The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

arnie and sherry

Forums General Melanoma Community arnie and sherry

Participant

My husband arnie, was diagnosed in2008 it started with a mole on his back, 9 months latter it moved to his neck 21 lymph nodes removed started intrerferon for1 year very hard on him .13months later it spread to his chest  he had surgery to remove it . it has been about 11 months and he has been doing fine he just had a cat scan of chest abdoium pelvic and neck . does anyone know what we should try next.

My husband arnie, was diagnosed in2008 it started with a mole on his back, 9 months latter it moved to his neck 21 lymph nodes removed started intrerferon for1 year very hard on him .13months later it spread to his chest  he had surgery to remove it . it has been about 11 months and he has been doing fine he just had a cat scan of chest abdoium pelvic and neck . does anyone know what we should try next.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Welcome to our forum. Sorry to read that your husband has had a tumour in his chest. Has he had a
          PET scan recently? What follow up treatment has his doctor suggested?

Frank from Australia

arnie and sherry
            Participant

no he has not had a pet scan yet we are waiting for medicare in august. thank you for welcoming us

arnie and sherry
              Participant

no he has not had a pet scan yet we are waiting for medicare in august. thank you for welcoming us

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Welcome to our forum. Sorry to read that your husband has had a tumour in his chest. Has he had a
                PET scan recently? What follow up treatment has his doctor suggested?

Frank from Australia

dian in spokane
                Participant

So..if I understand you correctly, your husband is currently without any active disease? he's been 'clear' since his surgery 11 months ago? He's had a recent set of scans, did you get the results of those? are you worried that those are not 'clear'?

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of great treatments for stage 4 disease, but even fewer when dealing with someone who is NED (No Evidence of Disease). Most treatments, drugs, radiation etc, are for people with active tumors that need to be shrunk or removed. So if he remains NED, then observation is likely the only thing they will do at this point, though it is always worth asking the oncologist about how to find out about any trials he might be eligible for.

If I am reading you wrong, and you got bad news on those scans, and he now has active disease again, then there might be some options open. It depends on the situation.

I hope arnie IS NED. Even though it feels odd to be stage IV and not doing treatment, it's better to be in remission!

Welcome to the board

Dian in spokane

arnie and sherry
                    Participant

Sorry I Have not written in a while been really busy . still have not got back any results but since then he had to go have a ct of his head been having shooting pain from his temple to his eye . he is stage 3. could you tell me a little about yourself .are you the siemers family that comes up on right corner sorry iam knew to this

arnie and sherry
                      Participant

Sorry I Have not written in a while been really busy . still have not got back any results but since then he had to go have a ct of his head been having shooting pain from his temple to his eye . he is stage 3. could you tell me a little about yourself .are you the siemers family that comes up on right corner sorry iam knew to this

dian in spokane
                      Participant

So..if I understand you correctly, your husband is currently without any active disease? he's been 'clear' since his surgery 11 months ago? He's had a recent set of scans, did you get the results of those? are you worried that those are not 'clear'?

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of great treatments for stage 4 disease, but even fewer when dealing with someone who is NED (No Evidence of Disease). Most treatments, drugs, radiation etc, are for people with active tumors that need to be shrunk or removed. So if he remains NED, then observation is likely the only thing they will do at this point, though it is always worth asking the oncologist about how to find out about any trials he might be eligible for.

If I am reading you wrong, and you got bad news on those scans, and he now has active disease again, then there might be some options open. It depends on the situation.

I hope arnie IS NED. Even though it feels odd to be stage IV and not doing treatment, it's better to be in remission!

Welcome to the board

Dian in spokane

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics