The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anti-PD1 is WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forums General Melanoma Community Anti-PD1 is WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Participant

After over a year of nothing but bad news and constant tumor progression, I just met with my Doctor at UCSF who was excited to tell me that I have had over a 30% tumor reduction from the ANTI-PD1 trial I am on.  All of the results out of ASCO last weekend in Chicago about ANTI-PD1 have been very promising and have shown that responders continue to respond.  I am so grateful for the groundbreaking research that is bringing these new immunotherapies to the forefront.

After over a year of nothing but bad news and constant tumor progression, I just met with my Doctor at UCSF who was excited to tell me that I have had over a 30% tumor reduction from the ANTI-PD1 trial I am on.  All of the results out of ASCO last weekend in Chicago about ANTI-PD1 have been very promising and have shown that responders continue to respond.  I am so grateful for the groundbreaking research that is bringing these new immunotherapies to the forefront. I am so thankful for my friends and family that have supported me.  I am eternally thankful to my love, my partner, Lisa who, without her constant love and positive encouragement, I would be lost.  

Today is a happy, happy day.  I thank God he continues to give me more time to live each day to the fullest.  I ask for God's blessings in your lives.

With love and gratitude,

Robert

Viewing 41 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

That's fantastic Robert. How are the side effects (if any?) it's great to hear the Merck drug is working in your case (and presumably other cases); it's not so clear whether some of the other non-BMS ones are. A friend of mine back east is on the BMS trial and has been stable for almost a year now.

We go to the same clinic which makes your profile history very interesting reading. The UCSF Chancellor tweeted last week that anti-PD1 was "My pick for most promising  anti-cancer approach given potential broad impact and risk-benefit."

What is your NRAS mutation? Mine is G12A. Too bad the Pi3K didn't work for yours but it's awesome you're getting good results so far with the anti-PD1… may they continue!

-Kyle

kylez
          Participant

That's fantastic Robert. How are the side effects (if any?) it's great to hear the Merck drug is working in your case (and presumably other cases); it's not so clear whether some of the other non-BMS ones are. A friend of mine back east is on the BMS trial and has been stable for almost a year now.

We go to the same clinic which makes your profile history very interesting reading. The UCSF Chancellor tweeted last week that anti-PD1 was "My pick for most promising  anti-cancer approach given potential broad impact and risk-benefit."

What is your NRAS mutation? Mine is G12A. Too bad the Pi3K didn't work for yours but it's awesome you're getting good results so far with the anti-PD1… may they continue!

-Kyle

rbruce
              Participant

Hi Kyle, side effects have been mainly some fatigue, a rash on my chest and neck, bone, joint, and some muscle pain.  but nothing serious or difficult to handle.  it's been pretty easy so far, especially when i compare it to the biochemo i did initially.  my mutation is nras q61. I'm still floating after the news today and praying for continued shrinkage.  take care.  Robert

rbruce
                Participant

Hi Kyle, side effects have been mainly some fatigue, a rash on my chest and neck, bone, joint, and some muscle pain.  but nothing serious or difficult to handle.  it's been pretty easy so far, especially when i compare it to the biochemo i did initially.  my mutation is nras q61. I'm still floating after the news today and praying for continued shrinkage.  take care.  Robert

rbruce
                  Participant

killmel
                    Participant

Hi Kyle,

I have a friend also that is on merck pd1 trial in San Antonio. Unfortunaley, just after a few months, his thyroid numbers went crazy and now he takes meds to regulate his thyroid. The study nurse told him that a few other patients on Merck pd1 trial also are having thyroid problems. I read in Asco 2012 article published about BMS PD1 this was also an adverse side effect.

It is great news that your friend is still stable after 1 year. Is your friend NED?? How long did your friend take BMS drug??? Is he still taking the drug??? Is he on a "maintenance" program???

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions so that I can pass this information onto my friend in San Antonia.

Thanks again for the info about your friend.

MaryJo

killmel
                      Participant

Hi Kyle,

I have a friend also that is on merck pd1 trial in San Antonio. Unfortunaley, just after a few months, his thyroid numbers went crazy and now he takes meds to regulate his thyroid. The study nurse told him that a few other patients on Merck pd1 trial also are having thyroid problems. I read in Asco 2012 article published about BMS PD1 this was also an adverse side effect.

It is great news that your friend is still stable after 1 year. Is your friend NED?? How long did your friend take BMS drug??? Is he still taking the drug??? Is he on a "maintenance" program???

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions so that I can pass this information onto my friend in San Antonia.

MaryJo

kylez
                        Participant

Mary Jo, my friend is stable; not NED; trial/doses are ongoing. As for thyroid, I think his thyroid got blown out on IL-2, before BMS was even in the picture. 

kylez
                          Participant

Mary Jo, my friend is stable; not NED; trial/doses are ongoing. As for thyroid, I think his thyroid got blown out on IL-2, before BMS was even in the picture. 

kylez
                            Participant

LynnLuc
                              Participant

I am stage 4 and on BMS's Anti PD 1.. NED for over 2 years..my thyroid is also blown and I am on Synthroid…one piece of good news is that in previous IL-2 studies patients with the thryroid issues were shown to have durable responses…..so its a small price to pay. As we get older  our thyroid typical fizzles out anyway…

LynnLuc
                                Participant

I am stage 4 and on BMS's Anti PD 1.. NED for over 2 years..my thyroid is also blown and I am on Synthroid…one piece of good news is that in previous IL-2 studies patients with the thryroid issues were shown to have durable responses…..so its a small price to pay. As we get older  our thyroid typical fizzles out anyway…

LynnLuc
                                  Participant

PS I have been on it since Fall 2010. I curently get scans and anti pd 1 infusion every 3 months. My trial is someone different because I also rec'd 72 peptide injections in the first two 12 week cycles ( getting both anti pd 1 and peptides every other week). My onc also told me of a man on the BMS anti pd 1 who did progress and then had a complete spontaneous regression and is NED….

LynnLuc
                                    Participant

PS I have been on it since Fall 2010. I curently get scans and anti pd 1 infusion every 3 months. My trial is someone different because I also rec'd 72 peptide injections in the first two 12 week cycles ( getting both anti pd 1 and peptides every other week). My onc also told me of a man on the BMS anti pd 1 who did progress and then had a complete spontaneous regression and is NED….

LynnLuc
                                      Participant

LynnLuc
                                        Participant

killmel
                                          Participant

Hi Kyle,

MaryJo

noisy77
                                            Participant

Very excited to hear! Please keep us updated

noisy77
                                              Participant

noisy77
                                                Participant

kylez
                                                  Participant
                                                    actually I’ve only heard things on forums or elsewhere about 3 (of the 5 or 6) anti-pd1s out there, with your experience on Merck being the third. DI don’t know anything / have heard no forum-based info about any of the rest.
                                                    kylez
                                                    Participant
                                                      actually I’ve only heard things on forums or elsewhere about 3 (of the 5 or 6) anti-pd1s out there, with your experience on Merck being the third. DI don’t know anything / have heard no forum-based info about any of the rest.
                                                      kylez
                                                      Participant
                                                      kylez
                                                      Participant

-Kyle

melmar
                                                        Participant
                                                          So happy to read the good news! Congratulations!
                                                          melmar
                                                          Participant
                                                            melmar
                                                            Participant
                                                              MeNDave
                                                              Participant

That is awesome news Robert!!  I was hoping you would post soon with something upbeat – David tried to get into the merk trial in Pittsburgh, but we discovered his brain mets.  I'm hoping that maybe once they get those under control, he'll have a shot at getting into one of these.

It sounds as though we both had some prayers answered this week 🙂  Keep up the good work!!

All our best,

Maria n Dave

MeNDave
                                                                Participant

That is awesome news Robert!!  I was hoping you would post soon with something upbeat – David tried to get into the merk trial in Pittsburgh, but we discovered his brain mets.  I'm hoping that maybe once they get those under control, he'll have a shot at getting into one of these.

It sounds as though we both had some prayers answered this week 🙂  Keep up the good work!!

All our best,

Maria n Dave

MeNDave
                                                                  Participant

All our best,

Maria n Dave

triciad
                                                                    Participant

Such exciting news.  Sending prayers for continued success!

triciad
                                                                      Participant

Laurie from maine
                                                                          Participant

HOORAY!! Such wonderful news, thank you for sharing!!

I am hopeful with the great results people are having and the ASCO conference that will push the drug companies to open up more trials and give stage 4 people more options.

I also was in line to get on a PD-1 trial in Boston but was knocked out by a brain met.  I am hopeful that once that is zapped I can find one that is open and will take me.

Keep us posted – and go out and CELEBRATE!!

laurie from maine 🙂

Laurie from maine
                                                                            Participant

I am hopeful with the great results people are having and the ASCO conference that will push the drug companies to open up more trials and give stage 4 people more options.

I also was in line to get on a PD-1 trial in Boston but was knocked out by a brain met.  I am hopeful that once that is zapped I can find one that is open and will take me.

laurie from maine 🙂

Laurie from maine
                                                                              Participant

laurie from maine 🙂

triciad
                                                                              Participant

yoopergirl
                                                                                Participant

Great news and so promising for the rest of us hoping to get into that trial. God Bless……

yoopergirl
                                                                                  Participant

Great news and so promising for the rest of us hoping to get into that trial. God Bless……

yoopergirl
                                                                                    Participant

Tina D
                                                                                      Participant

Thank God for answered prayers on your behalf 🙂

Great news.. thank you for sharing!!

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                        Participant

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                          Participant

Tina

hope4cure1
                                                                                            Participant

Congratulations!!!!!   Thanks so much for this wonderful news!!!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                                                              Participant

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                                                                Participant

Hope

jim Breitfeller
                                                                                                  Participant

Robert, Congrats!!!!!!

Keep an eye on the next few scans. Make sure that all (ALL) tumors are shrinking or have disappeared. If not, you may want do some IL-2 to finish the job. See my posts on combinatorial therapy at melanoma missionary.

Keep up the good job.

Jimmy B.

jim Breitfeller
                                                                                                    Participant

Robert, Congrats!!!!!!

Keep an eye on the next few scans. Make sure that all (ALL) tumors are shrinking or have disappeared. If not, you may want do some IL-2 to finish the job. See my posts on combinatorial therapy at melanoma missionary.

Keep up the good job.

Jimmy B.

jim Breitfeller
                                                                                                      Participant

Robert, Congrats!!!!!!

Keep up the good job.

Jimmy B.

jag
                                                                                                        Participant

Rob, 

Very happy to hear that you are responding and have tumor reduction.

May you keep responding and continue to do so for a long time to come.

I will say a prayer that God gives you a long (and full) life.

God Bless

John 

jag
                                                                                                          Participant

Rob, 

God Bless

John 

jag
                                                                                                            Participant

Rob, 

God Bless

John 

Gene_S
                                                                                                              Participant

Robert, Great news, thanks for sharing…  Gene

Gene_S
                                                                                                                Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                  Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                    Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                      Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                                        Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                          Participant

Sounds great! We are getting closer. I do have a couple of questions.

1.Has anyone been on a PD-1 trial that doe not require one to be HLA-02?

2.  Has anyone heard any results for someone that is c-kit positive?

Thank you.

JerryfromFauq

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                            Participant

Thank you.

JerryfromFauq

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                                              Participant

Thank you.

JerryfromFauq

rbruce
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Jerry, the Merck trial I'm on does not require the Hla typing.  I believe the only Anti-pd1 trials that require hla typing are the ones that include a vaccine component. I haven't heard any results broken down by mutation, but data from Asco has shown that, so far, only tumors expressing the pd ligand have responded.  I did not know this entering the trial, and my biopsy wasn't tested for it, so it seems I lucked out.  check out the abstracts for anti-pd1 frommAsco, lots of good data.

rbruce
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Jerry, the Merck trial I'm on does not require the Hla typing.  I believe the only Anti-pd1 trials that require hla typing are the ones that include a vaccine component. I haven't heard any results broken down by mutation, but data from Asco has shown that, so far, only tumors expressing the pd ligand have responded.  I did not know this entering the trial, and my biopsy wasn't tested for it, so it seems I lucked out.  check out the abstracts for anti-pd1 frommAsco, lots of good data.

NYKaren
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Robert, fantastic news.  I'm so happy for you!

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                                                                        Participant

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                                                                          Participant

karen

rbruce
                                                                                                                                            Participant

TSchulz
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Great news.  Way to forge ahead and thank you for sharing your postive news.  I will celebrate your good news today and hope for more to come – for us all! 

TSchulz
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Great news.  Way to forge ahead and thank you for sharing your postive news.  I will celebrate your good news today and hope for more to come – for us all! 

TSchulz
                                                                                                                                                Participant

kev1h
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Great news Robert!

I am on the Anti-PD1 with Merck at UCLA.  Here's hoping for similar results! 

~K

kev1h
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Great news Robert!

~K

kev1h
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Great news Robert!

~K

Erinlisay38
                                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                                            Hi I’m on bms pd1 trial in Boston just had my first 8 week scan and its bad news all tumors have progressed and new tumors have popped up ;( I get 2 more treatments then another scan in 6 weeks if tumors continue to grow I’m off the trial Not sure what’s next for me I already failed yervoy
                                                                                                                                                            Erinlisay38
                                                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                                                              Hi I’m on bms pd1 trial in Boston just had my first 8 week scan and its bad news all tumors have progressed and new tumors have popped up ;( I get 2 more treatments then another scan in 6 weeks if tumors continue to grow I’m off the trial Not sure what’s next for me I already failed yervoy
                                                                                                                                                              Erinlisay38
                                                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                                                Erinlisay38
                                                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                                                  POW
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Erin, it would be helplful if you would post your message again as a new thread so more people will see it and be able to  respond. Your news is definitely disappointing and somewhat scary. You deserve to get the best advice here that we can provide.

Erinlisay38
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                                                      Ok thanks I will do that as soon as I figure out how to lol I’d like to hear from others
                                                                                                                                                                      Erinlisay38
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                                                        Ok thanks I will do that as soon as I figure out how to lol I’d like to hear from others
                                                                                                                                                                        Erinlisay38
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                                                          POW
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Erin, it would be helplful if you would post your message again as a new thread so more people will see it and be able to  respond. Your news is definitely disappointing and somewhat scary. You deserve to get the best advice here that we can provide.

POW
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Erinlisay38
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                Erinlisay38
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                                                            Viewing 41 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics