The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone out there on the Oncovex trial?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone out there on the Oncovex trial?

Participant

I had my second Oncovex injection a week and a half ago.  Now experiencing hair loss.  Anyone know anything about this?  It's not listed as a side effect, but then, it's a trial drug, so who knows.  Thanks for any and all feedback (including sympathy – 2nd go-around for hair loss 🙂

I had my second Oncovex injection a week and a half ago.  Now experiencing hair loss.  Anyone know anything about this?  It's not listed as a side effect, but then, it's a trial drug, so who knows.  Thanks for any and all feedback (including sympathy – 2nd go-around for hair loss 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

I believe Sharyn was on the ONCOVEX/GM-CSF trial at one point. I believe June/July 2009, and that she was randomised to the GM-CSF arm? Sadly, she is no longer with us.

I did some searches and could not find hair loss listed as a side effect either.

Good luck,

Michael

Janis B.
            Participant

It is always heartbreaking to remember those from this board who did not survive.  I do remember Sharyn, and I wrote down her last post because of the courage and even joy that she showed as she went to hospice (I believe this is the Sharyn you're refering to).

Anyway, I thank you for researching and responding.  Hair loss is minor next to all else we face, but it's just something I wanted to check out.

Good luck to all of us, whether we're sweating out a clinical trial, intolerable treatment, or the ever-present watching and waiting!!

Janis B.
              Participant

It is always heartbreaking to remember those from this board who did not survive.  I do remember Sharyn, and I wrote down her last post because of the courage and even joy that she showed as she went to hospice (I believe this is the Sharyn you're refering to).

Anyway, I thank you for researching and responding.  Hair loss is minor next to all else we face, but it's just something I wanted to check out.

Good luck to all of us, whether we're sweating out a clinical trial, intolerable treatment, or the ever-present watching and waiting!!

MichaelFL
              Participant

I believe Sharyn was on the ONCOVEX/GM-CSF trial at one point. I believe June/July 2009, and that she was randomised to the GM-CSF arm? Sadly, she is no longer with us.

I did some searches and could not find hair loss listed as a side effect either.

Good luck,

Michael

nicoli
                Participant

Sorry Janis, no sympathy from me !!

I now have PERMANENT hair loss from radiation to my scalp. Whole head bald except for a "monk's band" around my ears and back of head. 

One good thing: now when I tell people that I am permanently bald, they seem to realize that this skin cancer is actually serious. Before they just didn't get it.

If I had a nice head, I might consider just putting on makeup and earrings and just going around bald. But with surgery scars, that is too scary for most people to handle so I have to go the wig/scarf route.

Nicki, Stage 3b

Janis B.
                    Participant

Nikki, that is a tough situation to deal with and I thank you so much for writing and sharing. And I know exactly what you mean – no one seems to understand the depth and breadth of our illness, until it's visible.  We are not usually on chemo or radiation, we generally don't lose our hair, and we often look fairly healthy until … well, we aren't.  I've never been a whiner or a complainer. but I love to be able to share my feelings here and to give support where I can.  So, here's to you – to your strength and your courage to get up and suit up and put on your scarf and write on this board!!

Janis

IIIC, Cycle 2, Oncovex Trial

Janis B.
                      Participant

Nikki, that is a tough situation to deal with and I thank you so much for writing and sharing. And I know exactly what you mean – no one seems to understand the depth and breadth of our illness, until it's visible.  We are not usually on chemo or radiation, we generally don't lose our hair, and we often look fairly healthy until … well, we aren't.  I've never been a whiner or a complainer. but I love to be able to share my feelings here and to give support where I can.  So, here's to you – to your strength and your courage to get up and suit up and put on your scarf and write on this board!!

Janis

IIIC, Cycle 2, Oncovex Trial

nicoli
                      Participant

Sorry Janis, no sympathy from me !!

I now have PERMANENT hair loss from radiation to my scalp. Whole head bald except for a "monk's band" around my ears and back of head. 

One good thing: now when I tell people that I am permanently bald, they seem to realize that this skin cancer is actually serious. Before they just didn't get it.

If I had a nice head, I might consider just putting on makeup and earrings and just going around bald. But with surgery scars, that is too scary for most people to handle so I have to go the wig/scarf route.

Nicki, Stage 3b

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics