The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

are there any combo Braf/Ipi trials out there yet?

Forums General Melanoma Community are there any combo Braf/Ipi trials out there yet?

Participant

Cass is looking for a follow up to plx -I found this comment by Unite in the archives -does anyone know how close these combos are to trial?

Posted by Unite at 05:50 on Fri, Jul 23, 2010    [Show other posts by Unite]

Cass is looking for a follow up to plx -I found this comment by Unite in the archives -does anyone know how close these combos are to trial?

Posted by Unite at 05:50 on Fri, Jul 23, 2010    [Show other posts by Unite]

In Reply to: Re: confused about inhibitors by Tom posted at 06:07 on Thu, Jul 22, 2010

Mek inhibitors have worked in Braf inhibitor delayed failures. Try the MEK or ipi trials next. I think ipi and MEK or BRAf inhibitor combination will ultimately work for many patients

(BMY is developing a BRAF which will probably be tried with ipi or like drug). Ipi and chemo seems to also work for some patients but I am not seeing a lot of trials for this combo.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jim in Denver
        Participant

The short answer is no, but this is one (obvious) approach that will be pursued.  As is the case with a number of trials, the theory is to test one agent that has shown effectiveness and combine it with antother that has either shown effectiveness against melanoma or another cancer or potential effeciveness against melanoma.  In my case, I am in a Trail involving Ipilimumab and Temador.  Dr Keith Flaherty in Boston is among several researchers who is advocating a combined Ipi/BRAF Inhibitor Trial, but there several procedural, regularory, and economic hurdles to overcome.  My best guess is that we will see such a trail after Ipi is approved, and perhaps in the next year or so. 

Jim

Jim in Denver
          Participant

The short answer is no, but this is one (obvious) approach that will be pursued.  As is the case with a number of trials, the theory is to test one agent that has shown effectiveness and combine it with antother that has either shown effectiveness against melanoma or another cancer or potential effeciveness against melanoma.  In my case, I am in a Trail involving Ipilimumab and Temador.  Dr Keith Flaherty in Boston is among several researchers who is advocating a combined Ipi/BRAF Inhibitor Trial, but there several procedural, regularory, and economic hurdles to overcome.  My best guess is that we will see such a trail after Ipi is approved, and perhaps in the next year or so. 

Jim

killmel
            Participant

Hi,

So happy to hear something about Cass. How is she doing??? Last posting if I remeber correctly, she was going to a brain met procedure. Hope it went well?? I thought that Cass did well on PLX 4032, why not just continue it??? Perhaps, she might want to consider IPI??? Has she considered IPI??

We all miss Cass, please let us know how she is doing??

Give her our Best!

killmel
              Participant

Hi,

So happy to hear something about Cass. How is she doing??? Last posting if I remeber correctly, she was going to a brain met procedure. Hope it went well?? I thought that Cass did well on PLX 4032, why not just continue it??? Perhaps, she might want to consider IPI??? Has she considered IPI??

We all miss Cass, please let us know how she is doing??

Give her our Best!

paleskinisin
                Participant

I just found an article that mentions the MRF wanting to do a BRAF/IPI trial: "Dr. Schuchter said that the Melanoma Research Foundation is in the planning stages of a study that combines ipilimumab and PLX4032 in patients with metastatic melanoma." Doesn't mention timing, but seems this is the line of thinking.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/727137.  It is mentioned at the bottom of the article.

Tim–MRF

MRF has established a consortium of top clinical researchers and top pre-clinical researchers for the specific purpose of conducting trials using combinations of drugs that are still in development.  This is the hardest kind of trial to do because of regulatory issues, intellectual property, etc.  Yet is also the most promising approach.  We did this at the request of the research community, because they knew that no one institution could make this happen on its own.

We are currently reviewing seven different combination options–including PLX 4032 (BRAF) and ipi.  We hope to start the first trials either late this year or early next year.  This is a huge undertaking and carries a lot of risk, but we are compelled by the promise this holds for bringing new therapies to the clinical setting more quickly that could be done any other way.

Currently industry negotiates with several institutions to set up trials.  This process of one-by-one negotiation can take up to two years.  In other words, they have the drug, they believe it will work, but they spend two years negotiating agreements before they even begin the trial.

If we can establish a single global agreement that engages several different institutions then industry can negotiate that one agreement and get access to all the sites they need.  This will shorten the process by a year or more.  Of course, developing that agreement will be laborious and involve a lot of lawyers….

Tim–MRF

bcl
                      Participant

Thanks Tim, Cass will need to find something sooner – but I take some hope from the fact that over a year ago she was close to death and plx rolled back the clock. Anything you can do to improve research is very much appreciated. 

killmel
                        Participant

Hi,

Why doesCass not continue with Braf???

How about Cass trying IPI compassionate use???

bcl
                          Participant

The plx may not be keeping her mel in check as well as it did for the past year. Naturally IPI is of great interest -but  it might be too harsh at present.

bcl
                            Participant

The plx may not be keeping her mel in check as well as it did for the past year. Naturally IPI is of great interest -but  it might be too harsh at present.

killmel
                              Participant

Hi,

Why doesCass not continue with Braf???

How about Cass trying IPI compassionate use???

bcl
                                Participant

Thanks Tim, Cass will need to find something sooner – but I take some hope from the fact that over a year ago she was close to death and plx rolled back the clock. Anything you can do to improve research is very much appreciated. 

Jim in Denver
                                  Participant

Keep up the good work Tim!

Jim in Denver
                                    Participant

Keep up the good work Tim!

Tim–MRF

MRF has established a consortium of top clinical researchers and top pre-clinical researchers for the specific purpose of conducting trials using combinations of drugs that are still in development.  This is the hardest kind of trial to do because of regulatory issues, intellectual property, etc.  Yet is also the most promising approach.  We did this at the request of the research community, because they knew that no one institution could make this happen on its own.

We are currently reviewing seven different combination options–including PLX 4032 (BRAF) and ipi.  We hope to start the first trials either late this year or early next year.  This is a huge undertaking and carries a lot of risk, but we are compelled by the promise this holds for bringing new therapies to the clinical setting more quickly that could be done any other way.

Currently industry negotiates with several institutions to set up trials.  This process of one-by-one negotiation can take up to two years.  In other words, they have the drug, they believe it will work, but they spend two years negotiating agreements before they even begin the trial.

If we can establish a single global agreement that engages several different institutions then industry can negotiate that one agreement and get access to all the sites they need.  This will shorten the process by a year or more.  Of course, developing that agreement will be laborious and involve a lot of lawyers….

Tim–MRF

paleskinisin
                                      Participant

I just found an article that mentions the MRF wanting to do a BRAF/IPI trial: "Dr. Schuchter said that the Melanoma Research Foundation is in the planning stages of a study that combines ipilimumab and PLX4032 in patients with metastatic melanoma." Doesn't mention timing, but seems this is the line of thinking.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/727137.  It is mentioned at the bottom of the article.

Jocelyn
                                        Participant

I wonder what the scientific basis is for believing that Braf combos with ipi will work. My understanding is that Braf operates by shutting down a certain process which causes melanoma to keep growing. It seems that, once it ceases to shut that process down, (and this seems to happen), immunotherapy would be futile. It seems like the approach should be to improve the effectiveness of the Braf drugs, or develop more gene therapy.

Tim–MRF

I wondered the same thing, and asked a couple of researchers about this.  Here is what I took from those conversations.

BRAF is a targeted therapy drug and so it affects cells that are actively growing and dividing.  "ipi" is an immunotherapy drug and as such will unmask the hidden tumor cells so the immune system can attack and destroy them. 

Combining them means that the BRAF will knock down the tumor burden quickly and significantly, then ipi will allow the body to mop up any remaning dormant cells.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

I wondered the same thing, and asked a couple of researchers about this.  Here is what I took from those conversations.

BRAF is a targeted therapy drug and so it affects cells that are actively growing and dividing.  "ipi" is an immunotherapy drug and as such will unmask the hidden tumor cells so the immune system can attack and destroy them. 

Combining them means that the BRAF will knock down the tumor burden quickly and significantly, then ipi will allow the body to mop up any remaning dormant cells.

Tim–MRF

Jocelyn
                                              Participant

I wonder what the scientific basis is for believing that Braf combos with ipi will work. My understanding is that Braf operates by shutting down a certain process which causes melanoma to keep growing. It seems that, once it ceases to shut that process down, (and this seems to happen), immunotherapy would be futile. It seems like the approach should be to improve the effectiveness of the Braf drugs, or develop more gene therapy.

bcl
                                                  Participant

Thanks for the info and links everyone, very much appreciated. linda

bcl
                                                    Participant

Thanks for the info and links everyone, very much appreciated. linda

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics