The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anxious

Forums General Melanoma Community Anxious

Participant
      I was diagnosed with stage IA 3.5 years ago on my scalp, when I was 21. It was about 0.8mm without any ulceration. I had a WLE, and it hasn’t caused any issues since, and my skin checks have all been clear since.

The past 3 weeks I’ve had a swollen lymph node on my neck, opposite the side of the primary. I also had what was thought to be a kidney infection 3 weeks ago, so I kinda just ignored my lymph node while I focused on getting rid of the fevers and taking the antibiotics for the kidney infection. Thankfully those symptoms resolved. But this week I noticed a couple more swollen lymph nodes, one around each collar bone. The lymph nodes under my jaw are also swollen, but those are always somewhat swollen so they haven’t really given me any cause for concern. I have some sinus drainage, but again that’s kinda normal for me, and I don’t have any other cold/flu symptoms. I have a doctor’s appointment with my PCP one week from today for my annual physical & just figured I’d bring them up then if they’re still bothering me.

I don’t have any real reason to be posting, other than to help appease my anxiety and perhaps gets some advice on what to request from the doctor. I don’t know if I should request just blood tests or maybe a biopsy. Anywho, thanks for reading through this and for everyone’s helpful posts throughout the forum!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        chrispl1974
        Participant
          Hi,

I am no expert, but luckily , there are many very knowledgeable people on his forum. That being said, the fact that your lymph nodes have become palpable, basically from one day to the next and  your risk having melanoma in your lymph nodes is in the very low  single digits, taking into account  your primary 3.5 years ago was less than 1mm and not ulcerated etc., I think you should not worry. Probably all caused by your kidney infection and while the symptoms may have subsided, your body might still be fighting the infection.

Lets see what others like Bubbles have to say.

Take care

Chris

JudiAU
          Participant
            I definitely think it worth checking out. Melanomas in the head and neck are more likely to metastasize to the brain which is whole my 2B entered my brain after seven years. I was asymptotic when it was found because I was having regular brain MRIs.

on the other hand the swelling could very well be cause by the infection. Either way, good time to visit a doctor.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics