The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone treated w/ ablation and where

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone treated w/ ablation and where

Participant

Hi, we are seeing our onc onMonday and wanted to discuss abalation for multiple liver mets (largest is 1.3 cm).  Not sure where this is done and if any of you have had experience with it. 

Please share. 

Lungs mets as well so we will need to look at something else ie ipi.

Thank-you for your input.

Terra

Hi, we are seeing our onc onMonday and wanted to discuss abalation for multiple liver mets (largest is 1.3 cm).  Not sure where this is done and if any of you have had experience with it. 

Please share. 

Lungs mets as well so we will need to look at something else ie ipi.

Thank-you for your input.

Terra

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Frannie55
        Participant

Almost a year ago I had ablation for 3 mets in my liver. The radiologist (wonderful Dr. Fedeson in Grand Rapids, Michigan) also found one on his way in that wasn't on the scan. I have been NED since then. The procedure was done at Spectrum Hospital in Grand Rapids. The recovery was a little more painful than I had expected, but nothing that I couldn't handle. I recommend the procedure.

Good luck to you.

Terra
            Participant

Thank-you for your response.

Terra
              Participant

Thank-you for your response.

Frannie55
              Participant

Almost a year ago I had ablation for 3 mets in my liver. The radiologist (wonderful Dr. Fedeson in Grand Rapids, Michigan) also found one on his way in that wasn't on the scan. I have been NED since then. The procedure was done at Spectrum Hospital in Grand Rapids. The recovery was a little more painful than I had expected, but nothing that I couldn't handle. I recommend the procedure.

Good luck to you.

stillhopeful
                Participant

In NYC, it is done at Columbia Presbyterian and Memorial Sloan Kettering.  A friend of mine had the procedure done at Columbia presbyterian.  I don't know if his recovery was painful.

stillhopeful
                  Participant

In NYC, it is done at Columbia Presbyterian and Memorial Sloan Kettering.  A friend of mine had the procedure done at Columbia presbyterian.  I don't know if his recovery was painful.

lhaley
                    Participant

Terra,

I was talking to a neighbor last night and she told me that her niece just finished liver abalation for a different cancer (I don't know what type) at the Cancer Center of America in Pa near Philadelphia.  I really don't know if they would do it for mel but thought it was worth mentioning it.

What did the Dr. offer on Monday?

Linda

Terra
                        Participant

Hi, thanks for mentioning that – he is suggesting starting Derek on the P13K and MEK combo trial at PMH, it is for the 20 % of mel patients that have the NRAS mutation, that is further ahead on the path then BRAF.  He thinks derek will respond to it quickly and get thngs under control vs trying ipi and waiting the 3 months or so before it starts, we will look at i[i down theroad alittle.  I am going to check around in the US at thehospitals mentioned to see if they do abalaion for mel (not in Canada) and at least have that as an option.

Thank- you

Terra
                          Participant

Hi, thanks for mentioning that – he is suggesting starting Derek on the P13K and MEK combo trial at PMH, it is for the 20 % of mel patients that have the NRAS mutation, that is further ahead on the path then BRAF.  He thinks derek will respond to it quickly and get thngs under control vs trying ipi and waiting the 3 months or so before it starts, we will look at i[i down theroad alittle.  I am going to check around in the US at thehospitals mentioned to see if they do abalaion for mel (not in Canada) and at least have that as an option.

Thank- you

lhaley
                          Participant

Terra,

I was talking to a neighbor last night and she told me that her niece just finished liver abalation for a different cancer (I don't know what type) at the Cancer Center of America in Pa near Philadelphia.  I really don't know if they would do it for mel but thought it was worth mentioning it.

What did the Dr. offer on Monday?

Linda

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics