The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Are scans + biopsy necessary early stage

Forums General Melanoma Community Are scans + biopsy necessary early stage

Participant

Hello all,

As you know I am struggling with recently being diagnosed with Stage 1a, breslow of .58mm, no ulceration and a 1<mitric.  I am awaiting a date for the WLE to be performed.

Should I request a SLNB and a MRI scan after the biopsy to give me piece of mind that I have checked all I can.

I am really scared at the moment, and we all look for answers to comfort ourseleves. 

Thank you

Mandy

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

Hi Mandy, there are some pretty established norms for thin melanoma's as far as next steps. The data for the staging is solid and based on thousands of patients which the oncology community used to developed standards. If you want to do something that is outside of the standards then you will face two issues, an insurance company that won't approve procedures even if you could convince an oncologist to order them. Stage 1a has a 99% survial at 5 years and 98% survival at 10 years based on the last staging document published last year. So, a question to ask yourself is should you do surgery with the risk of lymphadema and nerve damage to look for something that only will happen in around 1% of the population. A good idea would be to seek a cancer experts(psychologist) for some council to help you process your 1a diagnosis. Best Wishes!!!Ed 

MLD1973
            Participant

Thank you Ed, just needed that pep talk.  It feels very surreal and on reading other experiences which vary greatly it can be a little daunting which way to turn. M x

Linny
            Participant

Look at it this way: you have, at minimum, a 98% chance of never having to deal with melanoma again. Any time you feel a pang of fear, all you need to do is remind yourself of that. It should help with the anxiety. 🙂

MLD1973
                Participant

Thank you Linny x

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics