The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone have an occasional glass of wine while on treatment?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone have an occasional glass of wine while on treatment?

Participant
      Hi All,

I have not had any alcohol since starting immunotherapy in May, but am going to dinner tonight with my husband to celebrate our anniversary and am considering having one glass of red wine. My oncologist said a glass of wine is okay but for some reason I’m still hesitant to drink it. Anyone have an occasional glass of wine while on treatment?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        soonerjenn14
        Participant
          I also asked my oncologist about this – he told me the same, alcohol in moderation. I personally have had a glass (or two) of wine while on immunotherapy and had no issues. Drink a lot of water before and after. Others may say different but I say a special occasion deserves some enjoyment! Quality of life…we have to live for our special moments while battling this disease! Of course, we all respond differently so take my experience as you wish and do what you think is best.

Whatever you choose, happy anniversary to you and your husband!

All the best,

Jenn

KAF
            Participant
              Heck yeah. I have a drink once or twice a week.  I have had over 2 years of treatment and I wouldn’t have made it through if I couldn’t go out with friends and have some drinks.  I don’t get drunk and it hasn’t affects my labs. Enjoy life even when fighting this damn disease
            Mark_DC
            Participant
              Dear Christina

I had to stop drinking red wine (alcohol) because my ALT and AST numbers (liver) shot up while on immunotherapy. I dont think the alcohol was the cause, but I was told to stop / not to take chances. Also no tylenol.

After stopping treatment and w prednisone, my ALT/AST fell back to normal. Then restarting treatment ALT/AST stayed low. So at some point I started drinking again (maybe teetotal for one year). And now I try to drink one glass of wine each evening. If it’s possible then I would do it, it helps me sleep and it’s kind of a reward.

If I was on ipi as well then maybe i would be more cautious (I failed ipi w bad liver numbers and side effects) – I dont think i would drink while on ipi

good luck

Mark

Mark_DC
              Participant
                Sorry misposted
                Christinad
                Participant
                  Thank you both for your responses. I did have one glass of wine (just one) and it was nice. I made sure to get my labs drawn this morning to prepare for my upcoming infusion Saturday and liver function was normal which helped make my decision to go ahead and indulge for this special occasion and it was wonderful.
                  JudiAU
                  Participant
                    Same here. Light drinking is fine. Stable numbers here.
                    gopher38
                    Participant
                      I’ve been drinking a glass of whiskey and rarely more in the evening, for probably 20 years, and I’ve continued throughout my treatments (nivo, combo, targeted).   Only time I stopped was when I had some liver problems.  I figure you’ve got to live your life, as much as possible.
                  Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics