The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone on Braf/MEK inhibitors also on Herceptin?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone on Braf/MEK inhibitors also on Herceptin?

Participant

I am a seven year stage 4 survivor on /Vemurafenib/cobimetinib combo as part of the Phase 1 trial. Have been NED for the past 18 months or so, have had a wonderful response to the Braf/MEK combo.

Have lived long enough to have developed breast cancer! Looks like it is HER2+ so treatment will consist of targeted therapy, probably Herceptin.  

Anyone out there on a Braf/MEK combo being treated for a second cancer with targeted therapy? My oncologist hasn't heard of anyone in my position but believes it can be done without drug interactions since the targets are so different!

This turn of events has totally thrown me into a tailspin! I feel like I have battle fatigue, can't  quite believe I need to be a breast cancer warrior as well as a melanoma warrior! 

Eileen L

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

I'm sorry about this new development, Eileen.  Take a couple days to adjust and then come out swinging.  I've had both breast cancer and melanoma but it was about 10 years ago – as you know the treatments for both have improved immensely.

My suggestion would be to find a good breast cancer onc and see what he/she knows. Breast cancer research has more funding and there might be some new stuff coming out from that directiion.

I'm sorry I can't answer your specific question but I hope someone else can.

fen

Eileen L
            Participant

Thanks for your good wishes. I am fortunate in that I am at University of California San Francisco,which has both a Melanoma Center and a Breast Care Center!

Eileen

Eileen L
              Participant

Thanks for your good wishes. I am fortunate in that I am at University of California San Francisco,which has both a Melanoma Center and a Breast Care Center!

Eileen

Eileen L
                Participant

Eileen

Fen
                Participant

I'm sorry about this new development, Eileen.  Take a couple days to adjust and then come out swinging.  I've had both breast cancer and melanoma but it was about 10 years ago – as you know the treatments for both have improved immensely.

My suggestion would be to find a good breast cancer onc and see what he/she knows. Breast cancer research has more funding and there might be some new stuff coming out from that directiion.

fen

Fen
                  Participant

fen

Tim–MRF

Eileen:

I am sorry you are going through a second cancer–doesn't seem fair.

This is an intriguing question. I will raise this with the companies that make BRAF and MEK to see if they know of any other circumstances like this.

Tim–MRF

Eileen L
                        Participant

Thanks Tim. I appreciate your inquiries on my behalf!

Eileen

Eileen L
                          Participant

Eileen

Eileen L
                            Participant

Eileen

Tim–MRF

Eileen:

This is an intriguing question. I will raise this with the companies that make BRAF and MEK to see if they know of any other circumstances like this.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Eileen:

Tim–MRF

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics