The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Any ideas for my coughing?

Forums General Melanoma Community Any ideas for my coughing?

Participant

I still have a bad cough and the tassalon perls have not helped, I can not take codiene so am wondering if anyone here got any relief from something other than  those two? I am calling my GP today and also the clinic at Madison to see what I can do. My breathing is much better. Still no energy tho and this waiting for the clinical trial is also wearing on me, everything takes too much time for me. I will have all my children and grandkids here the week of the 18th so that will keep my mind busy. Any input would be appreiciated.

I still have a bad cough and the tassalon perls have not helped, I can not take codiene so am wondering if anyone here got any relief from something other than  those two? I am calling my GP today and also the clinic at Madison to see what I can do. My breathing is much better. Still no energy tho and this waiting for the clinical trial is also wearing on me, everything takes too much time for me. I will have all my children and grandkids here the week of the 18th so that will keep my mind busy. Any input would be appreiciated.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        cltml
        Participant

I have two large mets in my lungs and was having coughing problems.  I found out by serendipity that an opiate that I had left over from a previous surgery helped to knock out my cough.  I know that codeine is derived from opiates, but don't know if all opiates are off limits for you

My cough was so intense last fall that I started pinching nerves in my back.  In order to sleep one night, I took a couple of norco pills that I had left over from my craniotomy.  I took two more in the morning about 10 hours after the first and realized later in the day that I was not coughing.  After working with my oncologist and experimenting for awhile, I found that oxycodone worked as well, but allowed me to avoid the acetaminophen.

It has continued to work for me since then, although I do still have some productive coughing fits brought on by my lungs trying to clear themselves out (I assume).  They typically last about five minutes and I have 1 or 2 a day.  Very manageable.

BTW, I also take Singulair (10mg) once per day.  I don't know if that has anything to do with thecough relief that I have experienced.

Let me know if you have any questions.

cltml

yoopergirl
            Participant

Thanks for your reply, my GP prescribed Tussionex Pennkinetic ER so will see how that works, the pharacist called me with some concerns since I am sensitive to codiene and is worried about this drug and said if I get a rash then I should stop it. Also am starting Amolxicillin for the sinus infection, feel like a walking drug store. My GP said my mets in my lungs are the size of golf balls and it is no wonder that I am coughing.

yoopergirl
              Participant

Thanks for your reply, my GP prescribed Tussionex Pennkinetic ER so will see how that works, the pharacist called me with some concerns since I am sensitive to codiene and is worried about this drug and said if I get a rash then I should stop it. Also am starting Amolxicillin for the sinus infection, feel like a walking drug store. My GP said my mets in my lungs are the size of golf balls and it is no wonder that I am coughing.

yoopergirl
                Participant

cltml
                Participant

I have two large mets in my lungs and was having coughing problems.  I found out by serendipity that an opiate that I had left over from a previous surgery helped to knock out my cough.  I know that codeine is derived from opiates, but don't know if all opiates are off limits for you

My cough was so intense last fall that I started pinching nerves in my back.  In order to sleep one night, I took a couple of norco pills that I had left over from my craniotomy.  I took two more in the morning about 10 hours after the first and realized later in the day that I was not coughing.  After working with my oncologist and experimenting for awhile, I found that oxycodone worked as well, but allowed me to avoid the acetaminophen.

It has continued to work for me since then, although I do still have some productive coughing fits brought on by my lungs trying to clear themselves out (I assume).  They typically last about five minutes and I have 1 or 2 a day.  Very manageable.

BTW, I also take Singulair (10mg) once per day.  I don't know if that has anything to do with thecough relief that I have experienced.

cltml

cltml
                  Participant

cltml

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics