The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Another Question – Brain Mets (maybe for Jag)

Forums General Melanoma Community Another Question – Brain Mets (maybe for Jag)

• This topic has 18 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jag.
    Participant

What if someone had a tumour last November and some of it seems a bit bigger.  They thing it's mostly dead tissues, but now they're double checking with their group of people.  What happens if it's growing and a tumour that can't ben gamma knifed, what are the other options?  What if cranitomoy isn't a possibility? 

I have 4th infusion of ipi (on my reinduction) so I'm hoping the reasing it could be gettign bigger is because of ip.

Lisa

What if someone had a tumour last November and some of it seems a bit bigger.  They thing it's mostly dead tissues, but now they're double checking with their group of people.  What happens if it's growing and a tumour that can't ben gamma knifed, what are the other options?  What if cranitomoy isn't a possibility? 

I have 4th infusion of ipi (on my reinduction) so I'm hoping the reasing it could be gettign bigger is because of ip.

Lisa

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hi Lisa
        I can’t tell you the answer you are looking for but I understand why you are asking. I have an MRI tomorrow for brain mets and I am also being reintroduced to Yervoy, my second infusion is due in 4 days. I am concerned for the same reasons you mention. what if there is growth, could it be from the IPI if not what else can be done. I already had the WBR back in the fall and although a few weeks after final dose I had fatigue and burns on my head I feel I haven’t lost much else and strength is returning. Unlike most people on this site i have more side effects from IPI than I do from the Zelboraf . Itch rash fatigue nausea etc from IPI. Some worts that appeared and then disappeared with Zelboraf doses. Good luck to your future fight.
        Kathy D
        Hi Lisa
        I can’t tell you the answer you are looking for but I understand why you are asking. I have an MRI tomorrow for brain mets and I am also being reintroduced to Yervoy, my second infusion is due in 4 days. I am concerned for the same reasons you mention. what if there is growth, could it be from the IPI if not what else can be done. I already had the WBR back in the fall and although a few weeks after final dose I had fatigue and burns on my head I feel I haven’t lost much else and strength is returning. Unlike most people on this site i have more side effects from IPI than I do from the Zelboraf . Itch rash fatigue nausea etc from IPI. Some worts that appeared and then disappeared with Zelboraf doses. Good luck to your future fight.
        Kathy D
        Hi Lisa
        Kathy D
        killmel
        Participant

I think that your concern that IPI may be causing tumors in the brain is well founded. In a webinar:

RADIATION TREATMENT FOR BRAIN METASTASES IN MELANOMA
          Presented by Veronica Chiang, MD
          January, 2012

Dr. Chiang indicates many patients are getting brain tumors on IPI, and they are studing if there is a "cause and effect".

My heart goes out to you because there is nothing scarier than tumors in the brain. That is why patients cannot do clinical trials until brain mets are treated & stable. I cannot imagine how you must feel to think that doctors are going to open your brain.

God Bless you.

killmel
          Participant

I think that your concern that IPI may be causing tumors in the brain is well founded. In a webinar:

January, 2012

Dr. Chiang indicates many patients are getting brain tumors on IPI, and they are studing if there is a "cause and effect".

My heart goes out to you because there is nothing scarier than tumors in the brain. That is why patients cannot do clinical trials until brain mets are treated & stable. I cannot imagine how you must feel to think that doctors are going to open your brain.

God Bless you.

killmel
            Participant

January, 2012

God Bless you.

jag
              Participant

Hey Lisa, my approach to your dilemma would be to find out who can do the surgery and when.  Brain surgeries are conterintuitive to what most people think.  Since their are no sensory nerves inside the noggin, all that really hurts is the skull that they have cut through and the little bit of skin on your scalp.  It is always better to have it taken out surgically then to sit around, wait and wonder.  Definitely find a surgeon who has a lot of experience with this type of thing, I have had six, and at this point, I usually see them as a way to get better rather than something to be scared of.  Hopefully IPI will finish off whatever is left, if there is a tumor, but the smaller your tumor burden the easier it is to allow IPI to work.

Oh yeah, don't be afraid of steroids.  Even with the immune system trying to do it's job.  If Ipi is attacking your tumor, it may slow down the attack rate, but a sudden kill would likely cause a lot of inflammation.  It is unlikely that it will stop working altogether.  I have been on about 7-8 courses of steroids over time, and at one point I had to get my Rabies titer checked when I got scratched by a rabid kitten during biochemotherapy.   My WBC count was virtually nil, but the titer was normal.(this after 14yrs of having been vaccinated in the past).

Lisa13
                  Participant
                    This message means the world to me!

Before I jump into more questions, I need to know so ethic else. What happens if your tumour what too deep to have surgery? I know that most of it ism dead tumour, but they’re checking out the rest it.

Lisa13
                    Participant

Before I jump into more questions, I need to know so ethic else. What happens if your tumour what too deep to have surgery? I know that most of it ism dead tumour, but they’re checking out the rest it.

Lisa13
                      Participant

kylez
                        Participant

Lisa, let us know what news you get this week.

How firm did your docs seem about the location being inoperable? Did you get to talk to a neurosurgeon directly about your case, or just your oncologist and/or radiation oncologist? How about looking for a second opinion? Some facilities may have access to techniques others don't? 

I stumbled across this blog of a glioblastoma patient that mentioned that "…Dr Mark Bernstein at the Toronto Hospital (Western Division)… is perhaps the foremost neurosurgeon in Canada…" (although the blog is recalling events from 15 years ago, he is still practicing there.) This patient was seeking a second opinion after the initial opinion from his neurosurgeon at Wellesley Central. In his case the 2 opinions were the same, though in some case they might not agree. It sounds like Krembil Neuroscience Centre is a big neurosurgery center in Canada?

My second (of 5) lesions was bleeding some months after being cyberknifed. They ended up resecting it (so I understand why you're wanting to find out what options you have…) I've now had 3 tumors resected (including the one that had been bleeding out), with lesions #4 and #5 treated only once with Gamma Knife (last GK round was on 6/17/11.) 

Keep holdling on, and taking it one day at a time.

kylez
                          Participant

How firm did your docs seem about the location being inoperable? Did you get to talk to a neurosurgeon directly about your case, or just your oncologist and/or radiation oncologist? How about looking for a second opinion? Some facilities may have access to techniques others don't? 

I stumbled across this blog of a glioblastoma patient that mentioned that "…Dr Mark Bernstein at the Toronto Hospital (Western Division)… is perhaps the foremost neurosurgeon in Canada…" (although the blog is recalling events from 15 years ago, he is still practicing there.) This patient was seeking a second opinion after the initial opinion from his neurosurgeon at Wellesley Central. In his case the 2 opinions were the same, though in some case they might not agree. It sounds like Krembil Neuroscience Centre is a big neurosurgery center in Canada?

My second (of 5) lesions was bleeding some months after being cyberknifed. They ended up resecting it (so I understand why you're wanting to find out what options you have…) I've now had 3 tumors resected (including the one that had been bleeding out), with lesions #4 and #5 treated only once with Gamma Knife (last GK round was on 6/17/11.) 

kylez
                            Participant

jag
                              Participant

Lisa, in my case it helped to discuss the possible side effects of the surgery and understand the ideas, mull them over and then consider the alternatives.  In my case, since the tumors were not radiation responsive, the alternative was death.  I emphasized this to my neurosurgeon, and he understood it completely.  Where are you being seen and who would be reviewing your case for neurosurgery?  You are able to obtain digital copies of your MRI, and have them reviewed at other facilities.  

Glad I can be of help.  Let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm Regards 

John

jag
                                Participant

Lisa, in my case it helped to discuss the possible side effects of the surgery and understand the ideas, mull them over and then consider the alternatives.  In my case, since the tumors were not radiation responsive, the alternative was death.  I emphasized this to my neurosurgeon, and he understood it completely.  Where are you being seen and who would be reviewing your case for neurosurgery?  You are able to obtain digital copies of your MRI, and have them reviewed at other facilities.  

Warm Regards 

John

jag
                                  Participant

Warm Regards 

John

jag
                                  Participant

Hey Lisa, my approach to your dilemma would be to find out who can do the surgery and when.  Brain surgeries are conterintuitive to what most people think.  Since their are no sensory nerves inside the noggin, all that really hurts is the skull that they have cut through and the little bit of skin on your scalp.  It is always better to have it taken out surgically then to sit around, wait and wonder.  Definitely find a surgeon who has a lot of experience with this type of thing, I have had six, and at this point, I usually see them as a way to get better rather than something to be scared of.  Hopefully IPI will finish off whatever is left, if there is a tumor, but the smaller your tumor burden the easier it is to allow IPI to work.

Oh yeah, don't be afraid of steroids.  Even with the immune system trying to do it's job.  If Ipi is attacking your tumor, it may slow down the attack rate, but a sudden kill would likely cause a lot of inflammation.  It is unlikely that it will stop working altogether.  I have been on about 7-8 courses of steroids over time, and at one point I had to get my Rabies titer checked when I got scratched by a rabid kitten during biochemotherapy.   My WBC count was virtually nil, but the titer was normal.(this after 14yrs of having been vaccinated in the past).

jag
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics