The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Any happy ending for stage 1a?

Forums General Melanoma Community Any happy ending for stage 1a?

Participant

Hey all prayers for all.. I’ve been in a depressed haze (stuck inside due to hurricane) and I know I shouldn’t spend the day and night reading blogs post and everything under the sun. But is there any hope for 1aers all I see is bad outcomes. People having 1a then boom couple months/years stage 4. But anyways idk what I’m trying to say or think anymore. Hang in there all. Praying for everyone.

.3mm deep melanoma no ulceration no mitosis 

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        ThinkingPositive
        Participant

Yes Dave, there is hope! Just turn your gaze to all the good outcomes and you will see your happy ending began right after your surgery ended! The odds are forever in your favor that you will not seen melanoma in your body again.  

I say this a year after my diagnosis, 2A, and it took a while to learn all about the different types and stages of the disease. It took a while to get over the shock and disfigurement a graft on the face produces.  I can now say I am so grateful I found it early and had it removed. I am finally happy and free of the fears you described. Thanks to Celeste for a quote she shared…paraphrased here- my scar is not ugly, my scar is proof that I survived; I plan on living my life with the awareness that I received the gift OF MORE LIFE to live!

Be well and happy my friend. There is sunshine after the hurricane! 

KellyH
          Participant

Hey Dave.

yes!!   there is hope…there is hope for all stages of melanoma due to huge progress in treatments. 

I will share a great piece of advice I got when I first joined the group…completely overwhelmed and scared. My young son was diagnosed with Stage 3a in February and I was crying almost every minute of everyday. 

There are thousands of people that survive….they really do. And some of them for whatever their reasons do not check back and check in or report how well they are doing. Maybe it’s because they are afraid to look back and relive their melanoma journey or perhaps they are just busy living life to the fullest like they should be!!!!!! 

We are very lucky for the wonderful people on here that stick with it and provide support for people new to this world. 

Hang in there and think positive thoughts!!!! Thars halfvthe battle!!! 

Kelly 🙂

Janner
            Participant

Happy endings?  They're out living life.  Why would any stage 1a person be posting 1 year, 5 years or 10 years after diagnosis?  Melanoma isn't the foremost thing in their mind.  Cruising the internet at stage 1a isn't a good idea.  The internet is NOT representative of the entire melanoma population.  The "exceptions" come back.  No diagnosis is 100% but if you're dealing with melanoma again, you'll likely show up on a site like this.  If you're in the majority of the 95+% of stage 1a who don't recur, why post?  I've been on this site over 17 years and I cannot tell you the number of early stagers who post terrified, but later move on.

Janner

Stage 1B since 1992, 3 MM primaries.

QuietPoet
                Participant

By far mostly happy endings for 1As. I hang around here because a) I've had some questions during my healing; b) I have lots of dysplastic moles and like to keep up on research, especially as it might apply to advances in detection, and c) to reassure people such as yourself. I plan to post my "no progression from 1A after excision" each year for that purpose. I posted my first year post in July. I figure I can help reassure those of us who were lucky enough to catch it early and the experts on here can help those who have more technical questions. Take care and just wear that sunscreen!

AN8
                  Participant

So glad to see you posting Janner.

Janner
                    Participant

Thanks, AN8.  Technical difficulties – I wasn't able to login for a long time so unable to post.  It was a good break, I've been here too long.

AN8
                      Participant

Yes you have been here quite a while.  But I can tell you, even though we never spoke directly about my specific issues, reading your posts helped me through a very dark time after my initial diagnosis.  For that I am grateful and blessed you have stuck around all these years.  Know you do make a difference . 

MelanomaMike
                      Participant
                        Hi Dave, “yes” there is hope for “All” of us Stagers, you particularly (and some others here) are very lucky to be 1A “today”, todays advancements in Melanoma research & “warfare” have gained progress in the past 10 years.
                        You might wanna start a blog or a Website called the OneAye’rs?? Or, just stick around and make yourself feel better with all our stage 3 & 4 stories of survival (and some sad stories) and learn all you can cuz this Mel bug still has a chance to be with you for the rest of your days…thats the reality of Melanoma, sneaky lil bastards…Mike
                        AN8
                        Participant

Stage 1b'r here.  I too was in a VERY dark place for about 3 months after diagnosis largely because educating myself on the internet scared me to death in the process.  I am not a weak person..I've lived 3 years knowing I have a brain aneurysm and never skipped a beat.  Some say it's the "c" word.  It's sneaky.  It doesn't play fair.  

There is no dr that is going to tell you that you will never see melanoma again.  There is no crystal ball to predict your future.  But at a 1a, there is a 97% chance there will be no recurrence or spread.   There's just a 10% chance you will develop a new primary..unless you have a genetic disposition which is rare.  If you are where I was, you are obsessing over the 3% and the 10%.   I can tell you right now, there's not a dern thing you can do about any of it other than monitor yourself, practice safe sun exposure practices, have a medical team you can trust and have some faith.  That's it.  Stress and anxiety are NOT going to change anything and it will hurt your overall health.  At some point you will realize this and see that your not living your life and that you're worried about something that may never happen.  Further, you sorta feel guilty because you are so much better off in your diagnosis than many on this very site,  I get it..100%.  Fear of the unknown is real no matter what stage.    Find comfort that the odds are in your favor and that you are doing all you can do for your well being.  I'm a Christian and leaned on His word to help me greatly. 

One other thing…Janner,that commented on your post earlier, I have never had the privilege to speak to her directly but I looked up her posts numerous times to read and re-read.  She was an educated voice of reason and hope when I was struggling.  Several people on this site are.  

Prayers for peace of mind and good health. 

Grifsy
                          Participant

Hi, Dave – I'm in about the same place as you are right now.  (My "depressed haze" has me up at 3 AM, looking at this forum.  Too much anxiety to sleep.)  The positive responses to your post are calming me down some, though.  For that, I thank you for posting and I thank all who took the time to reply so thoughtfully.  You've all given me some important things to ponder.

Dave61184
                            Participant

Thank you all for the reply and good thoughts.

laurakoco
                              Participant

Hi Dave, I took was diagnosed with 1A too in June. It took about a month for me to feel not terribly messed up about it. We all have our own process; it's a lot to digest. For 1A, there is a good chance it will not spread. As more time passes, we will have more treatment options, more advancements. Without Melanoma, there is not guarantee you'll be here tomorrow. Your insurance company probably estimates there's a 3% chance you'll kick the bucket in the next couple of years unrelated to Melanoma! Try to stay in the present … it gets easier with time.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics