The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Any trials in AUST for brain mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Any trials in AUST for brain mets

Participant

Hi does any one know of trials in Australia for patients with brain mets?

I'm guessing that's a long shot…

Thanks in advance 
      Nahmi from Melbourne

Hi does any one know of trials in Australia for patients with brain mets?

I'm guessing that's a long shot…

Thanks in advance 
      Nahmi from Melbourne

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
          deardad
          Participant

Hi Frank,

Yeah there isnt much when you have brain mets, it's pretty depressing really.

Dad's feeling ok, tired in the afternoons but he's on Temador. He said he felt a new lump near his shoulder, so I don't think the chemos working. He walked 2kms slowly today, so he feels ok, but since my mum isn't coping he tends not to let on too much if there is a pain somewhere. From what I can see there's no major headaches or pains, he's not taking any pain killers. I just know things can turn so quickly and it just feels so hopeless with so little treatment options. He has a scan next Friday and then we see the oncologist.

I just wonder if we should try to see if gamma knife is possible (at Westmead in Sydney) if the WBR hasn't stabilised things, otherwise he will never get on a trial.

Do you think IPI is something we should consider. We'll have to pay for it and the onc doesn't think it's worth it?

Thanks 

Nahmi

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Nahmi, it sounds like your dad's condition is fairly reasonable at the moment as he can
              walk 2km and isn't on pain medication. If it is determined that Temador isn't working
              you could ask the oncologist about trying fotemustine, which is a chemo drug that
              crosses the blood brain barrier like Temodar. I think that it is still available here,
              but has limited availability elsewhere. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fotemustine

In addition, you could explore the possibility of Gamma Knife treatment. See:
              http://muh.org.au/health-services-australia-gamma-knife.html

It would also be good to find another oncologist who is more experienced in using
              Yervoy, as a second opinion can be very worthwhile.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Nahmi, it sounds like your dad's condition is fairly reasonable at the moment as he can
                walk 2km and isn't on pain medication. If it is determined that Temador isn't working
                you could ask the oncologist about trying fotemustine, which is a chemo drug that
                crosses the blood brain barrier like Temodar. I think that it is still available here,
                but has limited availability elsewhere. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fotemustine

It would also be good to find another oncologist who is more experienced in using

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

deardad
                  Participant

Hi Frank,

Dad's feeling ok, tired in the afternoons but he's on Temador. He said he felt a new lump near his shoulder, so I don't think the chemos working. He walked 2kms slowly today, so he feels ok, but since my mum isn't coping he tends not to let on too much if there is a pain somewhere. From what I can see there's no major headaches or pains, he's not taking any pain killers. I just know things can turn so quickly and it just feels so hopeless with so little treatment options. He has a scan next Friday and then we see the oncologist.

I just wonder if we should try to see if gamma knife is possible (at Westmead in Sydney) if the WBR hasn't stabilised things, otherwise he will never get on a trial.

Do you think IPI is something we should consider. We'll have to pay for it and the onc doesn't think it's worth it?

Thanks 

Nahmi

deardad
                    Participant

Hi Frank,

Thanks 

Nahmi

AllyNTAus
                    Participant
                      Nahmi, have you tried getting in contact with Dr Georgina Long or Professor Rick Kefford either thru the Westmead Cancer Care/Millenium Research Institute or the Melanoma Institute at North Sydney? I was certain there was still some trialling of Dabrafenib occurring with people with brain mets.
                      AllyNTAus
                      Participant
                        Nahmi, have you tried getting in contact with Dr Georgina Long or Professor Rick Kefford either thru the Westmead Cancer Care/Millenium Research Institute or the Melanoma Institute at North Sydney? I was certain there was still some trialling of Dabrafenib occurring with people with brain mets.
                        AllyNTAus
                        Participant
                          benp
                          Participant

Hi Nahmi,

I know the frustration of the lack of options for brain mets in Australia. The Dabrafenib study at Westmead is closed (I am/was on it).  I Gamma Knife does seem like a good idea (I had this one month ago for 10 lesions), but if you can, I would go with Ipi asap. The chances of an objective response are very low (about 5-10%) at this dosage, though it may keep things stable for long enough for something else to come along down the track.

benp
                            Participant

Hi Nahmi,

I know the frustration of the lack of options for brain mets in Australia. The Dabrafenib study at Westmead is closed (I am/was on it).  I Gamma Knife does seem like a good idea (I had this one month ago for 10 lesions), but if you can, I would go with Ipi asap. The chances of an objective response are very low (about 5-10%) at this dosage, though it may keep things stable for long enough for something else to come along down the track.

deardad
                                Participant

Hi Ben, how did you go on Dabrafenib? Did the gamma knife show a response?

My dad's onc is not recommending IPI, he thinks it's not worth it.

I may still try for gamma, although the head of radiation at Peter Mac said they wouldn't consider him because of the mets through the body.

Just feel like we have no real options, melanoma stinks…I'm sorry you are all dealing with this.

Nahmi

deardad
                                  Participant

I may still try for gamma, although the head of radiation at Peter Mac said they wouldn't consider him because of the mets through the body.

Just feel like we have no real options, melanoma stinks…I'm sorry you are all dealing with this.

Nahmi

benp
                                    Participant

Hi Nahmi, 

I went very well on Dabrafenib until a couple of months ago. I am now looking overseas for further options. It's too soon to know if the Gamma Knife did any good. I'm meeting the radio-oncologist tomorrow actually. 

Does your Dad require steroids for his brain mets? If not, then this is probably the best option in Australia, if you can get on it.

http://www.anzctr.org.au/ACTRN12611001136998.aspx

Ben.

benp
                                      Participant

Hi Nahmi, 

I went very well on Dabrafenib until a couple of months ago. I am now looking overseas for further options. It's too soon to know if the Gamma Knife did any good. I'm meeting the radio-oncologist tomorrow actually. 

Does your Dad require steroids for his brain mets? If not, then this is probably the best option in Australia, if you can get on it.

Ben.

benp
                                        Participant

Hi Nahmi, 

Ben.

deardad
                                          Participant

Hi Ben thanks for that information, I've called the office to find out about that trial and she is calling back in the morning. I hope that you can get into a ANTIPD1 trial in the OS they sound very promising. Let us know whether you find something.

Stay positive, go forward.

Thanks again,

Nahmi

deardad
                                            Participant

Hi Ben thanks for that information, I've called the office to find out about that trial and she is calling back in the morning. I hope that you can get into a ANTIPD1 trial in the OS they sound very promising. Let us know whether you find something.

Thanks again,

Nahmi

deardad
                                              Participant

Thanks again,

Nahmi

deardad
                                                Participant

ps hope all goes well with the radiologist tomorrow.

deardad
                                                  Participant

deardad
                                                    Participant

deardad
                                                      Participant

Nahmi

benp
                                                      Participant

Hi Nahmi,

caro78
                                                        Participant

Hi Nahmi,

My father too has brain mets and we are hopefully going to start the yervoy trial (blinded study of 3mg v 10mg). There seems to be a lot of side effects and I'm not really sure if this is the best path. We find out tomorrow if he will go on this. Does your dad have any symptoms? My dad also has mets in his liver and two on his lung. There doesn't seem too many paths you are able to travel with this which is such a shame. We did WHR and we aren't sure if this has been successful since its only been four weeks and they won't do a scan till after six weeks.

If you know of anything, would love to hear about it. Any information is good as I ask as many questions as I can for my dad. My sisters and I will do anything we can to help him.

Good luck with your dad.

Thanks

deardad
                                                            Participant

Hi sorry you are going through this too, where is this yervoy trial your dad is going on? My dad I believe is asymtomatic at the moment.

I know there is a trial in QLD, which included IPI, a vaccine and chemo if you want more info I can give you a number to contact. It's such a tough time I know.

Take care and all the best with your dad.

Nahmi

deardad
                                                              Participant

Hi sorry you are going through this too, where is this yervoy trial your dad is going on? My dad I believe is asymtomatic at the moment.

I know there is a trial in QLD, which included IPI, a vaccine and chemo if you want more info I can give you a number to contact. It's such a tough time I know.

Nahmi

caro78
                                                                Participant

Hi Nahmi,

Any information you could give me would be great. A contact number would be wonderful!

Its such a terrible disease and so heartbreaking to watch loved ones go through. But I guess, we have to believe that everything happens for a reason and if they believe that they can fight this, then hopefully that will help them get through it. It has brought our family much closer and my dad has been so great.

I just want him to keep fighting and if anything can help him continue on for however long, then we will give it it a go. He has never been sick a day in his life and still looks great (minus his hair from WBR) but gets frustrated from being tired and short of breath.

Thanks Nahmi. Its nice to be able to talk to someone going through the same thing.

Caro ๐Ÿ™‚

caro78
                                                                  Participant

Hi Nahmi,

Any information you could give me would be great. A contact number would be wonderful!

Its such a terrible disease and so heartbreaking to watch loved ones go through. But I guess, we have to believe that everything happens for a reason and if they believe that they can fight this, then hopefully that will help them get through it. It has brought our family much closer and my dad has been so great.

I just want him to keep fighting and if anything can help him continue on for however long, then we will give it it a go. He has never been sick a day in his life and still looks great (minus his hair from WBR) but gets frustrated from being tired and short of breath.

Thanks Nahmi. Its nice to be able to talk to someone going through the same thing.

Caro ๐Ÿ™‚

caro78
                                                                    Participant

Hi Nahmi,

Caro ๐Ÿ™‚

deardad
                                                                      Participant

Nahmi

caro78
                                                                      Participant

Hi Nahmi,

My father too has brain mets and we are hopefully going to start the yervoy trial (blinded study of 3mg v 10mg). There seems to be a lot of side effects and I'm not really sure if this is the best path. We find out tomorrow if he will go on this. Does your dad have any symptoms? My dad also has mets in his liver and two on his lung. There doesn't seem too many paths you are able to travel with this which is such a shame. We did WHR and we aren't sure if this has been successful since its only been four weeks and they won't do a scan till after six weeks.

If you know of anything, would love to hear about it. Any information is good as I ask as many questions as I can for my dad. My sisters and I will do anything we can to help him.

Good luck with your dad.

Thanks

caro78
                                                                        Participant

Hi Nahmi,

Good luck with your dad.

Thanks

Kris Oz
                                                                          Participant

Nahmi

As Frank has suggested, maybe you should ask your onc about fotemustine (if you can't find a trial or something for the interim).  We were told that this can work when DTIC hasn't and does cross the blood brain barrier.

All the best

Kristy (Perth)

Kris Oz
                                                                            Participant

Nahmi

As Frank has suggested, maybe you should ask your onc about fotemustine (if you can't find a trial or something for the interim).  We were told that this can work when DTIC hasn't and does cross the blood brain barrier.

All the best

Kristy (Perth)

Kris Oz
                                                                              Participant

Nahmi

All the best

Kristy (Perth)

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics