The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Appointment with oncologist today

Forums General Melanoma Community Appointment with oncologist today

Participant

I met with my oncolologist today which is the one week after first Yervoy infusion point. I was so happy to say that I had very minimal side effects and he basically said, "hold on, Bucko". He reminded me that it takes at least a week for the Yervoy to ramp up the immune system responses and THEN the side effects would happen. Oh, shoot.

I met with my oncolologist today which is the one week after first Yervoy infusion point. I was so happy to say that I had very minimal side effects and he basically said, "hold on, Bucko". He reminded me that it takes at least a week for the Yervoy to ramp up the immune system responses and THEN the side effects would happen. Oh, shoot.

He did say that the side effects still could be light. He also said that he talked to a doctor at Bristol Meyer Squibb who said that imodium-d is the first line medicine in response to diahrrea. If after 8 doses of imodium the diahrrea does not go away, then endocort would be prescribed immediately to avert colitis.

Next appointment is 2nd infusion on the 17th!

Cristy, Stage IV

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        momof2kids
        Participant

I hope all continues to go well. I haven't had any side effects yet, hoping I still don't, except the ones that may tell me that it's possibly working?.   I go for my 3rd Yervoy on the 14th this month.  

Lisa13
            Participant

I hope you are a responder to ipi and that you manage side effects well going forward.

I'm due for my 4th infusion next week and other than itchy skin and the occasional stomach cramp, I havn't experienced any symptoms.  My Dr. said that symptoms do not necessarily indicate that ipi is working and that people in his clinical trial are responding with no symptoms.  

Make sure to get copies of your bloodwork and keep an eye on your absolute lymphocyte count. They should continue to go up which may indicate a clinical response.

Lisa13
              Participant

I hope you are a responder to ipi and that you manage side effects well going forward.

I'm due for my 4th infusion next week and other than itchy skin and the occasional stomach cramp, I havn't experienced any symptoms.  My Dr. said that symptoms do not necessarily indicate that ipi is working and that people in his clinical trial are responding with no symptoms.  

Make sure to get copies of your bloodwork and keep an eye on your absolute lymphocyte count. They should continue to go up which may indicate a clinical response.

Lisa13
                Participant

mombase
                  Participant

I have heard from many people that their docs say that side effects do not have to occur for the ipi to be working. AMEN!!

mombase
                    Participant

I have heard from many people that their docs say that side effects do not have to occur for the ipi to be working. AMEN!!

mombase
                      Participant

momof2kids
                      Participant

I hope all continues to go well. I haven't had any side effects yet, hoping I still don't, except the ones that may tell me that it's possibly working?.   I go for my 3rd Yervoy on the 14th this month.  

momof2kids
                        Participant

jax2007gxp
                          Participant

Positive thinking Christy!  yes

Jacki

jax2007gxp
                            Participant

Jacki

jax2007gxp
                              Participant

Jacki

NYKaren
                                  Participant

Hi  Christy.  It's good to hear that the doctor told you just 8 doses of Immodium.  Dr. Wolchuk says 2 or 3, it's just good that doctors know to tell people not to live on immodium throughout their treatment!

karen

mombase
                                    Participant

I totally agree. It is a little worrisome that there is such a disparity in dosing information, though!

NYKaren
                                      Participant

I agree completely.

NYKaren
                                        Participant

I agree completely.

NYKaren
                                          Participant

I agree completely.

mombase
                                            Participant

I totally agree. It is a little worrisome that there is such a disparity in dosing information, though!

mombase
                                              Participant

NYKaren
                                                Participant

Hi  Christy.  It's good to hear that the doctor told you just 8 doses of Immodium.  Dr. Wolchuk says 2 or 3, it's just good that doctors know to tell people not to live on immodium throughout their treatment!

karen

NYKaren
                                                  Participant

karen

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics