The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Any places where tanning beds are banned for under 18 years ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Any places where tanning beds are banned for under 18 years ?

Participant

I am a small part of the Victoria group who is advocating for a ban from tanning salons for 18 and under. We don't want parental consent, just an outright ban, which could be effectively enforced.  It came to light at last night's hearing when a tanning salon operator says she has her 9 year old pre-tan before winter holidays..when we have uninformed and irresponsible parents such as her, we need an outright ban. The opposite side indicted there are no States that have a ban, is this correct?

I am a small part of the Victoria group who is advocating for a ban from tanning salons for 18 and under. We don't want parental consent, just an outright ban, which could be effectively enforced.  It came to light at last night's hearing when a tanning salon operator says she has her 9 year old pre-tan before winter holidays..when we have uninformed and irresponsible parents such as her, we need an outright ban. The opposite side indicted there are no States that have a ban, is this correct? bcl has done a fantastic job with it, and Julie, Mom of Ceri, shows her video..very powerful. If there are any Ozzies on line, what are some of your restrictions, I know your country is ahead of the game. Thanks for the help . J

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Donna
        Participant

I have been following these proceedings in Canada closely … congratulations for getting the issue this far. I do not believe that any states have a ban for under 18 … but that is certainly no reason for Canada not to do so. Matter of fact, I think my home state of Texas just last year passed (and not without a huge struggle)  the strongest law in the US against minors using tanning beds and that is no tanning under 16.5 and parental permission from 16.5-18 … but still not strong enough. I think one county in Maryland (Howard County?) has banned tanning under 18 (and I will be making a presentation to my city council here in Texas for a local ban). The US Food and Drug Administration is considering a federal ban on tanning bed use by minors; they've got the research and had their hearings … I have no clue what they are waiting for. Good luck with getting this passed and thank you for all your work on this important issue.

Donna R (mom to Jaime, mel angel)

bcl
            Participant

Gotta a jump in here and say a huge thanks Donna – I believe I have seen you do a remarkable job posting online to the various newspapers up here.. THANK YOU!  linda

Donna
              Participant

Thanks for your comment! I keep posting but don't know whether anyone ever sees the posts or not. I think it is terrific that Canada is considering this,  and I hope it passes. Canada could lead the way on this issue instead of waiting for the US to do something (and I think we will, just don't know when). GO, CANADA!!!!

bcl
                Participant

I've come to appreciate that keeping an online presence is very important Donna – the media watch closely as do those who are pushing for change, (and I'm happy to tell you, it's not just us mel folks doing the pushing..)

You are helping us more than you realize:)  

bcl
                  Participant

I've come to appreciate that keeping an online presence is very important Donna – the media watch closely as do those who are pushing for change, (and I'm happy to tell you, it's not just us mel folks doing the pushing..)

You are helping us more than you realize:)  

Donna
                    Participant

Thanks for your comment! I keep posting but don't know whether anyone ever sees the posts or not. I think it is terrific that Canada is considering this,  and I hope it passes. Canada could lead the way on this issue instead of waiting for the US to do something (and I think we will, just don't know when). GO, CANADA!!!!

bcl
                      Participant

Gotta a jump in here and say a huge thanks Donna – I believe I have seen you do a remarkable job posting online to the various newspapers up here.. THANK YOU!  linda

Donna
                      Participant

I have been following these proceedings in Canada closely … congratulations for getting the issue this far. I do not believe that any states have a ban for under 18 … but that is certainly no reason for Canada not to do so. Matter of fact, I think my home state of Texas just last year passed (and not without a huge struggle)  the strongest law in the US against minors using tanning beds and that is no tanning under 16.5 and parental permission from 16.5-18 … but still not strong enough. I think one county in Maryland (Howard County?) has banned tanning under 18 (and I will be making a presentation to my city council here in Texas for a local ban). The US Food and Drug Administration is considering a federal ban on tanning bed use by minors; they've got the research and had their hearings … I have no clue what they are waiting for. Good luck with getting this passed and thank you for all your work on this important issue.

Donna R (mom to Jaime, mel angel)

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics