be as lucky as him for at least 2 years.

Believe it or not, with the crap that you’ve been through after being diagnosed years ago, you’re a huge hero to me as well.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Charlie,

Lisa

Charlie S
                                                                  Participant

Hey there Chau, I wanted to expand on my previous post to you.  When people are a bit impatient about treatments, in particular new ones, I may come across as a bit harsh, which is not my intent, but it always seems important to inject some hard realities about expectations, and that was my intent.

There is NO way I would ever question the approach your father has chosen, only to try and temper your expectations.  My good pal Jerry from Cape Cod (whom I posted an update about today)has been a Yervoy………what was .then Ipilimumab,  poster boy for well over two years when he entered the IPI brain mets trial

Progress has been slow, response was slow, complications were many,  but he DID improve, but only because he believed in ipi, his doctors believed in ipi, they stayed on top of any problems that arose and always, always, always continued to work the problem.  And it took time and it has been a process.

It is troubling to me, and leads me to question why the doctor attending your father has such a pessimistic viewpoint of the ability of Yervoy to work in such a short period of time.

.  The clinical trials showed it, since approval, patient experience has showed it, that if Yervoy is going to work, it will not happen in days or weeks, but may well take four to six months and will probably get worse before there is a measurable immune response.

No question of  your choices from me.  In fairness though, the doctor is not being realistic and is doing your father and your family a disservice to expect instant results.. …he should be encouraging you, based upon the science, that Yervoy is going to take time and not be so dismissive about the ability for the treatment to work.

If I may role play a moment, if I were in the doctors office ……………"Doctor, you have just given my father the third administration of Yervoy, and you appear to have no real patience or faith that it will be beneficial and I do not understand why you feel that way. So please tell me."

"Doctor, It has been clearly shown in clinical trials that this drug does not work fast and can take weeks or months for the desired result. and I am confused why on the third month you appear to have no belief it will work for my father.  Is there some other treatment you feel may be more effective?  If that is true, why did you not say so before embarking on this path? "

" We, as a family are confused that you, as his doctor , seem unconvinced this is the best way forward.  Exactly why do you feel this way, because frankly, doctor, if you do not believe the treatment may be beneficial, we are compelled to ask why you prescribed it in the first place"

End of role play.  But really, think about that and don't get white coat syndrome, it is the life of your father and not his doctor.  You need an explanation the doctors pessimism.  And I would plant my feet in his office and not budge until given an explanation.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                    Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

cwu
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Hi Charlie,

I understand your point, Yervoy worked on a very small percentage of patients but we feel that this is the best hope for dad as he cannot take other treatments that are more toxic because of his age. We are prepared (though impatient) to wait for Yervoy to do it’s thing but just very disappointed and confused as his doctor is not that hopeful.
                                                                        Thanks for your input,
                                                                        Chau

cwu
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your input,
                                                                          Chau

Charlie S
                                                                        Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

malynchi
                                                                          Participant

For me I think the best option at this point for patients to try and combine therapies.  This wait and see attitude is literally getting us killed.  I am lobbying for TACE treatement with DEBIR along with Yervoy concurrently.  The thought is that if you can poison the tumor directly (not systemically) it will be much easier for the yervoy to pick off the melanoma.  Cancer is very adaptive, so I think the trick is trying different things at once.  

The Drug Companies and Drs get paid no matter what happens to us.  We are in a high risk situation and need to take matters into our own hands. Now there is the argument that therapies could interfere with one another.  That's possible, but I for one don't want to go the grave knowing that I didn't do everything I could.

I feel as if the general opinion out there is that we are all going to die and the drs. job is to just try and improve Quality of Life while we wait for the inevitable.  This can not be our thinking.  We have to look at all of the options out there and be willing to take risks.  Its our lives at stake.

I wish you all the best in your treatment options.  Please do your homework.  Arm yourself with knowledge and do whatever you feel is necessary to fight this thing so when the time does come you know you did everything you possibly could.

Here are examples of things I have done to speed up treatment/testing.

I needed to have the Genetic testing performed to see if I am a candidate for Zelboraf.  I was told that it would take two weeks.  The test it self only takes 12 hours or so to perform so 2 weeks is unacceptable.  I researched the labs and found one that could perform in 3-5 days.  I called the original lab and let them know the situation and the committed to expediting results in less than 5 days. 

Also, my insurance company told me it would take 15 days to approve yervoy treatment.  I contacted my employer because our contract allows my company to request an expedited review and the yervoy was approved in 24 hours and mailed the next day. 

There are more resources out there than you know and quite possibly more levers we can pull when we are in the know.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you all the happiness and joy possible.

Take care, God Bless and Livestrong

M

malynchi
                                                                            Participant

For me I think the best option at this point for patients to try and combine therapies.  This wait and see attitude is literally getting us killed.  I am lobbying for TACE treatement with DEBIR along with Yervoy concurrently.  The thought is that if you can poison the tumor directly (not systemically) it will be much easier for the yervoy to pick off the melanoma.  Cancer is very adaptive, so I think the trick is trying different things at once.  

The Drug Companies and Drs get paid no matter what happens to us.  We are in a high risk situation and need to take matters into our own hands. Now there is the argument that therapies could interfere with one another.  That's possible, but I for one don't want to go the grave knowing that I didn't do everything I could.

I feel as if the general opinion out there is that we are all going to die and the drs. job is to just try and improve Quality of Life while we wait for the inevitable.  This can not be our thinking.  We have to look at all of the options out there and be willing to take risks.  Its our lives at stake.

I wish you all the best in your treatment options.  Please do your homework.  Arm yourself with knowledge and do whatever you feel is necessary to fight this thing so when the time does come you know you did everything you possibly could.

I needed to have the Genetic testing performed to see if I am a candidate for Zelboraf.  I was told that it would take two weeks.  The test it self only takes 12 hours or so to perform so 2 weeks is unacceptable.  I researched the labs and found one that could perform in 3-5 days.  I called the original lab and let them know the situation and the committed to expediting results in less than 5 days. 

Also, my insurance company told me it would take 15 days to approve yervoy treatment.  I contacted my employer because our contract allows my company to request an expedited review and the yervoy was approved in 24 hours and mailed the next day. 

There are more resources out there than you know and quite possibly more levers we can pull when we are in the know.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you all the happiness and joy possible.

M

malynchi
                                                                              Participant

M

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics