The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Any suggestions for severe headaches/nausea after G Knife ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Any suggestions for severe headaches/nausea after G Knife ?

Participant

I was reading Lisa's post and wishing for the same for my friend David here in Singapore.  He is only 8 weeks post diagnosis of 3 brain mets (almost 3 years post stage IIIA) and he's having a really rough time.  He had a craniotomy for 2 tumours on Nov 1st and Gamma Knife on a 3rd a week or so later.  Since then he's had an awful time with bleeding, raised intracranial pressure and nausea/vomiting that have seen him re-admitted twice (and back at the hospital more than that).  It's brutal because I know he wants a great Christmas with his family and 3 you

I was reading Lisa's post and wishing for the same for my friend David here in Singapore.  He is only 8 weeks post diagnosis of 3 brain mets (almost 3 years post stage IIIA) and he's having a really rough time.  He had a craniotomy for 2 tumours on Nov 1st and Gamma Knife on a 3rd a week or so later.  Since then he's had an awful time with bleeding, raised intracranial pressure and nausea/vomiting that have seen him re-admitted twice (and back at the hospital more than that).  It's brutal because I know he wants a great Christmas with his family and 3 young children. 

We have a satellite clinic of Johns Hopkins here in Singapore (which is where he's being treated) and he gets additional opinions from the Mayo Clinic.  Does anyone have any additional advice (even lifestyle, things to eat/drink that help) that might help him get through the pain and nausea ? and sleeplessness ?    They've done repeated scans and so far he remains NED (not counting the gamma knifed tumour which obviously is still visible) but he's just suffering such a lot.

Any advice appreciated and I'll pass it on….

AlisonC

StageIIIB

NED since 2001

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I've also had problems like David.  They have done my mri to show that it has shrunk and the bleeding stopped within two weeks.

My problem is they can't get me off of the steroids.  They started me because of the bleeding right away. I was at the ERM room within 2 weeks and the mri said that I was stable.  Of course they weren't sure what was going on yet so they didn't take me off of the steroids.  Now we realize that (and I had my own opinions) the issue was the steroids.  Last week while doing the final stage of getting them off I did something (again my opinion) that I wanted to get off of these quickly.  We have a special family this coming weekend and wanted to be off of the steroids.  By Monday the headache was so bad and then I also couldn't walk.  Now I have to start weaning all over again.   I have gone to an endocronologist and they want to test the cortisal levels. The only problem is they can't test the levels until the steroids are gone – 2 days later.  

I'm assuming with the bleeding that David is on the steroids also. 

I do hope he is feeling better and the Doctors will help him.  Here I have been so happy that I saw good news about shrinkage and necrosis, just still can't feel better. This weekend is my granddaughter's 2nd birthday and my sons graduation for his MBA. My husband did not want us to go there.  I'm not allowing this to stop, just wish I wasn't having to travel almost 4 hours.

Best wishes,

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I've also had problems like David.  They have done my mri to show that it has shrunk and the bleeding stopped within two weeks.

My problem is they can't get me off of the steroids.  They started me because of the bleeding right away. I was at the ERM room within 2 weeks and the mri said that I was stable.  Of course they weren't sure what was going on yet so they didn't take me off of the steroids.  Now we realize that (and I had my own opinions) the issue was the steroids.  Last week while doing the final stage of getting them off I did something (again my opinion) that I wanted to get off of these quickly.  We have a special family this coming weekend and wanted to be off of the steroids.  By Monday the headache was so bad and then I also couldn't walk.  Now I have to start weaning all over again.   I have gone to an endocronologist and they want to test the cortisal levels. The only problem is they can't test the levels until the steroids are gone – 2 days later.  

I do hope he is feeling better and the Doctors will help him.  Here I have been so happy that I saw good news about shrinkage and necrosis, just still can't feel better. This weekend is my granddaughter's 2nd birthday and my sons graduation for his MBA. My husband did not want us to go there.  I'm not allowing this to stop, just wish I wasn't having to travel almost 4 hours.

Best wishes,

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Best wishes,

Linda

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics