The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone still going on Zelboraf/Vemurafenib??

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone still going on Zelboraf/Vemurafenib??

Participant

Hi I think Im starting to sound like a broken record, but I just want to hear how everyone's going on Zelboraf? I know Dick is a special long responder but are there any others out there? If you are on this drug what are you're plans when it stops working?

Thanks 

Nahmi

Hi I think Im starting to sound like a broken record, but I just want to hear how everyone's going on Zelboraf? I know Dick is a special long responder but are there any others out there? If you are on this drug what are you're plans when it stops working?

Thanks 

Nahmi

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Richard_K
        Participant
          Had scans yesterday; results tomorrow. Fingers are crossed that I will be going on 21 months.
          Dick
            deardad
            Participant

How did your scan results go Dick? Hope you are still doing well.

Nahmi 

Richard_K
              Participant
                Nahmi
                Today is Thanksgiving in the US and I have a birthday in a couple of days. I now have one more thing to be thankful for and I received an early birthday gift – good scans. The two lung tumors remain stable and a smaller nodule has disappeared. I’ll be going into my 21st month on Zelboraf next week.
                Dick
                deardad
                Participant

Thats wonderful news! There is certainly something special about you. I don't celebrate birthdays but enjoy that day and all the days you have ahead.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                  Participant

Thats wonderful news! There is certainly something special about you. I don't celebrate birthdays but enjoy that day and all the days you have ahead.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                    Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

Richard_K
                      Participant
                        Nahmi
                        Today is Thanksgiving in the US and I have a birthday in a couple of days. I now have one more thing to be thankful for and I received an early birthday gift – good scans. The two lung tumors remain stable and a smaller nodule has disappeared. I’ll be going into my 21st month on Zelboraf next week.
                        Dick
                        Richard_K
                        Participant
                          Nahmi
                          Dick
                          deardad
                          Participant

Nahmi 

deardad
                            Participant

Nahmi 

Richard_K
                            Participant
                              Had scans yesterday; results tomorrow. Fingers are crossed that I will be going on 21 months.
                              Dick
                              Richard_K
                              Participant
                                Dick
                                davidfromsingapore
                                Participant

Nahmi.  I too am interested in the replies that you get.  I start Zelboraf in the next week.  I am stage 4 with brain mets.  No fun.  Good luck to you, and Dick  – thanks for your reply.  

davidfromsingapore
                                  Participant

Nahmi.  I too am interested in the replies that you get.  I start Zelboraf in the next week.  I am stage 4 with brain mets.  No fun.  Good luck to you, and Dick  – thanks for your reply.  

davidfromsingapore
                                    Participant

Lisa – Aust
                                      Participant

Hi Nahmi,

My partner Craig has been on the BRAF trial since Jan of this year and scans 2 weeks ago continue to show improvement. He had a spot in one of his ribs and a small spot in his abdomen – they werent sure if it was a lymph node or just in some tissue, which both showed up in Dec of last year on PET scan. He had been NED for about 3 years since his initial stage 3 dx in Aug 2007. He had 5 days of radiation on the rib prior to starting the BRAF trial toward the end of last year. Latest scans cant detect the spot in his abdomen, and the rib spot seems pretty much dead, with the healing process continuing around the tumor tissue. The way I understand it is that the radio/braf has shrunk the rib tumor and he ended up with a 'pathological fracture' which takes a while to heal, so something still shows up on the scan.

We have been extremely lucky that he continues to have good response and just keep our fingers crossed at each scan. He also juices carrots and apples each day and has cut red meat from his diet. We monitor his vit D levels, and generally try to live as healthily as possible. I guess the next plan for him if/when the braf stops might be another trial – a friend of ours who recently had progression on Braf has started on the E7080 (sp) trial here in Perth, she also had the options of ipi and dcarbazine. So I imagine Craigs next options will be similar. I know there is a lady Tina whose hubby has been on it for a couple of years last I heard, and Prof Millward here has said there are a few ppl at the 3 and 4 year mark who are still responding.

All the best with everything – let me know if you have any more q's re side effects or anything ๐Ÿ™‚

Lisa

deardad
                                          Participant

Hi Lisa,

That's great news for your partner Craig and yes my mum bought a cold pressing machine and juices everyday for dad.

It is so encouraging to hear those good results and I thank you for posting that information, it really gives me hope.

Take care and hope Craig continues to do well.  My dad has a lot more organ involvement than the those who are doing well on this drug, but I don't know if that means anything either. Its a weird world of living from scan to scan and I feel for everyone going through this. We will not give up the fight and we will try whatever we can to get more quality time on this earth.

You are all so wonderful and I can't express how grateful I am that you share you personal experiences with me. 

I will let you know how my dad is doing.

Love to all

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                            Participant

Hi Lisa,

That's great news for your partner Craig and yes my mum bought a cold pressing machine and juices everyday for dad.

It is so encouraging to hear those good results and I thank you for posting that information, it really gives me hope.

Take care and hope Craig continues to do well.  My dad has a lot more organ involvement than the those who are doing well on this drug, but I don't know if that means anything either. Its a weird world of living from scan to scan and I feel for everyone going through this. We will not give up the fight and we will try whatever we can to get more quality time on this earth.

You are all so wonderful and I can't express how grateful I am that you share you personal experiences with me. 

Love to all

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                              Participant

Hi Lisa,

Love to all

Nahmi from Melbourne

Lisa – Aust
                                              Participant

Hi Nahmi,

My partner Craig has been on the BRAF trial since Jan of this year and scans 2 weeks ago continue to show improvement. He had a spot in one of his ribs and a small spot in his abdomen – they werent sure if it was a lymph node or just in some tissue, which both showed up in Dec of last year on PET scan. He had been NED for about 3 years since his initial stage 3 dx in Aug 2007. He had 5 days of radiation on the rib prior to starting the BRAF trial toward the end of last year. Latest scans cant detect the spot in his abdomen, and the rib spot seems pretty much dead, with the healing process continuing around the tumor tissue. The way I understand it is that the radio/braf has shrunk the rib tumor and he ended up with a 'pathological fracture' which takes a while to heal, so something still shows up on the scan.

We have been extremely lucky that he continues to have good response and just keep our fingers crossed at each scan. He also juices carrots and apples each day and has cut red meat from his diet. We monitor his vit D levels, and generally try to live as healthily as possible. I guess the next plan for him if/when the braf stops might be another trial – a friend of ours who recently had progression on Braf has started on the E7080 (sp) trial here in Perth, she also had the options of ipi and dcarbazine. So I imagine Craigs next options will be similar. I know there is a lady Tina whose hubby has been on it for a couple of years last I heard, and Prof Millward here has said there are a few ppl at the 3 and 4 year mark who are still responding.

All the best with everything – let me know if you have any more q's re side effects or anything ๐Ÿ™‚

Lisa

Lisa – Aust
                                                Participant

Hi Nahmi,

Lisa

Tina D
                                                  Participant

I am also interested in knowing how everyone is doing. I am brand new to the Zelboraf treatment. Took it for 1 week, then had to be off for 2 weeks due to severe rash. Started back on at reduced dosage ( 3 in am, 3 in pm). Having some prickling sensation, and occasionally taking atarax for it, but nothing significant so far. Extreme photosensitiviy — as in: no longer than 2-3 minutes causing burns! I cover with sunscreen, clothing, hat and parasol when going out during sunlight hours. I appreciate the time people are taking to post on these threads, and am trying to learn how to folow them! Thanking God that so far I am doing well on the reduced dosage.

Tina D
                                                    Participant

I am also interested in knowing how everyone is doing. I am brand new to the Zelboraf treatment. Took it for 1 week, then had to be off for 2 weeks due to severe rash. Started back on at reduced dosage ( 3 in am, 3 in pm). Having some prickling sensation, and occasionally taking atarax for it, but nothing significant so far. Extreme photosensitiviy — as in: no longer than 2-3 minutes causing burns! I cover with sunscreen, clothing, hat and parasol when going out during sunlight hours. I appreciate the time people are taking to post on these threads, and am trying to learn how to folow them! Thanking God that so far I am doing well on the reduced dosage.

Tina D
                                                      Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics