The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone good at reading BRAF reports?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone good at reading BRAF reports?

Participant
      Hello! I just got a notice that my BRAF testing results are in and was able to read through the 7-page report, but not able to understand it well. I have a call into the doc to see if he can explain, but he’s not in the office until Wednesday. Is anyone here particularly ok with reading these kind of results? I’m so curious if I’m BRAF + or -. My initial reading makes me thing it’s negative, but I don’t know! If you don’t mind taking a look, email me at [email protected] and I’ll forward it to you! (Jennn has 3 n’s in that email). Thank you!
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          Hi Jennifer, if it says that you are Braf “wild type” any where then you are considered negative or not having the Braf V600 mutation so Immunotherapy would be the path to follow. Now, there are several categories of the Braf V600 mutation with different letter for example the most common type of mutation being V600E. If you are postive it will give the specific mutation and letter that tells your oncologist if you would are able to use targeted therapy drugs that target the Braf + Mek pathway of the map kinase pathway. Best wishes!!! Ed
            jennifer83
            Participant
              Thank you, Ed. It does have a section under Molecular Diagnostics that says: Additional explanations for the DNA and protein changes seen in the current specimen are shown in the following tables:

Explanation of DNA variant/mutation types seen in this specimen:
              DNA Changes
              SNV
              A single nucleotide difference (point mutation) has been identified in the patient sample relative to the reference wild-type gene sequence.

Explanation of protein variant/mutation types seen in this specimen:
              Protein Change
              Missense
              A single amino acid reside change in the patient sample relative to the reference wild-type protein sequence.

So I assume I’m wild-type?

Thank you for your help!

MelMel
              Participant
                You have a single amino acid change relative to the wild type (which has none) thus by my account you are BRAF+ which means that you have both immunotherapy as well as targeted therapy available to you as possible options in your melanoma fight.
                Melanie
              Bubbles
              Participant
                I’m not really sure what to make of that portion of your report, Jenn. There article is interesting: https://www.targetedonc.com/publications/special-reports/2014/melanoma-skincancers-issue2/mutation-tests-in-melanoma-crucial-for-treatment

It notes: “The predominant mutation associated with melanoma, reported in about 50% of cases, occurs at position 600 in BRAF, a protein that is part of the mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase signal transduction pathway. Approximately 80% to 90% of these BRAF mutations are known as V600E, a T>A switch that results in an amino acid change of valine to glutamic acid at position 600, within the activation portion of the BRAF kinase domain. Another 5% to 10% of mutations at the same position are known as V600K, which results in a lysine substituted for valine at the same position.2,3

About 15% to 25% of melanomas display mutations in NRAS, a signaling molecule upstream of BRAF in the MAPK pathway,4while approximately 15% of melanomas show a mutation in KIT, a cell surface receptor involved in the same signaling pathway.5”

The article goes on to talk about the BRAF mutations V600E and K like Ed described and adds this…. “melanoma mutation detection panel … includes not only BRAF at position 600, but also NRAS, detecting mutations at codons 12 and 13 (exon 2), codons 59 and 61 (exon 3), and codons 117 and 146 (exon 4) of the NRAS proto-oncogene.14 The assay, based on real-time PCR, also tests for a mutation of c-KIT, a protein that acts upstream of NRAS in the MAPK pathway, at codon 816 (exon 17) in the c-KIT proto-oncogene…”

So since your report notes that there is “A single amino acid reside change in the patient sample relative to the reference wild-type protein sequence.” – I think it matters where that change is in the sequence in order to determine type. But, that’s just my take.

I’m sure your doc can clarify all of this on Wednesday, though I know when you are waiting for answers it can be nutters. Yours, celeste

ed williams
                Participant
                  Hi Jennifer, here are two links for you if interested (video’s) explaining the tests that are preformed on tumors to see if it is Braf + or mutated and second video by Dr. Weber explains Braf mutation is great detail, second video is from a couple of years ago so missing some of the new drugs that have been approved “Columbus trial” for Braf mutations.https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=219&v=0QNX0dJ8wbs&feature=emb_logo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBcRHFGTyGs
                  gopher38
                  Participant
                    All this BRAF talk makes me wish I had asked for a copy of the report. The doctor just told me BRAF positive, but I know nothing beyond that.
                      jennifer83
                      Participant
                        I believe being BRAF+ is a good thing – it means you’re eligible for targeted therapy! I got confirmation from my doc that I’m BRAF- via MyChart. I have a call into him to see if this changes anything as far as prognosis or what direction we go in with treatment. I believe we’ll just keep trucking on with ipi/nivo treatment. Getting my second one this Saturday.
                  Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics