The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Arthritis after multiple immunotherapy treatments

Forums General Melanoma Community Arthritis after multiple immunotherapy treatments

Participant

I am fortunate to be long term Stage IV survivor (7 years since last recurrence) and over a period of 8 years, did multiple treatments (INF, vaccine trial, Ipi, pulsed IL-2).

While I'm certainly not getting any younger (61), I've really noticed more joint pain and osteoarthritis in my feet and hands.    A lot of this seemed to come on  after the pulsed IL-2 treatment but it may well be the result of cumulative treatments over time.  

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this after doing multiple immunotherapy treatments.  

Thank you,

Mary

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Scooby123
        Participant

Hi MaryD

first of all I would like to say congrats for 7 years Ned. Did you have any arthuritus before treatments started. I have oestoarthritus for 20 years am 48 years old. I am stage 4 liver ,lungs  tumours had ippi treatment and my arthuritus has been a bit more painful since completing treatment but also winter does not help either. The reason I asked if you have it before  then  it could have just got worse over time not been awful but hope you do not mind me saying could it be we are not getting any younger. Speak to your GP and see what they say differnt meds might help . 

Good luck take care

scooby123❤️

MaryD
            Participant

No ,  I had no joint pain or obvious arthritis before treatments but my Mom did have Heberdon's nodes on her fingers so I could certainly have inherited those. 

It was interesting – during the pulsed IL-2, I noticed the skin on my hands suddenly looked shriveled – like they aged 20 years!   It eventuallly improved after treatment but asked one of my physicians, Dr. Jeffrey Weber about it.    I thought it might be dehydration but he said it was due to inflammation – and that it can last a long time. 

No doubt the arthritis is due to a confluence of factors – inheritance, treatments, normal aging etc.

But, as we know too well, way better than the alternative!

Mary

mms7angels1
              Participant

Hi Mary

You go girl, awesome woman you are. I'm 57, in last 8 years have also had INF, IL-2, radiation to lungs, arm, brain and the last 6 months on Nivo. My arthritis in my AC joints, hands, feet, knees is worse in the last 6 months. It shows on scans, mris, and pain relievers don't help. I try to walk a couple of miles every day, take epsom salt baths and pay attention to the shoes I wear as I need support for the mid-sole in addition my high arches. Started Osteo Bi-flex (glucosamin and chondroitin) supplements to see if that may help. BTW, Dr. Weber is a great guy. I've been under the care of Dr. Sharfman at JHU and he's been so great to me and for me.  

I wish you all the best Mary, keep on living!

Maureen

mms7angels1
                Participant

Hi Mary

You go girl, awesome woman you are. I'm 57, in last 8 years have also had INF, IL-2, radiation to lungs, arm, brain and the last 6 months on Nivo. My arthritis in my AC joints, hands, feet, knees is worse in the last 6 months. It shows on scans, mris, and pain relievers don't help. I try to walk a couple of miles every day, take epsom salt baths and pay attention to the shoes I wear as I need support for the mid-sole in addition my high arches. Started Osteo Bi-flex (glucosamin and chondroitin) supplements to see if that may help. BTW, Dr. Weber is a great guy. I've been under the care of Dr. Sharfman at JHU and he's been so great to me and for me.  

Maureen

mms7angels1
                  Participant

Hi Mary

Maureen

MaryD
                    Participant

No ,  I had no joint pain or obvious arthritis before treatments but my Mom did have Heberdon's nodes on her fingers so I could certainly have inherited those. 

It was interesting – during the pulsed IL-2, I noticed the skin on my hands suddenly looked shriveled – like they aged 20 years!   It eventuallly improved after treatment but asked one of my physicians, Dr. Jeffrey Weber about it.    I thought it might be dehydration but he said it was due to inflammation – and that it can last a long time. 

No doubt the arthritis is due to a confluence of factors – inheritance, treatments, normal aging etc.

Mary

MaryD
                      Participant

Mary

Scooby123
                      Participant

Hi MaryD

first of all I would like to say congrats for 7 years Ned. Did you have any arthuritus before treatments started. I have oestoarthritus for 20 years am 48 years old. I am stage 4 liver ,lungs  tumours had ippi treatment and my arthuritus has been a bit more painful since completing treatment but also winter does not help either. The reason I asked if you have it before  then  it could have just got worse over time not been awful but hope you do not mind me saying could it be we are not getting any younger. Speak to your GP and see what they say differnt meds might help . 

Good luck take care

scooby123❤️

Scooby123
                        Participant

Hi MaryD

Good luck take care

scooby123❤️

Bubbles
                          Participant

Hi Mary,

Lots of folks experience arthralgias while on various immunotherapies. Jubes (a commentor on this forum) dealt with rather extreme problems (you can search for her comments).  While I do think the effects of all immunotherapies are cummulative (something researchers contradicted that at first…but are coming around to it more and more) meaning…at first the side effects (whatever they may be) are mild…but worsen as we take more of the med.  However, for most, the side effects, including arthralgias, improve over time off the medication.  Treatment is generally as expected for arthritis/arthralgias…whatever the cause.

Here's a link to an article about folks who developed arthritis on anti-PD1:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/11/arthritis-associated-with-anti-pd1.html

Here's a link to researchers discussing side effects and their management generally….including arthralgias:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/09/side-effects-and-how-to-manage-them-in.html

And as the other commentor noted…congrats on 7 years without recurrence!  No small thing indeed.  And…it is true….none of us are getting any younger…but it sure beats the alternative.  Talk to your doc about your symptoms and past history.  Hopefully you can find some relief.  Celeste

MaryD
                              Participant

Thanks for the feedback Celeste – yes, to be sure , it is way better than the alternative!   I suspect it is a combination of all the factors coming together.   Taking NSAIDs with minimal success and will be having mid foot fusion in the near future.   

The very bright side of my journey is that I can give hope to others fighting this disease – there are more and more long term survivors out there 🙂

Mary

MaryD
                                Participant

Thanks for the feedback Celeste – yes, to be sure , it is way better than the alternative!   I suspect it is a combination of all the factors coming together.   Taking NSAIDs with minimal success and will be having mid foot fusion in the near future.   

The very bright side of my journey is that I can give hope to others fighting this disease – there are more and more long term survivors out there 🙂

Mary

MaryD
                                  Participant

Mary

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Hi Mary,

Lots of folks experience arthralgias while on various immunotherapies. Jubes (a commentor on this forum) dealt with rather extreme problems (you can search for her comments).  While I do think the effects of all immunotherapies are cummulative (something researchers contradicted that at first…but are coming around to it more and more) meaning…at first the side effects (whatever they may be) are mild…but worsen as we take more of the med.  However, for most, the side effects, including arthralgias, improve over time off the medication.  Treatment is generally as expected for arthritis/arthralgias…whatever the cause.

Here's a link to an article about folks who developed arthritis on anti-PD1:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/11/arthritis-associated-with-anti-pd1.html

Here's a link to researchers discussing side effects and their management generally….including arthralgias:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/09/side-effects-and-how-to-manage-them-in.html

And as the other commentor noted…congrats on 7 years without recurrence!  No small thing indeed.  And…it is true….none of us are getting any younger…but it sure beats the alternative.  Talk to your doc about your symptoms and past history.  Hopefully you can find some relief.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Hi Mary,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics