The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Another Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Another Question

Participant

Prior to the sentinel node biopsy I'm scheduled for lymphoscintigraphy. Does that mean I have to be placed in a tube like a closed MRI machine? I'm really clausterphobic. The surgeon didn't explain this to me but I've been searching for information online. 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        jvictoria
        Participant

Here's some info… the image of the machine is very similar to the one the used for me at Moffitt, more open than an MRI but still a little tight. I would ask your doctor if he could prescribe a light sedative for you.

http://www.bidmc.org/Centers-and-Departments/Departments/Radiology/Exams/Locations/Exams.aspx

jvictoria
          Participant

Here's some info… the image of the machine is very similar to the one the used for me at Moffitt, more open than an MRI but still a little tight. I would ask your doctor if he could prescribe a light sedative for you.

http://www.bidmc.org/Centers-and-Departments/Departments/Radiology/Exams/Locations/Exams.aspx

jvictoria
            Participant

jennunicorn
              Participant

The first thing you do that day is get injected a few times around your primary site, where you had the biopsy, with a radioactive solution. You hang out for a while while it spreads through the lymphatic system to the nearest sentinel nodes. Then, they have to find the nodes that light up, so they use an imaging machine. For myself, I did not actually go all the way in the machine, but that's because my primary was on my leg and so it drained to my groin, which means I only had to go waist deep in the machine and my head stayed free, which was nice. I believe you said yours was on your leg as well, so will probably be similar for you. Then, you can see on a screen where these nodes are.. I called them radioactive beans.. that's kind of what they looked like. I had a few light up, then the doctor marked me with a sharpie with "X" in a few different areas around my groin to give the surgeon an idea of where to go. Then, while in surgery, the surgeon has his own tool to use to find the nodes while he's inside.

That was my experience, and I can't imagine it will be much different for you. Hope that helps explain a little more.

All the best,

momof4boys
                  Participant
                    This was my exact experience as well.
                    momof4boys
                    Participant
                      momof4boys
                      Participant
                      jennunicorn
                      Participant

The first thing you do that day is get injected a few times around your primary site, where you had the biopsy, with a radioactive solution. You hang out for a while while it spreads through the lymphatic system to the nearest sentinel nodes. Then, they have to find the nodes that light up, so they use an imaging machine. For myself, I did not actually go all the way in the machine, but that's because my primary was on my leg and so it drained to my groin, which means I only had to go waist deep in the machine and my head stayed free, which was nice. I believe you said yours was on your leg as well, so will probably be similar for you. Then, you can see on a screen where these nodes are.. I called them radioactive beans.. that's kind of what they looked like. I had a few light up, then the doctor marked me with a sharpie with "X" in a few different areas around my groin to give the surgeon an idea of where to go. Then, while in surgery, the surgeon has his own tool to use to find the nodes while he's inside.

That was my experience, and I can't imagine it will be much different for you. Hope that helps explain a little more.

All the best,

jennunicorn
                        Participant

All the best,

Aloha14
                          Participant

Thank you Juan, Jenn, Momof4boys! This information and the link to the machine picture, has lowered my stress about getting this done. It is my leg so going in the machine part way should be ok. I'm scheduled for the melanoma surgery one hour after the lymphoscinitigraphy so I guess I won't be in that machine for hours. Thanks to others for the tip about numbing medicine when they give you the shots of the radioactive stuff. I'm going to ask for that. 

Aloha14
                            Participant

Thank you Juan, Jenn, Momof4boys! This information and the link to the machine picture, has lowered my stress about getting this done. It is my leg so going in the machine part way should be ok. I'm scheduled for the melanoma surgery one hour after the lymphoscinitigraphy so I guess I won't be in that machine for hours. Thanks to others for the tip about numbing medicine when they give you the shots of the radioactive stuff. I'm going to ask for that. 

Aloha14
                              Participant

Kim K
                                Participant

Actually it takes time for the image to be produced and you will need to stay in the machine for a good bit of time while that happens.  Basically there is a screen in the machine that will record the radioactivity over time.  The hot nodes give off more particles and that part of the screen will get more "hits" and this creates the image on the screen.  They will use a syringe with radioactive material and will outline your body so there is record of that to help guide the location of your SNB.  They don't squirt it out or anything, just use it like a wand to create the image.

My SNB was my right axilla.  I was in that machine for about an hour.  I basically slept.  They can give you something to relax so you can stay very still.

You in Hawaii?  I live in Hilo.

KK

Kim K
                                  Participant

Actually it takes time for the image to be produced and you will need to stay in the machine for a good bit of time while that happens.  Basically there is a screen in the machine that will record the radioactivity over time.  The hot nodes give off more particles and that part of the screen will get more "hits" and this creates the image on the screen.  They will use a syringe with radioactive material and will outline your body so there is record of that to help guide the location of your SNB.  They don't squirt it out or anything, just use it like a wand to create the image.

My SNB was my right axilla.  I was in that machine for about an hour.  I basically slept.  They can give you something to relax so you can stay very still.

KK

Kim K
                                    Participant

KK

Aloha14
                                      Participant

Thanks KK. The hospital just called and tomorrow I have to be at Nuclear Medicine 4 hours before my surgery. They said the radioactive stuff takes time to move around your body and that while I'm waiting I can get up and walk around. This all sounds very scary even if painless.

I'm in CA but spend time in Maui. Also been to the Big Island. 

Aloha14
                                        Participant

Thanks KK. The hospital just called and tomorrow I have to be at Nuclear Medicine 4 hours before my surgery. They said the radioactive stuff takes time to move around your body and that while I'm waiting I can get up and walk around. This all sounds very scary even if painless.

Aloha14
                                          Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics