The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

anti-LAG-3 Trial

Forums General Melanoma Community anti-LAG-3 Trial

Participant

If you've seen my last few posts you know that my latest scan, a PET done in March, revealed that Keytruda had gotten rid of my lung nodules and my skin spots, while still visible, were no longer active. But I have lymph nodes in my chest that are now positive after being confirmed by biopsy. Plan A was to start radiation, and afterward resume Keytruda.

On Wednesday we shifted to Plan B. I saw Dr. Sharfman at Johns Hopkins. We discussed whether my oncologist should resume Keytruda while I was getting radiation, to try and take advantage of the "synergy" that has been discovered between radiation and immunotherapy. But he also mentioned that he had asked his research nurse to look for trials that I would fit into.

Shortly after we got home Dr. Sharfman called. He offered me a spot in a trial comparing the effectiveness of a new immunotherapy agent, known as "anti-LAG-3" at the moment, when given alone and in combination with Opdivo. He said he thought my prospects were better in the trial than with radiation and Keytruda. So I told him that if that was his recommendation then that is what I would do. Now they're doing that time honored American tradition of waiting for my insurance to clear me, so I can

I was wondering whether anyone else here is participating in this trial, at JHU or elsewhere. If so, what have been your experience with side effects and such? And more importantly, is it working? The nurse I spoke to today told me that Dr. Sharfman recommended this because there have been several melanoma patients who have gotten good results.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        betsyl
        Participant

Hi mrsaxde,

I can't shed any light, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with this trial. I hope it works well for you and that you feel great during the treatment.

-Betsy

mrsaxde
            Participant

Thank you so much Betsy!

Bubbles
            Participant

i have not taken anti-LAG-3, and while this report does not really provide the info you seek, it does have some background info that may interest you: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/06/how-to-make-anti-pd1-work-better-with.html  Additionally, Weber in articles…and in reports and conferences on melanoma with other melanoma experts…has touted what he and others refer to as novel therapies (anti-LAG-3 being one of them) combined with anti-PD-1 as the promising future of melanoma treatment

I wish you well.  Celeste

mrsaxde
                Participant

Thank you Celeste, for both the info and your well-wishes. I'm really stressed at the moment from waiting for my insurance to approve my participation, and then worrying whether I'll pass the screening. But I trust Dr. Sharfman completely. So when he told me he thought this trial held the most promise for me, I didn't hesitate to agree to do it. We're about 120 miles from Johns Hopkins, so the schedule for the first couple of weeks is going to be taxing, but after that a trip to Baltimore once every two weeks is certainly doable. And I'm an Orioles fan, so there'll certainly be some baseball involved! 🙂

raun cesar
                Participant

It's even diificult to imagine what everyine is going through here, i just wish you luck in trials and speedy recovery ahead

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics