The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Annoying Donation Banner pop up

Forums General Melanoma Community Annoying Donation Banner pop up

Participant

Seriously?  I come here with a problem and you want my money?  

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

Is it that difficult to X out of it?  If no one donated (not saying you should) do you think,this resource would be here?

DaveNB
          Participant

I agree with SABKLYN. This is the second time i've seen this complaint. I sure would not waste a second of time to post a complaint. This board is a great resource! I'm sure there are those that are happy to give some support ($$$$).

Battling stage 4 has given me the perspective not to get excited over these tiny things.

JUST LET IT ROLL OFF YOUR BACK!

Thank you to all that have gotten past a little pop-up and contributed valuable information!!!

LET IT JUST ROLL OFF YOUR BACK!

DaveNB
              Participant

CORRECTION! I did not intend to repeat the roll off statement.

ed williams
              Participant

I wish we could get rid of the"Anon button" and keep the "donate now" pop up!!!

Cooper
                  Participant

So everyone would get rid of their fake names, like Melanoma Joe, Bubbles?  It is all about getting money!!!  Not helping patients.  So many folks use fake names what's the dif?  Check out where these groups get money and where is the transparency. Check to see what salaries and how much goes to admin.

Cooper
                    Participant

Ed Williams to get rid of anon, then we would get rid of the posts here:  for example Nemesis? Oldwife?  Safklyn? AdrianC? you are the only one listing a real name.  What is the differrence?  Between those names and Anon?  Do you really think people put out their real names on the internet?

Bubbles
                      Participant

Hi Anon, 

Since you keep calling out my "fake" name, when I am not connected to you or a particular post…I thought I'd give you a little intel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   My name is Helen Celeste Muller Morris.  Everyone on this site can find that out along with my email and geographical address. I am 53 years old.  I live in TN.  I have two amazing adult children, a fabulous husband and a dog named Karma!  AND….wait for it….BUBBLES is also my name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My husband has called me that for YEARS….due to my sweet, charming and ebullient personality!!!  HA!  Furthermore, when your nickname is attached to your REAL name (as I sign all my posts with "celeste" and have my blog link attached so that that there is NO confusion whatsoever in who I am or what I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) it is not the same as being "anon", now is it?????  And if you are referring to me as a group?  You are WRONG.  I am no group.  I am me.  I have worked tirelessly to spread accurate, evidence based (with all sources sited), information and hope to melanoma patients and their families across the globe.  I have no ads on my blog.  I have had offers, and at this point could be making a fair amount of change from them, but I have declined.  I have been invited to give paid interviews to a wide variety of companies….from makers of intralesionals, immunotherapy, as well as targeted therapy.  I will not make money off the backs of my melanoma peeps.  Hence forth, leave my name….ALL of them…out of your bitter weirdness.  I do not have time or tolerance for your crap and accusations.  If you have a problem with sites who take money and are sponsored by BMS, Amgen, Novartis, Merck, Genentech, etc…. http://melanomainternational.org/who-we-are/patrons-sponsors/#.Wmie0ainF3g ….I suggest you take it up with them.

Additionally, I write lots of things.  I make lots of things.  I do not use my blog or this site to sell them.  Again, if you don't like commercialized web sites that claim to be helping melanoma patients (here's an example:  https://melanomainternational.ecwid.com/) take it up with THEM.  Quit yelling about folks on this forum.  We are not paid.  We all actually have melanoma or take care of a loved one who does.

By the way….before I could even get this posted…..another "anon" …now whether this is the same "anon" or a different one…who can tell????  Which is also part of the problem when some of the super kind, intelligent, and helpful folks on this board try to share real information.  How do you know which "anon" you are responding to and how to reach out to them with information you find???  Whereas, even if the name used is clearly a "fake" one….at least if the person consistently calls themselves Humpty Dumpty you at least can attach their self described circumstance to them and find them again if there is a need.  However, I digress.  This response is primarily for the first "anon" after Ed's post.

But, to the later….yes…there are those who put their "REAL" name and information out there on the internet!!!!  ME!!!!  I ain't got nothing to hide.  Helen Celeste Muller Morris, ADN, BSN, MSN, PNP-C, Stage IV melanoma patient, DOB 7/30/1964

Where is the transparency??????  Are you kidding????  Anything else you'd like to know??????????????????????????????????????

Janner
                        Participant

There was a long and hard debate about the anon option way back when.  It serves a specific purpose.  When people know family members use a site but they want to ask a question in a more anonymous fashion – so as not to either clue in or worry a family member.  Or when someone wants to ask a more sensitive question (either if they are known or unknown here), it gives a measure of anonymity when you can't tie a question to a known persona (whether the name is real or not).  It is an attempt to be sensitive to all users who might not post a sensitive question otherwise.  Anon's are still attached to a real account behind the scenes.  Their info is just not displayed.  I have to admit, I have used the anon button from time to time.  I post so much and sometimes prefer not to have my name with every post.   I'm not looking for feedback so anon is more harmless there.  (We can agree to disagree :).  I've also had emails from people who were afraid to ask their question here out in the open.  So there is good intent even though it can be frustrating for the rest of us when there are just too many anons and you can't follow someone's story.  For the most part, I'd encourage everyone to post without the anon button.  It makes it easier for the rest to follow a coherent story of a single person and our replies can reflect that.  Just my 2 cents.  Jan (Janner)

TexMelanomex
                        Participant

Like I've said before….if you want the banner to go away, donate money! If that doesn't work you have my most insincere apology Anon. Seriously, lighten up. I have been on this site for almost a year and have never been directly solicited for anything and yet this site provides an invaluable resource for all of us. This could be shocking but most non-profit sites solicit donations because its how they survive. 

Cooper
                            Participant

So Bubbles you want transparency, you see it at MIF by the links you post.  Here is where MRF gets their suppport:https://www.melanoma.org/sites/default/files/Corporate%20Sponsors%20and%20Partners%20web%20page%20%283%29.pdf

jennunicorn
                              Participant

Charity Navigator will give you all the info you need: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=10208

MRF has been nothing but the top resource for support and knowledge for me and many others. We all want melanoma to be a thing of the past… and in this world the only way to get there is through donations and other ways of funding… because this world doesn't spin without money unfortunately. 

Bubbles
                                Participant

Sweetie.  YOU are the person who wanted transparency and called my name (actually called out my "fake" name) on a post and topic I have NEVER made a comment on.  I made clear the lack of funds/sponsorship I have vs other forums.  I did not think I needed to give you "transparency" for the site you are ON as it is listed very clearly….very transparently….on the button that says "about us/corporate sponsors and partners".  The lack of transparency lies in your title of anon.  But, that's okay.  I don't know who peed in your cornflakes, but I hope you feel better soon!!!   heartBubbles!

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Sorry, Jenn.  This should have been under the prior post…but there it 'tis.  You made very good points.  C

SABKLYN
                                    Participant

If it offends you, no one is forcing you to stay.  You’re acting like a childish ass

Viewing 3 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics