The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Are we wrong in NOT wanting to do the Combo IPI/Nivo?

Forums General Melanoma Community Are we wrong in NOT wanting to do the Combo IPI/Nivo?

Participant
      Hi melanoma peeps,
      Short version is my husband did IPI he finished in Feb 2015. We had a recurrance recently in lymph node. Just had surgery to remove it. Oncologist wants him to do the Combo where my husband and I are more comfortable with just the Nivo. We had to rule out radiation because my husband also was diagnosed with prostate/bladder cancer. Both are currently NED. With the research I’ve done Nivo is great for patients with no to low disease and your combo is used for more high tumor burden. We feel if the Nivo doesn’t do enough to hold back the disease we can cross over and add IPI. Are we crazy in our thinking?

Cammy & Ken

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hukill
        Participant
          It came back, I would do the combo.
            Jewel
            Participant
              How did you make out with the combo? Thanks for the reply.
            Bubbles
            Participant
              I can see your point given that Ken has already had ipi and is now NED. However, there are those who are close to being in his shoes who would do anything to acquire the ipi/nivo combo and can’t get it (like some Stage III peeps who had all obvious tumor removed). Here’s the deal – yes, you make an accurate point that nivo alone is excellent for some folks, esp when begun with a low tumor burden. I am one of those. Did 2 1/2 years of nivo s/p brain and lung mets. Still NED for melanoma 9 years later. BUT –
              1. You are dealing with recurrence.
              2. Anti-PD-1 alone = about a 40% response rate. Ipi/nivo combo = 50% plus response rate.
              3. Folks who do ipi first followed by nivo. This post may interest you: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/09/sequential-nivo-then-ipi-orr-of-41-ipi.html (I think the title says it all: Sequential nivo then ipi = ORR of 41%. Ipi followed by nivo = ORR of 20%!!!! FDA! Are you listening???????)
              3. Now – I’m not saying that the ipi Ken took in 2015 would create this effect, but I would want to minimize that potential and by taking the ipi/nivo combo now I imagine the docs are thinking it would ameliorate any such effect.
              4. Yes, ipi is the bad boy of the combo. But, here’s the thing – if the docs start you on the ipi/nivo combo and the side effects are untenable, you can always drop ipi and continue with nivo as a single agent.

Just my thoughts upon putting myself in your shoes given the research I’ve followed for many years. Treatment decisions are very personal. What reason has your doc given for recommending the combo? I wish you both my best. Celeste

Jewel
                Participant
                  As always Celeste thank you so much for your reply. Our oncologist just wants to give Ken the best available treatment out there. Because Ken faired well side effects wise with the IPI he feels he has a good shot with the combo. We live in the woods in the Adirondacks a 90 min drive to the hospital. We are just trying to make the best decision here. We thought we had this kicked.
                gopher38
                Participant
                  I’d lean towards the combo and back off in case of problems.
                    Jewel
                    Participant
                      It’s a big decision, we appreciate your reply.
                    RichInLife2
                    Participant
                      I faced a similar decision last year when I was diagnosed stage IV. The standard of care that everyone was recommending was the combo. I was very uncomfortable with the risk of side effects. If you look at the statistics from the trials, the incidence of grade III and IV adverse effects goes up disproportionately with increase in clinical benefit. In other words, you get a lot more serious side effects and only a modest increase in overall survival.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1709684

Now, on the other hand, the combo can often give a quick and durable response, and as Celeste points out, the IPI can be stopped and monotherapy continued with Nivo if side effects do occur. It’s a tough decision. I ended up choosing Nivo alone because I was risk adverse. As it turns out, I ended getting diabetes and colitis from the Nivo. and I got kicked off all treatment in April. So much for avoiding risk! The good news is that I had a good response from the Nivo alone and my last two scans have been clean (no active disease). Obviously, this is a big YMMV.

The doctors I’ve seen are all surprised that I chose monotherapy over the combo, but I was lucky that my original oncologist at Dana Farber was supportive of my decision and didn’t try to pressure me into choosing a treatment that I was uncomfortable with. You are not crazy in your thinking. You have to do what feels right to you. I hope that the doctors you see will support you in whatever treatment decision you decide upon.

Good luck,

-RIch

Jewel
                        Participant
                          Rich thank you so much for your reply. Sorry you still suffered some horrible side effects but thrilled you are having a great response. It’s a tough decision.
                        Johnjk04
                        Participant
                          2012 – melanoma in my brain and pretty much every organ. Some brain surgery, Gamma Knife and THE COMBO. Been NED since August 2012. Love the combo – hate the melanoma. Let’s keep Ken around.
                            Jewel
                            Participant
                              Wow John that’s incredible. Blessed for sure!! Keeping Ken around is the plan. Thanks again!!
                            Edwin
                            Participant
                              Your wanting just nivo immunotherapy is reasonable. In your situation I would want just nivo. Melanoma was in several of my bones in March 2016. After ipi + nivo immunotherapy my bone cancer disappeared. I continued to receive nivo immunotherapy. Melanoma appeared in a lymph node in April 2018. I had radiation to it and continued nivo immunotherapy. This tumor was less active in my last PET scan. Since your husband is NED, I think just nivo is appropriate. I was very sick after my first ipi + nivo infusion.
                                Edwin
                                Participant
                                  When I had melanoma in a rib, my oncologist began immunotherapy with Keytruda. She told me that she chose it, because it had less severe side effects. After Keytruda immunotherapy failed, my oncologist switched me to Yervoy + Opdivo immunotherapy. Side effects were much more severe. Although Keytruda immunotherapy did not help me, I believe my oncologist’s decision to try it was reasonable.

Has you husband had a brain MRI? Ipi + nivo works significantly better than nivo alone for melanoma in the brain.

Jewel
                                  Participant
                                    Edwin thank you for your reply. It truly is a tough decision for sure. Very happy that your maintaining a stable response!
                                  studiodad
                                  Participant
                                    I’m new to this and 2 days ago my oncologist recommended Opdivo. There are so many variables in treatment that we can’t possibly know what’s right for any patient.. An experienced oncologist should be able to make these decision for you, or at least explain the basis for the recommendation. Mine did both and I have great confidence in her expertise. If you can’t accept your oncologist’s advice, maybe you should get a second opinion or a new oncologist you have faith in. None of us can recommend what’s best for you. We lack the education and training and don’t know the details of your history. Good luck with your decision and be well.
                                      Jewel
                                      Participant
                                        Thank you studiodad for your reply. This site gives me the chance to bounce ideas, fears and listen to other’s experiences. Everybody’s case is obviously different. Comforting to be in the same room where others no where your coming from. Best of luck with your treatment!
                                        MelanomaMike
                                        Participant
                                          Youde be surprised of the knowledge that floats around MRF, We the patients, the folks that have indured years of different therapies & interactions with multiple oncologists, doctors etc. Year after year of studying our own disease Melanoma, many of us are more diverse in Melanoma then a lot of oncologist! Many MRF patients have brought up good therapy points to their own oncologist from the board here and on many times those therapies was considered & preformed! But i hear what your saying Studio….
                                        ed williams
                                        Participant
                                          Hi Cammy “Jewel” , I was following this post yesterday and a couple of thoughts came into my head this morning which I am going to share with you if that is ok!!! First, there will be a link that follows of checkmate 004 trial and the 4 year survival data. This was the first phase one ipi+ nivo trial that led to checkmate 069 then checkmate 067 phase three trial that I am on. What is interesting is the long term survival with ipi+ nivo is pretty amazing and it seems to be durable which is also important. Now, the thought that came into my mind about being in the woods is side effects and having quick access to knowledgeable treatment since quick intervention is super important in treating IRAE’s (side effects). Both nivo or the combination of ipi+ nivo have risks of side effects (IRAE’s) but the data on ipi+nivo shows that you can pretty much count on having issues that will require intervention. One positive side of these side effects is that those that have to stop seem to do as well as those that get treatment for long periods of time. So you could possible get a couple of treatments and need intervention on side effects and then stop completely and be done with treatments and do great long term. I know that is kind of a crazy view of treatment but the data shows that this is a pretty common outcome with the combination. On the other side if you can get nivo once a month and sail through treatment without major issue you could also have long term success.I really have no idea which is the better approach for Ken, one question I have is what is his LDH levels, if low then again data shows better outcomes and Pd-1 might be the suitable choice where if LDH is high then combination might be the better way to go. Here is the link and best wishes for a great response which ever way you go!!!Ed https://news.bms.com/press-release/corporatefinancial-news/five-year-survival-observed-longest-follow-date-advanced-melan
                                            ed williams
                                            Participant
                                              One more link from ASCO that talks about some of the factors that oncologist’s consider in picking between ipi+nivo vs just monotherapy Pd-1 immunotherapy. https://www.oncologytube.com/video/who-should-get-ipi-nivo-vs-nivo-monotherapy-patients-with-elevated-ldh-braf-mutant-tumors-brain-metastases-benefit-from-combination-therapy/10006419
                                              Bubbles
                                              Participant
                                                The Edster makes great points as ever!! And to highlight his point about response rates, even if you have to stop the ipi/nivo combo part before all doses of the combo are completed, there is this:
                                                https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/08/40-of-melanoma-patients-stop-ipinivo.html

So…again….if you do choose to try the combo, you can always quit if side effects are too difficult AND you may well reap just as much benefit as those who manage all of the combo doses. Wishing you both my best whatever you decide! c

Jewel
                                                Participant
                                                  Again thank you so much Celeste!!
                                                  Jewel
                                                  Participant
                                                    Thank you so much again Ed for taking the time to reply. Kens LDH level has always been between 125(lowest) & 155(highest). Like you pointed out living in the woods is a concern, but part of living in the woods is what makes Ken sane when he’s going thru all this stuff. Our oncologist is on vacation so our follow up appt isn’t until the 27th. Lots too think about until then. Thrilled to hear you’ve done so well on the combo…thanks again Ed!
                                                    ed williams
                                                    Participant
                                                      Hi Jewel, just to be clear, I am on checkmate 067 trial but it has 3 arms or pathways and the one that I was blinded onto was the Nivo monotherapy. I didn’t know for the first 4 years if I had gotten ipi as well since the trial was blinded but they eventually unblinded the study and informed me that I am on the nivo arm and crazy as it sounds still on it and getting treatment every 2 weeks since Jan. of 2014, not sure if I am stubborn or just a little crazy to stay on treatment!!!Ed
                                                      Jewel
                                                      Participant
                                                        Thank you so much for clarifying for us. So happy that you got such a wonderful response from Nivo. Nothing wrong with being stubborn!! 🙂
                                                        Jewel
                                                        Participant
                                                          Ed, may I ask what tumor burden if any you had when you started this trial, and if your Braf + or -. Thanks.
                                                          ed williams
                                                          Participant
                                                            Hi Jewel, Braf negative and I had 3 small brain mets which were zapped by cyberknife in oct. 2013 and completely resolved. I had to wait for follow up brain scan to qualify for trial in late Dec. My lung met was about 3.5 cm when biopsy was done in summer of 2013 and then when trial started in Jan 2014, I had another small lymph node tumor in lung show up at about 18mm. Both lung mets were in areas to close to major arteries to remove so clinical trial was the best option at the time.
                                                      Viewing 7 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics