The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone at MD Anderson?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone at MD Anderson?

Participant
      Is anyone a melanoma patient at MD Anderson?

I have my first appointment Thursday and am just wondering what to expect.

So far, I’ve been diagnosed with stage IV metastatic melanoma through a biopsy on a lump in my breast. All of my records have been sent to MD Anderson and I have copies I’m bringing, as well. I have registration at noon and my appointment with the doctor at 1:00pm.

I was just wondering if I’ll be sent for scans or bloodwork the same day? Or is this one of those fluffy meet-and-greets where I’ll have to make appointments for everything on other days? I’m at a new job and they said I cannot miss more than 10 hours per week or they’ll let me go. I’m really hoping to make good use of tomorrow’s time. Just wondering if anyone has experience with an initial appointment and what I should expect.

Many thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          Have you sent your scans images etc in advance?
            jennifer83
            Participant
              The only images I have had came from an ultrasound and mammogram of the breast. When they found the lump, they biopsied it and it came back as melanoma; from there, they referred me to MD Anderson. I have not had any other scans.
              kst
              Participant
                I set up scans and bloodwork for 6:00 am. I am usually finished by 9:30 if they combine my scans. MDA is a busy place and most doctors are always behind schedule. infusions can be scheduled for late in the day also if needed.
                If your company has more than 20 employees, make sure HR is aware of your issues. Let them know you will do everything possible to meet your work requirements. If the company has given an exception to another employee in the past but terminated you they are skating on thin ice no matter their procedures. No manager wants to get a letter from the EEOC, much less deal with discovery, depositions, and a federal judge who would let his own employees off for treatment if they were in your shoes.
                Remember that your health comes first. It’s hard to pay the bills and support your family if you are dead.
                Susanne
                jennifer83
                Participant
                  Thank you for your response! Good info and things to think about…
                  gregor913
                  Participant
                    Your health is number 1. I believe you qualify for disability with that diagnosis. Im stage 3b but we have a family friend who was stage 4 but now is ned. That was 18 years ago and still going strong.
                  NewEra
                  Participant
                    I’m not in Texas, but I share you anxiety about this!

I just learned that I now need bloodwork (taken, analyzed, read) before I can get the TAF/MEK drugs for targeted therapy. I’ve been waiting almost 2 months to get of Prednisone, and have been under 5MG for a week. Went for an ONCO visit 2 weeks ago, and a PET last Thurs – both facilities had a Kaiser lab where I could have done the blood draw.

Now I need to take more time off, and coordinate travel – AGAIN! – to a facility that can take my blood (can only go to a Kaiser facility) so a WASTE of another week!

Why is no one looking at the bigger picture? The cost of healthcare includes the TIME lost because medical professionals don’t coordinate care, they throw you over the fence to a scheduler… and there are separate schedulers for every piece of equipment or chair in a lab. SO FRUSTRATING!

MichelleRHG
                    Participant
                      Hi Jennifer, I’ve been a patient there for 3 years. My initial appt was different from what yours will be but my experience in the melanoma clinic is that you will probably have a wait. Its a busy clinic. Since you are Stage 4 I think they will order a brain MRI and CT of chest, abdomen, pelvis. The only times they wanted PET scans for me was before surgeries.
                      I doubt they will be able to squeeze in the scans after your appt. but they do run scans into the night so they might be able to. If you plead with your doctor to ask for 1st thing in the a.m. or after lunch you could still work 1/2 day. Scans will take about 4 + hours with prep, waiting, etc.
                      Everything is very well organized there and runs smoothly. Just slow much of the time.
                      Which oncologist will you be seeing?
                        jennifer83
                        Participant
                          Thank you for your response. I’ll be seeing Dr. Adi Diab.
                        MichelleRHG
                        Participant
                          Oh, and they schedule my scans 3 months in advance through patient portal but I think at your first visit they will tell you when they will be. I have had good results calling the scheduler from home to explain circumstances, etc and they are very happy to try and get a good day and time for me.
                          Kab
                          Participant
                            I’ve been a patient at MDA for a little over a year. My first appointment took a while and I didn’t get scans that day. They have scanning facilities that are open on the weekends and you can let your doctor and team know it’s important that you miss as little work as possible. I’ve also had a scan at 7pm. If a scan or multiple scans are scheduled at a time that seems bad, then you can request a new appointment time in MyChart. I think they’ll work with you. I found out that I was Stage IV in June 2018 and I’ve been NED for over a year. Good luck with everything.
                              jennifer83
                              Participant
                                That is great news! Where had your melanoma metastasized to? I am experiencing new lumps all over my body – around 11 within the last four months… most of them popping up in recent weeks. I’m so afraid to see how far it’s spread.
                                Kab
                                Participant
                                  I hope your appointment(s) went well today. When I started treatment (ipi-nivo), i had metastases in various lymph nodes, both lungs, both breasts, liver, pancreas, outside my spleen, and outside my kidneys. I could feel three of them under my skin. Two weeks before that horrible scan, they were “only” in a lymph node and my lungs. I was initially going to go on a clinical trial, but wasn’t able to join (no reason given). That was frustrating because it delayed the start of my actual treatment. I only received 2 treatments of combo ipi-nivo, due to the effects it had on my liver. It terrified me to not be given all four treatments. The nivo was discontinued a few months later due to unacceptable side effects (the liver again, though I had other side effects, some reversible and some not, and one other “serious” side effect). I had already gotten my first scan showing I was NED. It was scary for all treatment to be discontinued, but I had already had my first NED scan, so it helped me deal with the fear of doing nothing. I feel incredibly lucky to have had the best response so quickly (minus the side effects). I really hope that you feel better after today and I especially hope that your treatment plan is effective for you! Also, I worked throughout my treatment (short as it was overall), but often had to leave work early the day or two after a treatment. I would recommend requesting to get your treatments on Fridays (or Thursdays) so that you can rest over the weekend (assuming you work M-F), if you are concerned about missing work. Hang in there. It’s tough. Stay strong.
                                  jennifer83
                                  Participant
                                    Wow.. your story is very inspiring. I have discovered 12 lumps under the skin so far… two in the neck, three in the breast (confirmed by mammogram/ultrasound/biopsy), two in the stomach, one on my back, three in the groin area (one that has bruised severely), and one in my thigh. I fear that the melanoma is EVERYWHERE. It’s really hard not to think of the worst. We’re trying to keep positive and I am really hope for a good action plan today.

That’s great advice – to keep appointments near the weekend. I only work half days on Fridays, so I’m hoping to schedule most things on that day. Thank you for response and I’m so happy that you’re NED!!

Coragirl
                                  Participant
                                    Hello, my husband is a patient at MD Anderson. He is also stage 4, expect to wait A LOT! At my husband’s first appointment back when he was stage 3 we saw about 5 different people that were part of his team. We were not comfortable with that oncologist and MDA easily switched him to another one. He is treated by Dr. Glitza and has been happy. All the doctors are excellent, sometimes you just have a personality clash. They are very accommodating when it comes to my husband’s schedule, he usually has everything all in one day. It is a long day but he prefers to just get it all done and get back to his life. I wish you the best with your treatment, you are definitely going to the right place.
                                      jennifer83
                                      Participant
                                        Thank you for your response! I hope your husband is doing well!
                                  Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics