The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Any man with interferon pegylado and infertility?

Forums General Melanoma Community Any man with interferon pegylado and infertility?

Participant

Hi!

My husband is stage IIIa from june 2012 At that time the oncologist gave him two optiones:  watch and wait  or pegylated interferon for 2 years. He did not felt comfortable with doing nothing, then try pegylated interferon wanted .

MY husband is with pegylated interferon since October 2012, he has a normal life , working full time. The  most annoying symptom is fatigue. My husband is now 40 years old, he  has its scan every 6 months and blood checks , and these last two months  he did 2 PET, thank god he's fine for now.

We are trying to have a child 3 years ago, I even did two IVF ICSI treatments but not get pregnant. According to the doctor I'm fertile, the problem is in my husband's sperm.

The oncologist gave no evidence that the interferon produced or no produced infertility.

you know whether interferon produces or aggravates male infertility?

we are very sad and depressed by this situation.

Melanoma most infertility is destroying our lives.

thanks and regards

gaby

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Thandster
        Participant

Hi Gaby,

This is a little clip from the American Cancer Society website about interferon;

"If you think you might want to have children in the future. This drug can affect fertility. Talk with your doctor about the possible risk with this drug and the options that may preserve your ability to have children."

When interferon was offered to me, it was either our Doc or the paperwork we received about it said it shouldn't  have long term consequences but to not be actively trying to get pregnant while taking. 

I chose watch and wait so can't offer any practical experience, but that's the info we had when deciding.

good luck!

Thandster

Thandster
          Participant

Hi Gaby,

This is a little clip from the American Cancer Society website about interferon;

"If you think you might want to have children in the future. This drug can affect fertility. Talk with your doctor about the possible risk with this drug and the options that may preserve your ability to have children."

When interferon was offered to me, it was either our Doc or the paperwork we received about it said it shouldn't  have long term consequences but to not be actively trying to get pregnant while taking. 

I chose watch and wait so can't offer any practical experience, but that's the info we had when deciding.

good luck!

Thandster

Thandster
            Participant

Hi Gaby,

good luck!

Thandster

POW
              Participant

Gaby, I can understand your disappointment at not being able to conceive a child. Absolutely. But I do hope that you are exaggerating when you say that infertility is destroying your lives. If infertility is destroying your lives, that is because you are choosing to let that happen.

You could choose to thank God that your husband still has his health (for now) and is enjoying life. You could start to make plans to adopt a child or take in a foster child. Or you could accept that God did not plan for you to have children.

You can have a loving, happy home and a loving, happy marriage despite this bitter disappointment. Or you can rage and obsess about something that is not in your control and ruin your marriage and your life and your husband's life. The choice is yours.

POW
                Participant

Gaby, I can understand your disappointment at not being able to conceive a child. Absolutely. But I do hope that you are exaggerating when you say that infertility is destroying your lives. If infertility is destroying your lives, that is because you are choosing to let that happen.

You could choose to thank God that your husband still has his health (for now) and is enjoying life. You could start to make plans to adopt a child or take in a foster child. Or you could accept that God did not plan for you to have children.

You can have a loving, happy home and a loving, happy marriage despite this bitter disappointment. Or you can rage and obsess about something that is not in your control and ruin your marriage and your life and your husband's life. The choice is yours.

POW
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics