The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone doing well with liver, spleen mets?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone doing well with liver, spleen mets?

Participant

Hi everyone just wondering what has worked for liver and spleen mets? Blood work all ok so the tumor burden is low, but he (my dad) just had a craniotomy for a single brain met. Anyone doing well and was in the same boat?

Hi everyone just wondering what has worked for liver and spleen mets? Blood work all ok so the tumor burden is low, but he (my dad) just had a craniotomy for a single brain met. Anyone doing well and was in the same boat?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

As your dad is going to be starting treatment with a BRAF inhibitor soon, I feel that he has good prospects. However, there is nothing that we have at the moment that is guaranteed to work.

The current approach to keeping melanoma at bay is to try one treatment and then see how one responds to it. A big problem is that drugs will eventually become less effective as time goes by; meaning that the duration of response is limited in many cases. If one stops responding to the treatment, then hopefully there will be a different and/or newer drug available that one can try.

Unfortunately, medical science is unable to predict how well someone will do with any melanoma therapy because there some important things that remain unexplained.

To answer your original question, I am not sure who is doing well at the moment. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell you how they are.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

As your dad is going to be starting treatment with a BRAF inhibitor soon, I feel that he has good prospects. However, there is nothing that we have at the moment that is guaranteed to work.

The current approach to keeping melanoma at bay is to try one treatment and then see how one responds to it. A big problem is that drugs will eventually become less effective as time goes by; meaning that the duration of response is limited in many cases. If one stops responding to the treatment, then hopefully there will be a different and/or newer drug available that one can try.

Unfortunately, medical science is unable to predict how well someone will do with any melanoma therapy because there some important things that remain unexplained.

To answer your original question, I am not sure who is doing well at the moment. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell you how they are.

Take care

Frank from Australia

WalterA
            Participant

A scan earlier this year found melanoma in my liver. I had RFA — radiofrequency ablation — treatment, and two follow-up scans have found nothing but scar tissue.

WalterA
              Participant

A scan earlier this year found melanoma in my liver. I had RFA — radiofrequency ablation — treatment, and two follow-up scans have found nothing but scar tissue.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics