The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Are there Stats on the most durable treatments for Stage 4?

Forums General Melanoma Community Are there Stats on the most durable treatments for Stage 4?

Participant

Hello all,

I am wondering if there are any stats on the most durable treatment for widespread stage 4 mel. I have read that there are people out there more than 5/10 years who are NED.  Has there been any studies on these individuals and treatements that may be the most durable with prolonged NED?  I know everyone is different with regards to age, disease and other things.

Just can't imaging not being here for my family and will do anything to get to NED! Hate this disease.

Love to you all, keep up the fight!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tim–MRF

Unfortunately know one can predict who will respond to what therapy. The old drug IL-2 had about a 4-5% rate of people being long-term responders. I know people who are 10+ years out and are still NED, after having multiple metastases in multiple organs.

The new immunotherapy drugs are showing similar signs, and perhaps with higher numbers. Yervoy (ipilimumab or "ipi") was the first drug in this category and I know people who are 10+ years out on that drug as well.  The anti-PD1 drugs are too new to have those kinds of long-term survival numbers but many people anticipate that the numbers will be even larger, and combining them with ipi might be better still. It is too soon to tell, though.

Targeted therapy tends to stop working after a year or so, but even here we are seeing some long-term survivors. Some people have even stopped taking drug and are still OK. 

Future research is focusing on three areas: finding new therapies that will do even better, finding drugs that work on the the more rare sub-types of melanoma, and (to your point) finding out who will respond to which drug and why.

The good news is that we now have several drugs in the mix, any of which might be that magic bullet for any given patient.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Unfortunately know one can predict who will respond to what therapy. The old drug IL-2 had about a 4-5% rate of people being long-term responders. I know people who are 10+ years out and are still NED, after having multiple metastases in multiple organs.

The new immunotherapy drugs are showing similar signs, and perhaps with higher numbers. Yervoy (ipilimumab or "ipi") was the first drug in this category and I know people who are 10+ years out on that drug as well.  The anti-PD1 drugs are too new to have those kinds of long-term survival numbers but many people anticipate that the numbers will be even larger, and combining them with ipi might be better still. It is too soon to tell, though.

Targeted therapy tends to stop working after a year or so, but even here we are seeing some long-term survivors. Some people have even stopped taking drug and are still OK. 

Future research is focusing on three areas: finding new therapies that will do even better, finding drugs that work on the the more rare sub-types of melanoma, and (to your point) finding out who will respond to which drug and why.

The good news is that we now have several drugs in the mix, any of which might be that magic bullet for any given patient.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics