The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone doing/had Interferon?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone doing/had Interferon?

Participant
      I’ll be doing the interferon treatment for a year and was curious if anyone here has done it or doing it and how it was/is for them and the side effects?
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Ginger8888
        Participant

I did interferon about a month ago with very little side effects..Other than fatigue, the only side effect i had was with the first infusion and that was chills and fever..Unfortunately it didn't work for me and i will start Yervoy in a week or so..I have heard a lot of good things about Interferon but i guess it just wasn't for me..Good luck! Drink lot's and lot;s of water, V-8 juice and i also drank nutritional drinks…

Ginger8888
          Participant

I did interferon about a month ago with very little side effects..Other than fatigue, the only side effect i had was with the first infusion and that was chills and fever..Unfortunately it didn't work for me and i will start Yervoy in a week or so..I have heard a lot of good things about Interferon but i guess it just wasn't for me..Good luck! Drink lot's and lot;s of water, V-8 juice and i also drank nutritional drinks…

Ginger8888
            Participant

Gene_S
              Participant

If you put in the search box Interferon you will see many posts on it.

Remember if you use the V8 like the previous poster said it is full of sodium.

Becky
                  Participant

Brittany

My son was around your age (21) when he did a year of interferon. The first month was hard, but after that, he was able to go to college full time and timed his 3 x a week injections according to his schedule. Mostly for him it was fatigue..i made him drink Ensure to keep his weight up since he was thin to begin with and sometimes there was some nausea.

I think youth is on your side, but everyone reacts differenty. He is now almost 4 years from the end of his interfeon year with no lasting side effects and so far NED..so for him, no regrets!

Wishing you the best

Becky

Becky
                    Participant

Brittany

My son was around your age (21) when he did a year of interferon. The first month was hard, but after that, he was able to go to college full time and timed his 3 x a week injections according to his schedule. Mostly for him it was fatigue..i made him drink Ensure to keep his weight up since he was thin to begin with and sometimes there was some nausea.

I think youth is on your side, but everyone reacts differenty. He is now almost 4 years from the end of his interfeon year with no lasting side effects and so far NED..so for him, no regrets!

Wishing you the best

Becky

Becky
                      Participant

Brittany

Wishing you the best

Becky

Ginger8888
                        Participant

I bought those little can's of V-8  juice to drink so i would get my vegetable intake for the day and my blood pressure is normally a little low but during the treatment it went down even more so they recommended i drink or eat stuff with sodium so i got two birds with one stone with the V-8..Ask you dr before you do anything, they will run blood test to check your levels before you start..

Ginger8888
                          Participant

I bought those little can's of V-8  juice to drink so i would get my vegetable intake for the day and my blood pressure is normally a little low but during the treatment it went down even more so they recommended i drink or eat stuff with sodium so i got two birds with one stone with the V-8..Ask you dr before you do anything, they will run blood test to check your levels before you start..

Ginger8888
                            Participant

Gene_S
                            Participant

Gene_S
                              Participant

ed williams
                                Participant

I was on it for a month, the high dose phase. It kicked the crap out of me, I lost 20 pounds in 4 weeks. I could not drive, had no energy, so as a family we decided to stop after the high dose phase. The choice in June of 2012 for me was do nothing and hope the melanoma had not spread past my lymph nodes or take Interferon. One year later the Melanoma showed up again in my lung and brain. I was able to get into a drug trial with Bristol Myer Squibb ( PD-1 or Impilumab or both). Doing great today with scans showing my two lung Mets. are not growing. If i could change the past, I would say no to the interferon. Talk to the nurses in the Chemo ward, they see what it does to a regular basis. 

ed williams
                                  Participant

I was on it for a month, the high dose phase. It kicked the crap out of me, I lost 20 pounds in 4 weeks. I could not drive, had no energy, so as a family we decided to stop after the high dose phase. The choice in June of 2012 for me was do nothing and hope the melanoma had not spread past my lymph nodes or take Interferon. One year later the Melanoma showed up again in my lung and brain. I was able to get into a drug trial with Bristol Myer Squibb ( PD-1 or Impilumab or both). Doing great today with scans showing my two lung Mets. are not growing. If i could change the past, I would say no to the interferon. Talk to the nurses in the Chemo ward, they see what it does to a regular basis. 

ed williams
                                    Participant

michaelinsocal
                                      Participant

Hi Brittany.

I just completed my high dosage phase of Alpha Interferon. The first three days were rough, slight fever, headache, nausea, severe diarrhea. Never had the chills. But I was fatigued and slept long.

The tail end of the four weeks high dosage was the worse for me but I don't entirely blame the drug. I had a lot going on including planning a wedding, honeymoon and getting through the original surgeries to get me "cancer free". I had a lot of things to keep my mind focused. Then I got to Memorial Day weekend and severe anxiety and a little drespression hit at the same time. We cancelled the last four doses and my doctor decided to give me a two week break. I also lost close to 20 lbs during those first three weeks. I'm sticking with it though so next Monday I start with the self injections for 11 months. For my stage I wasn't give many options but I felt inclined to be proactive about this. I'm not gonna let it beat me.

So stay strong and you may want your Dr to prescribe other meds before you start interferon so you can control whatever comes at you. It will be a tough year but you can do it.

best of luck

michael

[email protected] if you have questions or just need a pen pal.

michaelinsocal
                                        Participant

Hi Brittany.

I just completed my high dosage phase of Alpha Interferon. The first three days were rough, slight fever, headache, nausea, severe diarrhea. Never had the chills. But I was fatigued and slept long.

The tail end of the four weeks high dosage was the worse for me but I don't entirely blame the drug. I had a lot going on including planning a wedding, honeymoon and getting through the original surgeries to get me "cancer free". I had a lot of things to keep my mind focused. Then I got to Memorial Day weekend and severe anxiety and a little drespression hit at the same time. We cancelled the last four doses and my doctor decided to give me a two week break. I also lost close to 20 lbs during those first three weeks. I'm sticking with it though so next Monday I start with the self injections for 11 months. For my stage I wasn't give many options but I felt inclined to be proactive about this. I'm not gonna let it beat me.

So stay strong and you may want your Dr to prescribe other meds before you start interferon so you can control whatever comes at you. It will be a tough year but you can do it.

best of luck

michael

michaelinsocal
                                          Participant

Hi Brittany.

best of luck

michael

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics