The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Armpit area swollen after Stage I excision

Forums General Melanoma Community Armpit area swollen after Stage I excision

Participant

I've been diagnosed with Stage I melanoma (Clark's level III) after my routine derm checkup in February, and had it removed last Thursday (March 1st). After two days, I noticed a big swollen lump in the armpit area, which is tender to touch. Today's Sunday, so I can't call the doc to follow up, but I'm really worried if this is related to the melanoma. Theoretically melanoma should not spread to the nodes at this early stage, but there could be some possiblibity? I had my lymph nodes swollen while sick, but never in that area.

Any thoughts?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

This is most likely related to the surgery.  Is your wound at all red or hot?  It might be you have an infection.  Definitely give your doc a call, but I don't think this is melanoma spread, but melanoma side effect from surgery.

Marcin
            Participant

Thanks, I don't see anything unusual, but the wound is still covered with the strips over the stiches, so hard to say. I do have a history of post-op infections, so this might be it. 

nicholewolf14
              Participant

I recently had a melanoma surgery (it's been about 3 weeks), and I noticed some breast pain/tenderness near my armpits. I consulted my doctor, and she said that it's most likely hormonal, but that if any pain persists, I need to see a doctor. Hard, swollen lumps that don't go away are a sign that there is cancer in the lymph nodes related to melanoma. Therefore, I would recommend getting it checked out if the lump does not subside – even if everything comes back clear, its better to know than not know.

Marksa2570
                Participant

Hi…. my melanoma was stage I/level 3 on my bicip and even a year later, the lymph node in my armpit on that side is still larger than the other side.   Its about the size of a marble or peanut M&M.      I recall someone saying it could be trauma from surgery or something.   Its just never gone back down.    I keep an eye on it just to make sure it doesnt get bigger or more dont enlarge.   Best of luck with everything – I know how concerning it is.       

Marcin
                  Participant

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. The swelling eased of a bit, but I'm still seeing the surgeon tomorrow to rule out anything serious.

Marcin
                  Participant

I had a check-up with the surgeon and it turned out to be a "reactive lymph node" due to the surgery. The swelling is almost gone now, but I will have it checked in about two weeks just in case.

Other good news – histopath analysis came today and shows clear margins on the excision! No trace of melanoma. Yay!

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics