The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anybody had two wedge resections on same lobe?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anybody had two wedge resections on same lobe?

Participant

Well, after being NED for a year and a half, it appears that I have a new lung nodule in the same lobe (left lower) from which I had one removed in 11/12.  That one was a wedge resection done by VATS.  Currently this nodule is small, only 4.5mm, so I imagine the docs will say wait and see if it grows.  However, the chances seem really good that this is another melanoma met.  I don't see either of my oncologists until next week, so I am just wondering if anyone out there has had more than one resection in the same lobe.  I really like to have as much information as possible before I hear what they have to say – especially as I usually turn into some kind of blithering idiot in the oncology office!  Thanks for any help/experiences you can share. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        RJoeyB
        Participant

Vivian, sorry to hear about this new finding, but it's good to hear that you're trying to get ahead of it.  I had a 1.2-cm lung met first discovered last October.  We waited and observed for six weeks and it was stable, so gave it another six weeks and it had grown slightly.  At that point, I think it could have gone either way, either continuing to observe or taking some action, but we all felt there was a window of opportunity to just take care of it and be done with it, so decided to move forward and treat.

I know this isn't answering your question directly, but I wanted to offer another perspective and option that you may wish to discuss with your doctors.  We consulted with the pulmonary oncologists about performing a wedge resection, but my he, my primary oncologist, and my radiation oncologist agreed that they could effectively eliminate the tumor using stereotactic radiation therapy (SBRT) in just a few sessions, without subjecting me to lung surgery and with few to no other side effects.  I had five sessions of SBRT over two weeks, painless, maybe some minor fatigue, but that's it, back in February, and by April it was already showing a response on scan.  There will be scar tissue that will always show up on scan, but they feel that it is effectively "ablated" and shouldn't cause any further issues – my next full-body PET is next week, so we'll confirm, but I'm feeling good about it.

I wrote a detailed response to someone else recently that you can read here:

http://www.melanoma.org/comment/76469#comment-76469

Again, just something to consider and I think worth talking to your doctors about.  I hope it's helpful information.

Best,

Joe

vivian
            Participant

Joe,

Thank you so much – this is super information which I will definitely share with my docs next week!  Meanwhile, I am sending positive thoughts to you for your PET results.  Please keep us all posted.

Best regards,

Viviab

RJoeyB
              Participant

You're welcome, thanks for the well-wishes, too.  Let us know how things go with your discussions as well.

Joe

RJoeyB
                Participant

You're welcome, thanks for the well-wishes, too.  Let us know how things go with your discussions as well.

Joe

RJoeyB
                  Participant

Joe

vivian
                    Participant

Joe,

Thank you so much – this is super information which I will definitely share with my docs next week!  Meanwhile, I am sending positive thoughts to you for your PET results.  Please keep us all posted.

Best regards,

Viviab

vivian
                      Participant

Joe,

Best regards,

Viviab

RJoeyB
                      Participant

Vivian, sorry to hear about this new finding, but it's good to hear that you're trying to get ahead of it.  I had a 1.2-cm lung met first discovered last October.  We waited and observed for six weeks and it was stable, so gave it another six weeks and it had grown slightly.  At that point, I think it could have gone either way, either continuing to observe or taking some action, but we all felt there was a window of opportunity to just take care of it and be done with it, so decided to move forward and treat.

I know this isn't answering your question directly, but I wanted to offer another perspective and option that you may wish to discuss with your doctors.  We consulted with the pulmonary oncologists about performing a wedge resection, but my he, my primary oncologist, and my radiation oncologist agreed that they could effectively eliminate the tumor using stereotactic radiation therapy (SBRT) in just a few sessions, without subjecting me to lung surgery and with few to no other side effects.  I had five sessions of SBRT over two weeks, painless, maybe some minor fatigue, but that's it, back in February, and by April it was already showing a response on scan.  There will be scar tissue that will always show up on scan, but they feel that it is effectively "ablated" and shouldn't cause any further issues – my next full-body PET is next week, so we'll confirm, but I'm feeling good about it.

Again, just something to consider and I think worth talking to your doctors about.  I hope it's helpful information.

Best,

Joe

RJoeyB
                        Participant

Best,

Joe

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics